Lost my mind, about to buy Genesis Coupe 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have I lost my mind?

Ok, so after a long extensive search including trips to Babies-R-Us to test the car and various car-seats. Yay. At the end of the day, it seems that the Genesis Coupe is my favorite and tolerable to the Mrs and baby. It was a curiosity at the beginning and I drove it just to check it off the list. However, it quickly went to the top. I even LIKE the awful shifter. It makes smoothness a challenge that then makes even short trips kinda fun.

So the Mrs has some veto power if it is not functional with the baby in tow. The GC is not the easiest option with the baby, but it is the best two-door variant. Then again, a MR2 owner will make a lot of sacrifices of convenience making a coupe with a truck seem as practical as a minivan. I was looking for a more of a GT car that pure sportscar because I am keeping the MR2 for that. I am avoiding used options as a lot of those on the list are often "modified" and then dumped after folks screw it up.

Preference in this order:

1. Genesis Coupe. Tolerable and semi-functional back seat. The base model has a very good ride. The R-Spec is out as it is too stiff. Decent OTD deals on some 2015 but I will take depreciation on the chin. Additional perks include the styling and it is the emotional favorite (reminds me of my old 240/280Z but with a place to put the kid... which my father's solution was to strap my brother and me into the passenger seat together)

2. WRX. Makes all the sense on paper. Great to drive but it is stiff and loud. Easily the most usable and practical but it is too common here and just does not get my blood flowing as much. Odd. I loved the 2011 I almost bought but the redesign has taken something away... and not just my choice: the wagon.

3. Fiesta ST: Price, Fun, Four Doors.... but marginal safety and harsher ride.

4. Camaro. Love it. Not a functional back seat. Failed the Mrs. usability test.

5. GTI: Price. The sales manager knocked 3 grand off the price when talking to the Mrs while I was on the test drive and then was willing to get it to 23-24K OTD BEFORE haggling. Might have offered free child -care too. VW is desperate around here as it was an empty lot on a Saturday. So my biggest complaint was the price, they solved that. However, the route we took undid the GTI. I drove on a road I drive regularly and never noticed how bad it was. Not sure if it was the model or something else but the ride was not as good as some folks rant about. It was better than others but the short-wheelbase was catching IMO. Wife did not care for the interior styling.

6. BRZ: Love it. It is the best driver car in the group (followed by the FiST). Failed failed and failed in the back-seat. Once I got the babyseat into the car, the front passenger seat had to be all the way forward... and folded forward.

7. 370Z - Yeah..... despite showing that we could use bungee cords to hold down the baby in the rear deck, the Mrs walked away... clutching the little man tighter than normal.

8. Mustang: See C&C Meme. Also unusable back seat.

9. Honda SI: They should just retire that model designation until they bring out a real option again.

Did I miss anything?

Finally one last rant. Where in the (INSERT VULGAR LANGUAGE) did all the usable back-seat coupes go? It feels that everyone looked at the Honda CRZ and said yup, we will add padding and copy that design.

If you like the Genesis, do it!

Just curious, you mentioned the Fiesta ST...did you look at the Focus ST?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Wonder if Nissan is ever going to reintroduce the 2+2 Z?

They have that. It's called the Q60 (formerly known as the G37 coupe).

Do you not own the two Subarus in your sig anymore? You've got great child hauling ability with those. Anything in your list above I don't get when it comes to kids, but to each his own!

Dude, you need 4 doors. They don't make many coupes that work with car seats.

Too bad they don't make LGTs anymore, that sounds like it would fit your requirements. Nowadays you're stuck with FWD unless you step up to BMW/Infiniti/Caddy CTS/ATS territory.

Buy the Hyundai if you like it, but squirming toddlers in the back of a coupe are no fun.

The Focus RS should be showing up at dealers very soon. That'll get your blood flowing.

I think you've lost your mind. Kid duty on a 2 door? Sure, when you have to. Otherwise... Yes I understand, your money, your decision. But I'm firmly in the "lost your mind" camp, and if I was a betting man, betting on you car shopping again in about a year!

A lot changes after a few sleep-deprived months, and as those nights transition into the terrible twos...

I really like the Genesis Coupe but not when entering the journey you're about start. My vote? The Fiesta ST (if going by your list).

I have 2 small kids, 3 & 5 years old.

I looked at coupes at first and it was no way. Getting them in and out gets old FAST. Like I said no coupe after 2 minutes, and I only haul kids once a week and just the process was enough.

After a few load/unloads and you'll never take the "fun" car out because it's such a PITA to get the baby in and out.

Once they are a little bigger and may or may not stay in their seat before they are strapped in...climbing into the back of a coupe wrestling a 3 year old...I think I have PTSD...

Needless to say, I bought the GTI, but everyone has different reasons for selecting their car. I'm just another data point...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4086114/MK7_GTI

All that said, if you and the Mrs. think you can make it work, and you like the car, go for it. Just be forewarned...

Did you look at the Genesis Sedan?

Last edited:
Yep, you've lost your mind. Coupes are for single people or couples. It's 4 door sedan or minivan for you now. You're just in denial, it's not just a river in Egypt.

I had a 2 door before and even though I don't normally use the back seat, after owning a 2 door I always bought 4 door sedans afterwards. The long heavy door and the general PIA on the rare occasions when I had back seat passengers made me give up on them for life.

How old is the child?

It is safer to use rear facing seat for about the first 2 years, and strapping a kid into one of these will be a major PITA in a coupe. Hope you like gymnastics.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
I think you've lost your mind. Kid duty on a 2 door? Sure, when you have to. Otherwise... Yes I understand, your money, your decision. But I'm firmly in the "lost your mind" camp, and if I was a betting man, betting on you car shopping again in about a year!

A lot changes after a few sleep-deprived months, and as those nights transition into the terrible twos...

We carried our son around in my 318ti Club Sport and my wife's 318ti Active until he was nearly six. We only traded my wife's ti for a 528i because both of our elderly mothers were recently widowed and were no longer driving. Were it not for that we probably wouldn't have bought a four door car for another 5-6 years. One kid worked out perfect for us, as my wife hated minivans even more than I did...

I can sort of see making it work once the kid is in a front facing seat. Rear facing must be very difficult to load in a coupe.
I'd still look hard at the 4 door sporty cars. Is there much difference really between a G37 sedan and a base suspension Genesis? Or a 3 series?
I'm tempted by the FRS as my kids are in booster seats and can do most of their own loading now.

All I can say is if it is as crash safe as a 2013 Hyundai Sonata, and crash safety is a primary concern, then I would consider it highly.

My son was driving his 2013 Sonata and had a head on collision with a 2000 Saturn 4-door. Both were going 55 mph. The driver of the Saturn was doped up on pain pills, was texting, and then came across two lanes, and hit him head on. The driver of the Saturn died, and my son just got two broke bones in his back, and a bloody nose from an airbag.

After all I have been through here recently because I could have lost my son in that accident, crash safety is my #1 priority when and if I ever buy another new/used car. Just too many people talking and texting now it's getting ridiculous.

I agree you need 4 doors. If you're dead set on a cool coupe... Dodge Challenger R/T. tons of space in the back seat. plenty of cool factor, straight line go, with comfort. handling will be down compared to others though.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Yep, you've lost your mind. Coupes are for single people or couples. It's 4 door sedan or minivan for you now. You're just in denial, it's not just a river in Egypt.

I had a 2 door before and even though I don't normally use the back seat, after owning a 2 door I always bought 4 door sedans afterwards. The long heavy door and the general PIA on the rare occasions when I had back seat passengers made me give up on them for life.

To each his own; I have to say that with a couple of exceptions-my E28 535is and Mazdaspeed 3-all of my most beloved cars have been coupes. When I bought the 2er the two runners up were the Mustang GT and a nicely modified Lotus Elise.
Yes, I'm the cross-shopper from H*ll.

Why is it that only MD's feel the need to insert their profession into what seems to be everything about them? Surely, there's more to an MD than that?

Anyways, future doc, you're now about to be a dad, so sadly you have to grow up. You can hang onto your fantasies, and you can hang onto your identity, but getting a coupe when you have an infant is really beyond just plain crazy.

You're new to adulthood and paternity, so I realize it's hard..it's no longer all about you. But, you have to think practicality. That's at least 4 doors, some space..maybe even think about things like safety and the like. The time for "You!" as in "Memememememe!" is over.

If you can't yet swallow the thought of a *Yikes!* mini van, then consider a sensible sedan like a Volvo....or since you're practicing with that future doc thing, maybe a Benz C300 4 Matic.

But forget the stuff on your list, it shows you're thinking only of yourself here...and they're all fairly useless, you'll be trading it in within 4 months anyways.

Also, what about a Focus ST or RS? I noticed you mentioned the FiST, but not the Focus. I'd get that before a Gen coupe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back