2013 Dodge Dart: replace AF on miles or time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to us 2013 Dodge Dart, 2.0L engine and manual transmission (yay for manuals!), bought last month with 13,400 km (8375 miles). The car looks like new. The exhaust heat shield was shiny like it came off the assembly line. Cool little car. Got a good deal as it was sitting on a Ford lot and small car sales have slumped due to cheaper gasoline prices.

The owners manual says to change the AF every 48,000 km (30,000 miles) or 3 years. I checked the filter and it's barely dirty in a few spots. So knowing what I know now about AF (thanks BITOG!), it's currently well seasoned and filtering at a high efficiency, meaning I should just leave it in till 48,000 km. But then why did FCA state a time to change in addition to miles? Do they know the AF seal will degrade in 3 years? Is it a liability issue only? Anything specific to this engine series (which I doubt as it's the FCA World Gas Engine platform used by a few other manufacturers)?

What would you gents do?

You will hear a LOT of differing opinions on this one.

I change mine twice a year typically, but up until recently I lived on the coast in a really sandy environment and they would get really nasty very quickly.

Now that I have relocated, I will probably do it once a year.

30,000 sounds like a safe number to me, you should be fine.

In my experience (used to own a 13 Dart 2.0) though I dropped a CAI in it.
Anyway. The time is due to moisture being trapped in filter housing over time, which compromises the integrity of the filter itself.

The OEM filter on mine was a MANN built filter.
Enjoy the car, make sure you aren't part of the Brake Fluid Contamination Recall.

I inspect mine and change them when they look dirty. Don't give it much thought.

If it was my car, I'd change as much out as I could, and count the mileage from that point. You don't know the actual conditions the car was used.

The months/mileage rating is due to the manufacturer covering as many possibilities and conditions, some filters are more prone to moisture, others to dustier conditions, etc., so they average out the life span taking all those possibilities into consideration.

For me air filters are about every 5 years because that's when the gasket may start to get less pliable. The element usually isn't very plugged after 5 years as a few users with filter minders have shown.

For people in Sandy and dusty environment it's a different story

It depends on how much dust you experience in your area. It's pretty common on the plains to have heavy dust and pollen, especially if you live in a rural area and/or travel unpaved roads frequently. If that is the case change it every 24K km, otherwise follow the regular schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back