Our Sony 5 disk changer DVD player

Status
Not open for further replies.
has finally died. Power supply I think. This thing is old. I don't remember when I bought it.

So, I need to get a new DVD player for the living room. We bought a cheepie no name player a couple of years ago for the bedroom. Seems to be holding up ok so far.

What can I get for $50 that holds up and has desirable features, whatever that means?

TIA

I would just check Amazon and Best Buy, and possibly Consumer Reports, for well-reviewed units that meet your criteria.

My California Audio 5-disc CD changer is still going strong after 20 years. DVD's didn't even exist when I bought that. I'll be sad to see that go. High-end changers don't really exist anymore.

You can get a decent quality single disc smart blu ray player for around $50. I have a Philips I bought refurbished that has had no problems over the past year. It was worth the $50 I paid for it.

For DVD/movies if just get a single.

If you still run music CDs with lots of them in progression, then a hanger might be sensible. I'm not so sure it is anymore though with so much music electronic.

Might also want to consider a pawn shop. The ones we have around here sell similar 5 disc DVD changers for $20 that are still in really good shape.

We never used all the features of the Sony. Seemed like a good thing when I bought it. Turns out we seldom watch more then 1 movie a week. A simple single player with HDMI port should be more then enough.

OK, I just ordered a Sony 1080p Upscaling DVD Player - Black (DVPSR510H) Has good reviews.

$34.99 with prime shipping from Amazon.

Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Panasonic reads through scratches VERY well.

Agreed. And so does Yamaha, although I'm not sure if they make DVD players.

In years past, the various Sony DVD and CD players were very sensitive to disc scratches, in my experience. Even the tiniest scratches would cause them to choke.

Salvation Army or any pawn shop will have many cheap. CD's are becoming a thing of the past unfortunately...

Originally Posted By: dlayman
My California Audio 5-disc CD changer is still going strong after 20 years.
I have a CAL Icon Mark III? IV? single CD player! Still works too. Built like a tank. Had the neatest features for organizing CD tracks to record on metal tape...back when that was popular.

It's amazing how fast it is compared to a DVD player as it doesn't need to figure out what type of disk it's given.

Great sound too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back