2007 Explorer 4.0 upper and lower intake gaskets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
Has anyone on here ever had to do it? I have a buddy whose car needs them. Looks involved but I think I can do it.

It is pretty easy. There is only one set of gaskets, 6 o-rings, on the intake. While you have it off, take a real good look at the thermostat housing, they leak all the time on the 4.0L SOHC engines.

Thanks BD!

Do you know if the valve covers have to come off to get the lower intake off?

Holy cow I was looking at it wrong!! That makes it super easy. I thought it was like my Grand Prix or Regal. Upper and lower.

So the leak is from the thermostat housing...Easy Peasy. I am going to scan for codes and make sure the intake isn't leaking.

I owe you one man! Thanks!

Dry intake...I like.

With that vintage, I would replace the intake o-rings if you are taking it off anyway.

If you do the thermostat housing, replace everything, it is a plastic housing and as soon as you start to take it apart the parts will be warped. I have had customer try to cheap out and just do the seals and they are coming back a couple days later for the housings.

Well I wasn't going to pull it but I think it has a leak, so I may.

Is the complete Dorman unit any good? I can get a brand new one with what they call "updates" for 67 bucks. Comes with everything but the temp sensor.

I recommend the aftermarket housing that's all cast aluminum. It's way more expensive than a plastic housing, but you'll only buy it once, whereas you'll likely have to buy the plastic one more than once. Then again, it's not your vehicle...

I'm sure the Dorman one are probably ok, but we have thrown away a few recently installed ones. From ford the seal on the temp sensor is not officially available by itself. There is an A/C o-ring 1W1Z-19E889-BB that will work in a pinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back