RAVENOL VollSynth Turbo VST SAE 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with this oil? It is PAO based with a NOACK of 8.5.
Has the following approvals:
MB 229.5, Porsche A40, VW 502 00 / 505 00
It meets Opel GM-LL-B-025, Renault RN0700 / RN0710, BMW Longlife 01, Fiat 9.55535-Z2, Chrysler MS-12991 (replaces references to MS-10896), MS-10850, MS-10725 (Fiat 9.55535-GH2 and Fiat 9.55535-Z2)

I can't find much of anything about it here when I search.

I have been interested in Ravenöl as well. They're a respected brand that I used a few times when I lived in Germany.

The only importer I know is Blauparts, and I would use anything that they carry that has manufacturer's approvals with confidence.

Last edited:
I was hoping someone here has used it and maybe done some UOA's. It does look good on paper but will that translate to real world improvements over Mobil 1, Castrol, etc.? That's the million dollar question.

It would be neat to see some VOAs of their TEC 10W-40 and Turbo Extra 20W-50. The TE 20W-50 carries a lot of certs.
smile.gif

Their STOU 10W-40 also looks nice. Suitable for gasoline and diesel engines, turbo and non. Suitable for differentials and hydraulic units for farm equipment too.

Actually I use Ravenol RSS 10W-60 and the only thing I can say is that this is one of the best oils I've used. This is a true group 4 and 5 synthetic - in Germany it's against the law to call group 3 hydrocracked oils synthetic.

Last edited:
I think I will order some from Blauparts. I was going to get the 5w-40 VST but I see they also have a 0w-40 which carries the same approvals so I'm not sure which I should go with. The 0w-40 is a little more expensive.
this would be for the VW EA888 Gen 3 engine.
Thoughts?

It is well regarded here in Germany.
I have used their Motorcycle oils and their MTF II in the transmission of my Honda, its the best gear oil i ever had in this car, shift like silk.

I think you will not be dissapointed.

Hello. New to the board and I saw this post. I just recently changed my oil to the VST 5W40 turbo and so far no complaints. I was a long time Castrol user and had no issues with them but was looking for something that could potentially be better for my spirited driving style. I live in central coast California and the roads are wide open with little traffic so I regularly drive 90-100mph for extended periods. My OCI has been 10K and I would find that I would be down a quart or so after 5-6K. I went to this recently to see if I would see any loss by using a PAO/Ester Full synthetic and hopefully get better protection long term as well. I am planning on doing a used oil analysis on this after 10K that I will share. I also have a liter left from the jug that I will use for a VOA. I purchased this product through Blauparts and they did a good job of delivering the product in well protected packages and included some nice reading material on Ravenol. I don't believe I will have the UOA ready until near the end of the year at which time I will switch to their 0W40 for winter and snow season.

Im sure the Ravenol VST and SSL would work wonders in your application. I've been using the Ravenol 5W-50 Racing Rally Synto 5W50, Ravenol MTF in my S4, and Ravenol VMO 5W40 in my 2006 PD VW TDI for some time and it works great. Ravenol is the oil, dsg, coolant, and brake fluid provider in all the Audi Sport TT Cup race cars.....which i believe have the VW EA888 Gen 3 engine or a version of it. So i think its safe to say if Audi Sport endorses Ravenol its on par with many of the big name brands or better.
Ravenol US
http://www.ravenolamerica.com/motor-oil/5w-40-motor-oil-ravenol-fullsynth-turbo-vst/
http://www.ravenolamerica.com/motor-oil/0w-40-motor-oil-ravenol-super-synthetic-oil-ssl/

Last edited:
H_Tech, I owned a 1994 S4 back in the day. I wish I hadn't sold it. Loved that engine - very stout.

Low Noack % for a 5w40 and very low pour point. Also a high flaspoint.

A groupIII synthetic without PAO won't reach those numbers as the base oil is more waxy and needs to be thinner and propped up with more VII.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Low Noack % for a 5w40 and very low pour point. Also a high flaspoint.

A groupIII synthetic without PAO won't reach those numbers as the base oil is more waxy and needs to be thinner and propped up with more VII.

Gotcha. You're probably right. I've always found pour point to be the best indicator of base stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back