Castrol Edge 10W-30 in Australia

Thank you SR5. Just curious, where did you get the US PDS and the NOACK figure? Can't seem to find it. Thanks!

Yes it was hard to find,

Try this:

EDGE 10W-30 US

PDS Product Code # 468197
Date: 01 Mar 2016
Name: EDGE10W-30 U.S.
Noack = 8.5%
HTHS = 3.2 cP

BTW Edge 10W-30 in the USA is the EP (Gold) version, so it should have a good TBN as it is rated to 15,000 miles. It's rated A1/B1, GF5, MS 6395, GM-6094M and SN.

Nice stuff.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
I don't think anyone can complain about vague PDS with Castrol products now.

Nice.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SR5
Yes it was hard to find,

Try this:

EDGE 10W-30 US

PDS Product Code # 468197
Date: 01 Mar 2016
Name: EDGE10W-30 U.S.
Noack = 8.5%
HTHS = 3.2 cP

BTW Edge 10W-30 in the USA is the EP (Gold) version, so it should have a good TBN as it is rated to 15,000 miles. It's rated A1/B1, GF5, MS 6395, GM-6094M and SN.

Nice stuff.

Thank you SR5.

I had no problem using the SL 5W-30 Edge instead, but I know it bothered others who wanted a synthetic SN 5W-30 , just like all the other players had.

I'm pretty sure this is the Mitsubishi branded oil, because they want CF for the diesels. Or as our tribologist said with a wry smile - ''With putting such an excellent oil together for Mitsubishi, I expect they might want to put their own label on it to sell to the public.''

Originally Posted By: Silk
I had no problem using the SL 5W-30 Edge instead, but I know it bothered others who wanted a synthetic SN 5W-30 , just like all the other players had.

I'm pretty sure this is the Mitsubishi branded oil, because they want CF for the diesels. Or as our tribologist said with a wry smile - ''With putting such an excellent oil together for Mitsubishi, I expect they might want to put their own label on it to sell to the public.''

OK, so the new Mitsubishi branded oil is a 5W-30 full synthetic and made by Castrol.

So probably similar or based on the new full synthetic 5W-30 Magnatec they are now selling in Oz.

I wonder if it has the "intelligent molecules" of Magnatec, I would guess not, as this is what makes the Magnatec special and is the Castrol angle on the brew.

I also noted that both the Magnatec bottle and PDS say the oil is API SN & ACEA A3/B4 but no mention of CF. Even though they say suitable for Petrol and Diesel engines (yes it's B4) (without DPF). You just about always see API SN/CF together.

I'm guessing Magnatec is CF in quality, but they are keeping that bit for the Mitsubishi product.

Sort of two angles on the same fundamental brew SN/CF for Mitsi., SN & metal clinging additive for Castrol.

The new DPF oil they have out for the new Triton etc must be Magnatec Diesel, as it's the only Castrol 5W-40 that's C3, and it's also CF. The 5W-30 must be the gold bottle, as it's A3/B4 and SL/CF, ticks all Mitsi's boxes, and available in NZ.

Currently looking closer at the 5W-30 as I'm going to try it in a bike. Takes 20/30 in 1974, not much chance of finding that, so currently on Delvac MX 15W-40, which it good for bikes, just want to try it on a 30. I'll drop the Delvac and save it because it's ''preconditioned'' and so has gained Shannow approval. I'll need a Shannow label for the bottle - maybe a Wolf in Shaddow.

Product data from Castrol Australia for Edge 10W-30 is below but the Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 10W-30 at the bottom of this post looks better again.

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/2EBDA32304B8CC7B80257EEA001F77E3/$File/BPXE-A452EN.pdf

You will need to copy link and paste into google and then search.

If you can't find it see data copied below.

Typical Characteristics

Name Method Units Castrol EDGE 10W-30
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm²/s 10.47
Viscosity, CCS -25C (10W) ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 5122
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C ASTM D445 mm²/s 66.2
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 146
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -36
Flash Point, PMCC ASTM D93 °C 204
Ash, Sulphated ASTM D874 % wt 1.16
Product Performance Claims
ACEA A5/B5
API SN
ILSAC GF5
CF Performance

Castrol EDGE 10W-30
26 Oct 2015

Castrol Australia Pty Limited - ABN 87 008 459 407 – 132 McCredie Road, Guildford NSW 2161, Australia
Technical Advice Line 1300 557 998 Customer Service 1300 554 890
www.castrol.com.au www.msds.castrol.com.au

Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 10W-30
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/607E89EE1F9B44EA80257C3800256160/$File/BPXE-9E7LMW.pdf
Typical Characteristics
Name Method Units Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 10W-30
Density @ 15C, Relative ASTM D4052 g/ml 0.869
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm²/s 12.4
Viscosity, CCS -25C (10W) ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 6640
Viscosity, Kinematic 40°C cSt ASTM D445 cSt 84
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 142
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -39
Flash Point, PMCC ASTM D93 °C 202.5
Ash, Sulphated ASTM D874 % wt 1.22
Product Performance Claims
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
API SN

Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 10W-30
05 Dec 2013

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil
Product data from Castrol Australia for Edge 10W-30 is below but the Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 10W-30 at the bottom of this post looks better again.

Hi VO,

Yes I agree the Magnatec Stop-Start 10W-30 looks good, but I suspect it's being replaced by a new 5W-30 Stop-Start.

Castrol EDGE 10W-30 is full synthetic and rated API SN, ACEA A5/B5 and ILSAC GF-5

Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 10W-30 is semi-synthetic and rated API SN and ACEA A3/B4

Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 5W-30 is full synthetic and rated API SN and ACEA A3/B4

Castrol Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 is full synthetic and rated API SL, ACEA A3/B4, MB 229.5 and BMW LL-01.

My local SCA had lots of specials on the old 10W-30 Stop-Start, when they brought the new 5W-30 Stop-Start in. It didn't look like they were restocking the older Magnatec 10W-30, but time will tell. Right now I can still get both versions of Stop-Start.

Originally Posted By: Silk
The new DPF oil they have out for the new Triton etc must be Magnatec Diesel, as it's the only Castrol 5W-40 that's C3, and it's also CF.

Yes the Magnatec Diesel 5W-40 is a good drop, from memory it's both ACEA C3 and Dexos2.

The Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 is API SL/CF, plus Euro OEM car specs.

However the Castrol Magnatecs I listed above have no API "C" spec listed on the bottle or the web page.

Magnatec 5W-30 Fuel Saver is API SN & GF-5

Magnatec 5W-30 Stop Start is API SN & ACEA A3/B4 (plus A3/B3 of course).

Magnatec 10W-30 Stop Start is API SN & ACEA A3/B4

Magnatec 10W-40 "Original" is API SN/CF & ACEA A3/B4

Magnatec Diesel DX 5W-40 is API SN/CF & ACEA C3 & Dexos2

Magnatec Diesel 15W-40 is API SN/CF & ACEA A3/B4

So the Mganatec 30 weights are all API SN only and have no diesel "C" spec. But the ACEA B3 & B4 is the Euro diesel spec for cars, so I can't see why the two Stop-Starts aren't also "CF" rated. I suspect marketing position, more than oil quality.

Well the B4 covers it, but hadn't noticed they dropped the C part in the Magnatecs. Who reads that stuff at Repco anyway.

OK, spotted in the wild (or close to it).

The latest Repco Catalogue has New Castrol Edge 10W-30 listed at the "introduction" price of $58- for 5L.

So if it making the catalogue sales, it should be everywhere.

API CF is obsolete, the Cat 1MPC required for the specification is no longer available to run.

In any case the ACEA B4 requirements are far more challenging that the Cat 1MPC so I wouldn't worry too much about it not being present.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
API CF is obsolete

Exactly, new products wont have been tested against CF so it's not surprising its not claimed.

I'm surprised how much attention CF gets.

Originally Posted By: supercity
I'm surprised how much attention CF gets.

Exactly. If you saw some of the stuff that had a CF spec in North America over the years, you'd be shaking your head. You would still shake your head today, seeing it claimed on certain bottles. For a vintage diesel, if I couldn't, for some reason, get a modern CJ-4, I'd choose an A3/B3 A3/B4 of any viscosity long before the vast majority of products that claim CF on them.

For reference and giggles, I was going through stuff in the shed the other day and came across early 1970s manuals for two Case diesel tractors we had on the farm. Both called for a monograde SAE 30 with no specifications listed whatsoever, other than listing the name of the OEM oil. I'll see if I can remember to scan and post the pages one of these days.

OK, spotted in the wild (or close to it).

The latest Repco Catalogue has New Castrol Edge 10W-30 listed at the "introduction" price of $58- for 5L.

So if it making the catalogue sales, it should be everywhere.

I found it on the Repco and Supercheap Auto at $59.99 the back of container clearly states Not Suitable for use in A3 and B4 applications.

Last edited:
Back