Napa Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil is on sale here in canada, I never used it and its at a very good price.

Its dexos 1 approved I believe.

Is this good oil for my cruze 1.8 for at least 5k miles?

In the USA its essentially Valvoline SynPower.
Can't say if it's the same Canada.

If its the same I would say it should easily last 5000 miles even a short tripped.

Last edited:
I would think it would be fine for more than 5K in your non-turbo Cruze.
It should be fine for 5K in the 1.4T which is harder on oil than the 1.8.

Yes, you can use it in your Cruze for the full interval suggested by the OLM. Do they have the OLM in Canada?
08.gif

Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower. Look on the back of the bottle. If it says Ashland on the back, it's made by Valvoline and almost certainly the same up there (near the barcode, it'll say something like "manufactured for Napa by Ashland")

When the dealership oil change package runs out I may use this myself. Around here it is $3.49 a quart when on sale. Perfect price for the 5-6k oil changes I've been doing.

Great oil, great price. I use it for both my cars and in my fleet when I can. It is very similar if not the same as Valvoline Synpower at a better price.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Great oil, great price. I use it for both my cars and in my fleet when I can. It is very similar if not the same as Valvoline Synpower at a better price.

What OCI's do you run with it?

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
When the dealership oil change package runs out I may use this myself. Around here it is $3.49 a quart when on sale. Perfect price for the 5-6k oil changes I've been doing.

It's currently selling for $2.99 per quart. (Conventional NAPA is on sale for $2.19 per quart, through the end of May 2016.)

Originally Posted By: Pepsibottle1
Chiming in, my local NAPA representative all but confirmed it is relabeled Synpower. Identical in every way. Great life hack to save money but Valvoline needs to step up their syn game

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/valvolinesyn.htm
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/napasyn.htm

A common misconception here but they are definitely NOT identical in every way. Although the add packs seem to be ringers, even the tests you posted show much better cold performance for the Valvoline, pretty much confirming the name brand has better base stocks at the very least. In fact I can find syn blends with a better cold crank spec than that Napa Syn (Pennzoil Dexos Gold for example).

No that there is anything wrong with Napa syn, but it is not simply rebranded Synpower. It would make no marketing sense for Valvoline to off load gobs of their best oil on the cheap under a store brand name.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

No that there is anything wrong with Napa syn, but it is not simply rebranded Synpower. It would make no marketing sense for Valvoline to off load gobs of their best oil on the cheap under a store brand name.

Without saying anything about the actual data in the links, it actually makes tremendous sense for Valvoline to do this. NAPA moves a LOT of product, especially through their connections with independent auto shops. (My own mechanic, when I don't fix something myself, uses NAPA for 90% of his supplies and parts.) I'm sure NAPA was willing to commit to taking a large amount of house-branded oil knowing their professional customers will buy and use it for their customers' oil changes without hesitation.

NAPA's site has a 55 gallon barrel of synthetic oil that's working out to about $11.50 per GALLON. For a very usable oil -- one the mechanic can say "is made by Valvoline" -- that leaves a good bit of margin on a $50+ synthetic oil change.

Further, as a matter of supply chain, there's a cost associated with setting up another mixing facility for different blends. That cost would have to be weighed against simply repackaging the existing line's output.

I disagree with your assessment as no single other blender off loads their premium product as a store brand that we know of. Not even Warren who is best known for store brands.

But it's a moot point as the test specs linked (and supported elsewhere) clearly indicate Valvoline isn't doing it either.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I disagree with your assessment as no single other blender off loads their premium product as a store brand that we know of. Not even Warren who is best known for store brands.

But it's a moot point as the test specs linked (and supported elsewhere) clearly indicate Valvoline isn't doing it either.

The problem is Ashland has stated they are the same when questioned.
The claim they have no idea which bottles its going in when they blend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back