6th Gen Camaro SS LT1 Dexos2 Oil for Track

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2016+ Camaro SS with the LT1 has been reported to see oil temps of 270F, the user manual states

Quote:
Change the engine oil to 0W-40 or
5W-40 that meets the dexos2™
specification. If this oil is not
available, the following oils can be
used as an alternative: Valvoline®
SYNPOWER MST 5W-40, Mobil® 1
ESP Formula M 5W-40. See
Capacities and Specifications.

Looking at http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2/
shows a list of Dexos2 oils but I am not sure which oil is a "better" choice for the higher oil temps and track duty. In order to retain track warranty the manual needs to be followed.

The car does contain an Oil to Coolant Heat Exchanger.

It's interesting that they are recommending dexos2 oils, which are normally specified for diesels with particulate traps, to go in the LT1 for track duty. Both are good oils, and both are difficult to find. Since they are both listed in the owner's manual, I think you can use both with confidence. The decision would come down to price and availability.

Yes, that may be difficult to find. You'll get a higher HTHS, but I've only every seen one dexos2 oil in the wild. One would probably be relegated to getting a product from the dealer.

A_Harman: I've mentioned it before, but Castrol Canada actually recommends Castrol Edge 5w-30 C3 dexos2 as an option for my G37, since all it actually calls for is a 5w-30 in SM or newer, which a dexos2 5w-30 certainly would be.

For warranty purposes, it might be best to let the dealer handle the change to dexos2. If you are confortable with DIY, perhaps ordering GM dexos2 oil would be safest. If not, I saw that Castrol EDGE 0W-40 is on the list; it is readily available at Wal-Mart for less than $30.

Checking the product guide on the Mobil website (https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide-2016.pdf), it doesn't look like the 5w40 Formula M is still available. But they do have an ESP X1 0w30 that looks very interesting with an HTHS of 3.5.

The Valvoline MST oil specs are on their website:
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf

Since these are all mid-SAPS oils, they shouldn't be used for extended oil change intervals. But they should be good to go for the interval that the OLM calculates.

I see no reason that mobil 1 0w40 wouldn't be A okay for this.

Or the pennzoil srt 0w40.
Castrol edge 0w40 made in Germany.

There's plenty I'd put in it and not lose any sleep at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TeddyVelvet
If not, I saw that Castrol EDGE 0W-40 is on the list; it is readily available at Wal-Mart for less than $30.

I suspect you won't have seen the dexos2 0w-40 at Walmart. You would have likely seen the A3/B4 0w-40 at Walmart. The product naming is much the same, but Castrol indicates A3/B4 or C3 or whatever is relevant with the name.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: TeddyVelvet
If not, I saw that Castrol EDGE 0W-40 is on the list; it is readily available at Wal-Mart for less than $30.

I suspect you won't have seen the dexos2 0w-40 at Walmart. You would have likely seen the A3/B4 0w-40 at Walmart. The product naming is much the same, but Castrol indicates A3/B4 or C3 or whatever is relevant with the name.

Exactly. I don't think any A3/B4 oils also meet dexos2.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Isn't Dexos 2 pretty much a Euro ONLY oil spec??

The Cruze diesel in North America specifically calls for dexos2. I can't think of anything else requiring it.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Exactly. I don't think any A3/B4 oils also meet dexos2.

I suspect A3/B4 and dexos2 are mutually exclusive.

So I went and checked the Vetts Owners manual since it uses the same engine. (LT1)

Quote:

For track events or competitive
driving, use Mobil 1® 15W-50 engine oil.

Caution
Not changing the engine oil to 15W-50 may cause engine damage. Engine oil must be changed to 15W-50 synthetic. See Capacities and Specifications

Same engine different oil requirements interesting,

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
So I went and checked the Vetts Owners manual since it uses the same engine. (LT1)

Quote:

For track events or competitive
driving, use Mobil 1® 15W-50 engine oil.

Caution
Not changing the engine oil to 15W-50 may cause engine damage. Engine oil must be changed to 15W-50 synthetic. See Capacities and Specifications

Same engine different oil requirements interesting,

Napa Synthetic 15w50 is on sale for $2.99/qt
smile.gif

I have a 2015 Silverado with the 5.3 which I run through the ringer on a weekly basis whether its towing or spirited driving since the merging on the highway ramps I take can be pretty scary...I have since switched to Mobil 1 0W40 because I have little to no faith in the GM 0W20 keeping the 5.3 happy at the rpms it runs towing up hills. I also worked for GM up until about 2 years ago when all of these bulletins were coming out reguarding the use of a heavier oil upon harder driving in their performance vehicles.

I would like to register my lack of surprise that an engine needs a thicker oil for hard driving, and also lack of surprise that an oil/coolant heat exchanger fails to perform it's task under same conditions.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I would like to register my lack of surprise that an engine needs a thicker oil for hard driving,

Originally Posted By: Garak

I suspect A3/B4 and dexos2 are mutually exclusive.

I must agree with both of you above.

OP all of A3/B3 & A4/B4 & C3 & Dexos2 require an oil with a HTHS of 3.5 or more.

The C3 & Dexos2 oils are mid or low SAPS, while the A3/B3/B4 oils are full SAPS.

To me SAPS and TBN come into play with Sulphur in fuel and Oil change interval. More Sulphur and lower SAPS = shorter OCI.

But it's the HTHS that is protecting the engine under heat and load.

A synthetic CJ 5W-40 mixed fleet HDEO would be another good option. But I would feel inclined to use something like M1 0W-40.

Nice car BTW. Enjoy

Need some help here please:
Motul has a Dexos2 5W40 oil , however it's harder to find , and at a high cost. This is the spec
https://www.motul.com/system/product_descriptions/technical_data_sheets/31156/original/8100_X-clean_5W-40_%28GB%29.pdf?1303773834

Mobil 1 has a diesel oil which is NOT Dexos2 with this spec:
http://pds.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.aspx

Are they close? I have no idea how to read these specs
Thanks

Is the pennzoil srt 0w40 dexos 2? If thats recommended for the SRT 6.4, I bet it would hold up in the LT1. I know the old 6.1s got pretty toasty when pushed.

At the same time its difficult to locate, and fairly expensive.

Also... that oil temp seems pretty high. I guess thats just poor air flow design considering it has an oil cooler?

Last edited:
A lot of engines that use the oil squirters too cool the pistons have higher oil temps as well...which the new direct injection motors all have now as of 2014 and up...

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Is the pennzoil srt 0w40 dexos 2? If thats recommended for the SRT 6.4, I bet it would hold up in the LT1. I know the old 6.1s got pretty toasty when pushed.

I doubt it's dexos2. It may be a very good lube, and even good for the LT1, but I can't see it being dexos2.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

Also... that oil temp seems pretty high. I guess thats just poor air flow design considering it has an oil cooler?

Just what happens when you try to discharge the heat from one system into another system loaded up with heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back