TGMO 0W20 7700 miles UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Mazda 2 with 97700 miles on the clock. Fram XG6607 filter changed every other oil change had 15000 miles when changed. Previously I had been using 0W20 Pennzoil Platinum.

Code:
Oil TGMO0W20

Miles 97700

Miles on oil 7700

Miles on filter 15000

Fe 7

Cr
Pb
Cu 5

Sn
Al 3

Ni
Ag
Ti
V

Si 7

Na 44

K 1

Mg 13

Ca 2250

Ba
P 738

Zn 854

Mo 106

Ba
Water < 0.05

Coolant No

Viscosity ( cSt 100C) 4.6

Base Number 4.1

Last edited:
I think the TBN indicates I could run this up to 10k miles, but how do you guys feel about the viscosity being down to 7.6?

With a TBN of 4.1 I agree you could go further....10K is probably doable.

The 'SkyActive' Mazda engines seem to do OK even when the 0w20 viscosity is diluted down into the 6 range (from fuel dilution)....7.7 shouldn't be a problem. I'd go for 10K and do a UOA...

Sadly, the 2011 Mazda2 doesn't have the skyactiv engine. It has the MZR ZY-VE, a low compression (10:1), multiport fuel injected, 1.5L engine making 100hp at 6000rpm and 98 lb ft of torque at 4000 rpm. I rarely see over 3000 rpm on my commute, so I'm not sure how much viscosity I really need
smile.gif

Last edited:
micmac, can you confirm the reported viscosity of this oil? Your post says 4.6 but the other posters are talking about it being 7.6.

I would think so.
Doesn't Fram claim an even longer duration for their Ultra long drain filter?

What you could do if you still have the used filter with 15K on it, is to cut it open to determine first hand how clogged it is, if at all.

Regarding extended filter usage, here's a really good data point from DrDave.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4053638/Re:_2013_Sportster_1200_5000_m#Post4053638

He had particle counts done at various stages in the life of the filter, and as the filter was used, the oil particle counts came WAY down, out past 15k miles.

At around the 20K mark, the particle count started to climb (still better than new oil in the bottle), as the filter loaded up and (possibly) went into bypass.

On my cars, I'm doing 20k (km, 16k miles) on the filters now that I've settled down to one oil for the fleet.

Does the Na level at 44ppm worry anyone else? TGMO 0w20 voa seem to indicate Na is not present in the formulation.

The guy I bought the car from put a Corksport cold air intake with a cone style air filter. It doesn't look like filtration is a problem at this point I guess? Na usually indicates coolant contamination?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: micmac
The guy I bought the car from put a Corksport cold air intake with a cone style air filter. It doesn't look like filtration is a problem at this point I guess? Na usually indicates coolant contamination?

Or residual additives from an oil like Valvoline

Previous fill was Pennzoil Platinum 0W20, and I did not change the oil on that oil change, so there is about 1/3 of a quart of PP left in there I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back