Heard of Hemi Tick- is there "Hemi Shudder"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After my last oil change (at a dealer), my '13 RT has a slight shudder (not as bad as a misfire, but sounds/feels like it's running rough) when in gear and idling stopped at a light or sign. It's hardly noticeable, but bugs me. Otherwise the car runs perfect, very low miles and is well cared for. I asked my service guy to check it and of course he couldn't find anything. No codes, no lights, oil level is appropriate. It doesn't happen all the time and seems to have no connection to being warmed up or cold.

Is this just 'one of those things' about these engines?

Thoughts?

I never had that in my 09RT and I used 87 octane all the time.
The car ran great and the only thing they fixed was after it got hot and you tried to restart it had a delay like a dead cell battery. They replaced the cables and put in a better cca battery.

The mpg was stellar as well.

I feel some shudder in my Hemi when the MDS kicks in (eco mode) but not at idle. The only time the engine felt a little funny was when I used Turkey Hill (PA) gas. No idea why, but it seemed to run a little weird. No problems any other time using 87 or 89 octane from Costco or Sunoco.

How many miles do you have?

Last edited:
Its hard to keep engines running 100% on all cylinders. This could be injector pattern, sticky rings, valve not closing, glazed sparkplug insulator.

Did the service guys take you car for a lunchtime romp?

How hard do you drive the car?

I would query then as to if the installed FI cleaner in the tank.
May have loosed the hounds of Hades.

Last edited:
Hmm, I hadn't thought of the gas - I always use 92, and always get from the same station (I think... maybe the boyfriend used another station?). It only has about 7,000 miles on it, but I do give it some hard accelerations and light speed runs if the highway is clear. It's hard to do much more since there isn't a track in my area.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Did the service guys take you car for a lunchtime romp?

I imagine they do whether I ask them to or not, lol. I know I would!

My Overland runs great. Hemi is nice and quiet.

How many miles on your RT?

do you have a oil catch can, I have one and amazed at the amount of oil/waterv vapor it catches, glad the [censored] isnt getting into the intake.

Originally Posted By: VNTS

do you have a oil catch can, I have one and amazed at the amount of oil/waterv vapor it catches, glad the [censored] isnt getting into the intake.

Not sure if not having one would cause the issues listed, but I agree on getting one. I have one on my Jeep Hemi and its amazing what it catches in such a short time. I got mine from Billet Technologies.

I don't have a catch can - but they seem quite popular with Challenger/Charger owners. Does it affect the warranty at all? I have a lifetime deal, so I need to be careful what I do to the car.

IIRC, 89 octane is the "recommended" grade for the 5.7L (with 87 being the minimum acceptable), that's what I run in my wife's '06. I have to run 91 in my 6.4L, as it has higher compression.

Did your dealer check Witech to see if you have the latest ECM software? I updated mine last week, there was a new trans program and new ECM program (as well as the update for the air bag module - Recall). Some of this stuff is covered in TSB's, there was an update to the ECM on my wife's '06 that modified the EGR program, which would cause a rough idle for example.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
IIRC, 89 octane is the "recommended" grade for the 5.7L (with 87 being the minimum acceptable), that's what I run in my wife's '06. I have to run 91 in my 6.4L, as it has higher compression.

Did your dealer check Witech to see if you have the latest ECM software? I updated mine last week, there was a new trans program and new ECM program (as well as the update for the air bag module - Recall). Some of this stuff is covered in TSB's, there was an update to the ECM on my wife's '06 that modified the EGR program, which would cause a rough idle for example.

I'll switch the gas to 89 octane. I tend to think that throwing money at it means it's getting the best - but now I'm learning that too rich gas can leave residue on valves, plugs, etc.

I'll check on the software - that's a good tip.

Thanks for all the help, everybody!

My dodge (granted it isn't a hemi) has a slight shudder that drives me insane. It has had it since I drove it off the lot.

Over the years I have tried everything to fix it. Different oils and weights, gas brands and octane ratings, different plugs, different coils, PCVs, all types of flushes and cleaners, replaced literally EVERY sensor you can name...then I finally broke down and talked to Dodge about it.

I swear this was the "master technician's" answer: "Everything looks fine. You have already replaced everything that could likely cause a problem. Its a Dodge, its just what it does." Thanks a lot
mad.gif

But I don't think this in any way applies to you. Im going to go with the bad gas or programming guess, but if it doesn't resolve itself soon, you should really get it looked at! Good luck!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Water has been known to cause torque converter shudder in many Hemis. I believe there is a TSB for it.

Both my 5.7 RAM and my 6.1 SRT8 are eerily smooth and extremely quiet cars/trucks. You can bet the TC is the most likely culprit, but a slight misfire or bad injector can cause this easily...

Originally Posted By: jk_636
I finally broke down and talked to Dodge about it.

I swear this was the "master technician's" answer: Its a Dodge, its just what it does." Thanks a lot
mad.gif
Good luck!
smile.gif

My Dodge Service guy said the same thing! I figured it was his standard line to 1) women owner/drivers and 2) what he says when he doesn't have a better answer.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Water has been known to cause torque converter shudder in many Hemis. I believe there is a TSB for it.

Both my 5.7 RAM and my 6.1 SRT8 are eerily smooth and extremely quiet cars/trucks. You can bet the TC is the most likely culprit, but a slight misfire or bad injector can cause this easily...

I would be less likely to suspect a bad injector in a car with such low miles.

It must be part of their "technician" training.

Strong work Dodge. Strong work.

Is there an independent mechanic in your area that is familiar with that engine that could take a look at it?

I know a lot of times, good techs get fed up with the dealership and leave to open their own shop. You may be able to find an old head or a dodgeophile who may be able to give you a better answer than "its a dodge. Thats what it does."

Originally Posted By: jk_636
It must be part of their "technician" training.

Strong work Dodge. Strong work.

Is there an independent mechanic in your area that is familiar with that engine that could take a look at it?

I know a lot of times, good techs get fed up with the dealership and leave to open their own shop. You may be able to find an old head or a dodgeophile who may be able to give you a better answer than "its a dodge. Thats what it does."

why would anyone take a vehichle under factory warranty with 7K miles on it, bring it to another Indy shop?

I would insist the dealer look at it and at least check for codes and document on the receipt what the symptoms were and they they couldnt duplicate or found nothing so in the future it is documented. If I was not satisfied I would go to another dealer.

I am lucky since my local store has great techs and they know their stuff. have scene them trouble shoot stuff like bad wiring harnesses etc with intermitent issues.

Because sometimes there are these people that "specialize" in specific vehicles, engines etc.

Doesn't mean they have to turn a wrench on it, just might want to get a second opinion, other than "its a dodge, thats what they do."

Originally Posted By: JennyHemi
Hmm, I hadn't thought of the gas - I always use 92, and always get from the same station
That could be an issue. Using to High of an octane gas leads to carbon build up. Higher octane gas burns slower than Lower octane gasoline.

Does your car's engine ping/detonate on the Lower octane gasoline ?

If not, you're only making the big oil company richer by buying the higher octane gasoline. Total waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back