Reuse fram XG for 1 more O/C?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dad's 08 escape with the 2.3 I4 (154k) is coming up on another oil change. Ive been using PP 0w20 last 2 oil changes and been putting a new fram XG on it each time. O/C is usually 6-7k burns about a quart through each O/C. Can/should i reuse it for another o/c or put a tough guard on it?

Also plan on doing the VCG 2 since its seeping a bit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I used an XG9018 for 20,000 miles. The filter appeared to be plugged when I removed it. I think 15,000 is probably the limit.

+1 change the filter at 15k and do a cut and post for us.

I used an XG9018 for 20,000 miles. The filter appeared to be plugged when I removed it. I think 15,000 is probably the limit.

What basis did you have that it was plugged, and what solids would plug it?

I operate under the principal of, "If it is time to change the oil, its time to change the filter."

Filter=Cheap. Engine=Expensive.

YMMV. Good luck!

Last edited:

Do you have pics of this plugged filter? Can I see?

Honda actually recommends changing the filter every other oil change. Filters take some miles to begin filtering efficiently. I just did a UOA after 2 oil changes and 15k miles on a Fram xg6607 and there were no signs of filter trouble. Seems like a good idea to me to do two oil changes per filter.

Originally Posted By: micmac
Honda actually recommends changing the filter every other oil change. Filters take some miles to begin filtering efficiently. I just did a UOA after 2 oil changes and 15k miles on a Fram xg6607 and there were no signs of filter trouble. Seems like a good idea to me to do two oil changes per filter.

If Honda recommended everyone to jump off of a cliff, will you be one to follow?
smirk.gif

If it were my vehicle I would change the oil filter EVERY OCI!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

I never heard when someone passes away it said "he sure wasted a lot of that money changing his oil filter once an oil change instead of every two changes." I look t it as a subway sandwich once a year extra. My owners manual says never change the trans fluid, I don't follow that either. I like to live like there's no tomorrow and spend big.

I think the part about actually getting better filtering of your oil is where most of us get interested. New filters don't work as well and Fram has designed a darn good filter in the xg series that will not fail within 15k miles. But you are correct, nothing we discuss here on BITOG about cars or oil will flash before our eyes come the end.

Originally Posted By: micmac
I think the part about actually getting better filtering of your oil is where most of us get interested. New filters don't work as well and Fram has designed a darn good filter in the xg series that will not fail within 15k miles. But you are correct, nothing we discuss here on BITOG about cars or oil will flash before our eyes come the end.

The only problem with that thinking is that relation between efficiency and restriction are not linear, it is a square root function. The more particles you are catching the flow is being restricted twice that rate.

In addition 15k is a long time to find out if you are starting to have a failure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86

At the end of this thread you will find a pic of the filter that I believe was plugged to the point it was used beyond it's reasonable limits. It appears to be covered in carbon. The UOA came back fine. Insolubles were at %0.3.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3994431/3

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86

At the end of this thread you will find a pic of the filter that I believe was plugged to the point it was used beyond it's reasonable limits. It appears to be covered in carbon. The UOA came back fine. Insolubles were at %0.3.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3994431/3

Just a little carbon at the end cap ... Not plugged. It was starting to get some dirt.

I've been having the same thoughts using an M1-210 on my caliber. I plan to change the oil at first at 3k miles to get a UOA done, but I'm not sure if i want to keep the filter on until the 6k.

For the most part I've always gone with 1 filter per OCI, with the thought that if I'm under there I might as well just change the darn thing.

The filter I posted a picture of was black in color when removed and this is the first filter I have seen that direct sunlight would not pass through. In my opinion it was used passed it's useful life. I'm sure some oil was still passing through the media but the flow rate must have been seriously compromised.

I believe the oil had difficulty passing through the media and a large percentage of the oil began to flow up and across the media towards the bypass valve. In doing so the oil deposited solid particles where it had to stop and turn to move around the end cap of the filter. Looks like a sign of restricted media to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back