Brake Pad and Rotor opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking for front Brake and Rotors for 99 F150 2WD. I know the obvious choice is Motorcraft. Any others that will hold up well for light towing?

Amazon or rock auto and get a pad and rotor kit, the motorcraft pads are imports, the rotors are too.You will never know the difference.

I believe the OEM pads are going to be metallic or bi-metallic. They will work, but there are better options out there for performance and longevity. People will say that the metallic pads work just fine, but I have not ever found that to be the case. I have found them to wear out MUCH faster than ceramics.

I would recommend a ceramic pad. Will perform better and last longer than junky metallic / bi-metallic pads.

As for brand, I prefer Raybestos. There are other options out there, but I have always had outstanding results from their product line.

Here is a link to their products page: http://www.raybestosbrakes.com/magnoliaPublic/home/products.html

I am about to put new pads and rotors on the Escape. I will be using Raybestos pads and rotors. They have some new "advanced technology" pads and rotors I will be installing soon.

Info on advanced technology line:

Pads: http://www.raybestosbrakes.com/magnoliaP...brake-pads.html

Rotors: http://www.raybestosbrakes.com/magnoliaPublic/home/products/rotors/advanced-technology-rotors.html

If there is one thing you DONT want to cheap out on, it is the braking system, especially if you are towing. Good news is that they really aren't that pricey depending on your application. I want to say that front pads and two new rotors from rock auto will set me back right at $160 delivered to my front door.

Good luck!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Genuine Ford pads (OE line, not Motorcraff service replacement line) and Centric 120 series premium or 125 series high carbon rotors.

Wagner just released a line of OEx brake pads for light trucks and SUV's that might work well. You might also like the Severe Duty pads, which should be good for towing as the name implies. Then there is also the Thermoquiet line which is an excellent OE replacement pad.

The best rotors would be Centric Premium, VGX Platinum, or Fremax.

Is there anything wrong with the rotors on the vehicle? If not I would scuff the surface with some light sand paper and replace the pads. So many have 'pads and rotors' drilled into their heads, but if there is nothing wrong with them don't replace them, because any replacement will probably be of less quality than what you have and you'll be complaining about bad performance in a few thousand miles. Unless you totally wore the pads through to the backing your rotors should be fine.

The rotors have been turned several years ago and feel like they are warped when braking. I know they don't actually warp. The pads are several years old and the front rotors are likely original.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Wagner just released a line of OEx brake pads for light trucks and SUV's that might work well. You might also like the Severe Duty pads, which should be good for towing as the name implies. Then there is also the Thermoquiet line which is an excellent OE replacement pad.

The best rotors would be Centric Premium, VGX Platinum, or Fremax.

The OEX pads have a very unusual pad shape and will leave a good portion of the rotor unswept.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Is there anything wrong with the rotors on the vehicle? If not I would scuff the surface with some light sand paper and replace the pads. So many have 'pads and rotors' drilled into their heads, but if there is nothing wrong with them don't replace them, because any replacement will probably be of less quality than what you have and you'll be complaining about bad performance in a few thousand miles. Unless you totally wore the pads through to the backing your rotors should be fine.

By the time pad replacement is due, most rotors have excessive runout and disc thickness variation. To this day, I have yet to see a pair of rotors that could be safely reused without compromising results.

Motorcraft pads are made by Wagner, but they fit differently than a ThermoQuiet or QS series pad. Ford blue-box will be from a OE supplier like Akebono, the AMECA/FMSI edge markings will tell all.

However, the OE pads and most semi-metallic pads are EE-rated. I recently put Wagner ThermoQuiet pads and parts house blanks on an Explorer and all seems well.

I was very happy with the Wagner Thermoquiet ceramic on an Accord. Compared to the originals, there was almost no dust.

The OEM pad number is F85Z-2001-AA with a short number of BRF1410.

The Motorcraft part number is BR-49.

For the rotors there are a few different ones depending on the assembly date, number of studs, RABS or 4WAL, and wheel stud size.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Motorcraft pads are made by Wagner, but they fit differently than a ThermoQuiet or QS series pad. Ford blue-box will be from a OE supplier like Akebono, the AMECA/FMSI edge markings will tell all.

Not all are by Wagner. I have seen ATE, Brembo, and Varga stamped on the OE and Motorcraft pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back