GM AutoTrak II fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend has a 1998 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 and I have a few loose ends to wrap up on it after the LIM gaskets I did this past weekend. It uses manual 4X4 and not the pushbutton system in the newer GM trucks. I don't know if the transfer case was serviced, but I ran the VIN through a VIN/RPO decoded and it says it uses a New Process 241 transfer case and I found out it uses AutoTrak II fluid. Is there a substitute for this GM-dealer only fluid - I wouldn't mind the dealer-only stuff but the nearest GM dealers are 30 miles away in any direction.

I had a Ram with a NP241, not sure if it's exactly the same as the one in your Chevy but mine also had a manual lever, I don't recall it containing any internal clutches. The unit called for Dex/Merc. I've run DexIII, ATF+3, ATF+4 and on one occasion, after a wheeling mishap, I drove it home 250 miles with 5w-30.

Might be something to look into if AutoTrak II isn't readily available.

Royal Purple recommends their Syncromax for applications that call for AutoTrak II.

Also, Amazon had AutoTrak II and it was pretty affordable.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Royal Purple recommends their Syncromax for applications that call for AutoTrak II.

Also, Amazon had AutoTrak II and it was pretty affordable.

Yep available on Amazon about $10/quart. It's even prime eligible or you could just pay for the faster shipping if you want.

ACDelco 10-4017 Auto-Trak II Transfer Case Fluid - 33.8 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002H8U3KK/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_reqkxbS3PW074

Originally Posted By: gomes512
I had a Ram with a NP241, not sure if it's exactly the same as the one in your Chevy but mine also had a manual lever, I don't recall it containing any internal clutches. The unit called for Dex/Merc. I've run DexIII, ATF+3, ATF+4 and on one occasion, after a wheeling mishap, I drove it home 250 miles with 5w-30.

Might be something to look into if AutoTrak II isn't readily available.

I'm going to climb underneath it to see if it's automatic or manual case - I checked the owner's manual and GM did specify ATF for the manual case, and AutoTrak for the automatic one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back