14psi bypass pressure for small engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to use the xg3614 fram oil filter which has a 14psi bypass valve. The oem filter is 8-11psi. Will the higher bypass opening pressure cause the engine to starve for oil? I want to use this on my commercial mower cause it's better than cheaper than the oem filter, except I have no idea what kind of oil pressure the engine creates. Probably not much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be fine. What filter does the OEM cross over too? Is it a 3614 in a Fram?

The xx3614 and the longer xx3600 is a very popular size for many OPE engines. You'll be fine OP!
thumbsup2.gif

sure a big difference. I personally wouldn't use it but with that being said it could never pose a problem. To many variables like temp and weight.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Should be fine. What filter does the OEM cross over too? Is it a 3614 in a Fram?

Yes. I think someone one here cross referenced it for me a while back when I gave them the OEM oil filter number.

If it's a direct cross reference then no worries. A filter's bypass valve setting depends a lot on the filter's design, so 20 different oil filters specified for the same engine might not have the same exact bypass valve setting, just like you showed in your first post.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I want to use the xg3614 fram oil filter which has a 14psi bypass valve. The oem filter is 8-11psi. Will the higher bypass opening pressure cause the engine to starve for oil?

No. Perhaps the most important function of the bypass valve is to prevent the filter from destroying itself so that you never filter oil again. Thus, if the bypass valve is rated a few PSI than the engine spec, the filter itself will be strong enough not to crush at the bypass pressure.

Typical oil pressures are in the 60 PSI range at full flow. A few PSI due to a different bypass valve won't make that much of a difference.

Originally Posted By: kohnen
I want to use the xg3614 fram oil filter which has a 14psi bypass valve. The oem filter is 8-11psi. Will the higher bypass opening pressure cause the engine to starve for oil?

No. Perhaps the most important function of the bypass valve is to prevent the filter from destroying itself so that you never filter oil again. Thus, if the bypass valve is rated a few PSI than the engine spec, the filter itself will be strong enough not to crush at the bypass pressure.

Typical oil pressures are in the 60 PSI range at full flow. A few PSI due to a different bypass valve won't make that much of a difference.

I wouldn't think it would be that high in a 15hp engine, but I'm just guessing.

Originally Posted By: kohnen

The filter's bypass valve setting has no connection to or control over the engine's oil pressure.

I want to use the xg3614 fram oil filter which has a 14psi bypass valve. The oem filter is 8-11psi. Will the higher bypass opening pressure cause the engine to starve for oil? I want to use this on my commercial mower cause it's better than cheaper than the oem filter, except I have no idea what kind of oil pressure the engine creates. Probably not much.

maybe your changing the filter more often than you need....that would save you plenty of money.

Many, many people use 3614 type filters on yard equipment, I have never heard of a problem.

Quote:
Many, many people use 3614 type filters on yard equipment, I have never heard of a problem.

Been running a Napa Gold 1348 on a Kohler engine ride on for years now with no issues. IMO, a better filter for half the cost of the OEM. Especially when the OEM "Premium" filter is now a yellow can ecore.
smirk.gif

In my experience, using an automotive filter application in place of the OPE filter that generally costs more just makes sense. Wouldn't sweat the bypass spec.

Filters for small engines don't even have bypass sometimes, none in the filter or engine block. I bought one like that once, Generac brand. You can see the loose spec 8-11 psi on the bypass spring, the oil pump isn't going to have trouble overcoming a few psi when and if the filter needs to bypass. The oil pumps are small compared to cars, and the 3614 is used on some good sized auto engines. There just isn't going to be a problem. Baldwin makes some 8 psi filters in that size the last time I was looking.

Originally Posted By: expat

Me either, I actually have a PH16 equivalent on mine right now. Looks huge but works just fine and added some capacity too.

So 14 psi is the pressure difference before and after going through the filter media right? I should have re worded this, so if the filter starts getting plugged up then the pressure differential increases and if their is more than a 14psi restriction then the bypass valve opens and lets oil bypass the filter media so the engine still gets oil right?

^^^ Yep, that's the whole purpose of the filter bypass valve. Too supply oil if the filter gets plugged up, and to also ensure the media doesn't tear of implode from the delta-p across it.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Yep, that's the whole purpose of the filter bypass valve. Too supply oil if the filter gets plugged up, and to also ensure the media doesn't tear of implode from the delta-p across it.

Yup. Because if there were no bypass valve, the oil pump would develop about 60 psi across the filter element. That would pretty much ensure the destruction of the filter. The engine would get oil, but it would be unfiltered oil with a healthy dose of other crud.

The bypass valve is not there to directly protect the engine. It is there to protect the filter from catastrophic failure due to temporary overload. Catastrophic filter failure would dump crud into the engine which would eventually damage the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back