What oil should I use for 2000 cavalier that burns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Havoline High Mileage is on sale at Walmart for $13.XX. Minus a $5 rebate. Also applies to regular Havoline for $11.XX. Both are for the 5 qt jug. Great deal!

Man you guys are slow on the uptake with this one...

New user... Hits some big BITOG hot buttons (Lucas, synthetic causes leaks, etc.)... YouTube videos....

Originally Posted By: kschachn

New user... Hits some big BITOG hot buttons (Lucas, synthetic causes leaks, etc.)... YouTube videos....

I'm on the fence with this one.

If he mentioned Royal Purple though, it would be a troll for sure.

ndx5dg.jpg

2gtwzkp.jpg

25at7it.jpg

Last edited:
That leak doesn't look too bad, rent a torque wrench from auto zone/oreillys if u don't have one and check the valve cover bolts

Also wipe off and clean as much junk as you can so u can see exactly where it's coming from

Last edited:
+ 1 leak doesn't look too bad. not worse that the one of my diesel...and I don't need to top off within a 4700 miles OCI
laugh.gif

Careful not to over-torque these aluminium cover, with time I noticed they tend to become more brittle (or is it just Italian quality?).

Any name brand high mileage oil,Does that engine have a PCV valve ? If so,get the OEM version and change it. You'd be surprised how much oil burns as a result of a clogged PCV.

Last edited:
MaxLife Blend (red bottle) 5W-30. Start with that and do a few 3k OCIs to clean it up a bit. Go to 10W-40 after next winter if it's still using oil. Any cheap oil filter is fine. As usual, keep it topped off.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

With the format of the username, you might just be right. But I thought he was hanging out in GA or FL now?

I picked up valvolibe max life blend 10w30. And some stp additive with a Ac delco filter since I try typically to remain factory on filter unless if there's a major difference in qauility.
I checked the radiator reservoir and the coolant looks fine and full. So I'll have a friend whose more mechanically inclined then me do the oil change and evaluate if it needs a valve cover gasket or not. Should be easy either way though. The hardest part Iv been told is getting to the oil filter on these motors.
Anyhow I'll take a hack saw to the old filter and post pics.

Thanks for your advice so far guys.

Last edited:
Considering where you live you can use Pennzoil HM 10w-40 or 5w-30 if you want. Valvoline also receives praise here but I have had better results with Pennzoil.

I'll give the valvoline a try for 3k miles. If me and the lady are still together ill reevaluate it at the next change.
All of my friends, and family tell me to avoid pensoil at all costs unless if I want a gummed up motor lol I'm sure its a good oil now a days but no one I know will use it. Not trying to start a flame war either lol.

Originally Posted By: SeasonalEclipse
I'll give the valvoline a try for 3k miles. If me and the lady are still together ill reevaluate it at the next change.
All of my friends, and family tell me to avoid pensoil at all costs unless if I want a gummed up motor lol I'm sure its a good oil now a days but no one I know will use it. Not trying to start a flame war either lol.

It's not a flame war to point out ignorant statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back