Got a Speeding Ticket today

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I presided over traffic court in KY I found that most officers didn't care what happened to a speeding ticket as long as the driver had been polite and was not going much more than 20 over(10 over in school or construction zones). Speeding tickets are basically just a revenue stream but at least in KY the money doesn't go to the citing jurisdiction so there's no incentive to screw the defendant like there is in other states(although some judges I knew were Dudley Do-Right wankers who thought your head would explode at 55.0001 mph, but I digress).

It can't hurt to call the local prosecutor and see if they might be willing to plead it down to non-moving or else defer it for some period. We deferred hundreds of speeding tickets just to keep that garbage from clogging up the system. The police, the prosecutors, and I all had better things to do...

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
My dad is a retired attorney and he's told me a thing or two. The first rule when your pulled over is to be polite to the officer and the second rule is don't admit guilt.
I have always been very polite and in a traffic citation freely admitted to the officer I was wrong. In all 4 cases in my 55 years of driving I got off or a reduced fine. Once I was going 53 in a 35 and the officer wrote it up for 49...huge difference. Once an officer wrote up the offense (speeding) to "disobeying a posted sign. Again a huge difference.

If there were a reason that I felt I didn't deserve the ticket I would appeal. But when I am wrong I will take my medicine and learn from it. That's just me. Getting lots of tickets and getting them squashed is not how I operate in life.

I've gotten stopped in the NYC metro & surrounding regions a couple of times for 20 over the posted limit. I was polite, admitted that I was going faster than I should have and that I failed to use my directional on one of the stops. I was let off with warnings on those stops.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
When I presided over traffic court in KY I found that most officers didn't care what happened to a speeding ticket as long as the driver had been polite and was not going much more than 20 over(10 over in school or construction zones). Speeding tickets are basically just a revenue stream but at least in KY the money doesn't go to the citing jurisdiction so there's no incentive to screw the defendant like there is in other states(although some judges I knew were Dudley Do-Right wankers who thought your head would explode at 55.0001 mph, but I digress).

It can't hurt to call the local prosecutor and see if they might be willing to plead it down to non-moving or else defer it for some period. We deferred hundreds of speeding tickets just to keep that garbage from clogging up the system. The police, the prosecutors, and I all had better things to do...

Exactly. I've been pulled over 3 times in my 35 years of driving. Each time I've been very polite to the officer and even asked if he could give me a break. I got a warning once and two "failure to obey" resulting in no points but a fine. Unless you're a jerk, they're not interested in jamming you with points, its the revenue they want. Plus if you can get a break right then, you save everybody the court time. I wouldn't hire a lawyer for a speeding ticket unless I was at the point of getting my license suspended or something.

'Just call a lawyer. I get speeding tickets all the time and I have no points nor have ever been to a [censored] class.

It's all revenue generation, and my lawyer has had no problem keeping my license at 0 points, even with some "serious" violations.'

^ This^ x2....cheaper in the long run.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
How fast were you actually going? I take it you were going 57 MPH in a 45 MPH zone. Is that right? Pay the ticket. Drive the speed limit. It isn't rocket science.

I agree with the above comment.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
How fast were you actually going? I take it you were going 57 MPH in a 45 MPH zone. Is that right? Pay the ticket. Drive the speed limit. It isn't rocket science.

yup

Originally Posted By: cmhj

yup

There are also laws to protect the continuous flow of traffic. That is a real thing, too. If a car in front of, as well as in back of you, was speeding. If OP was not traveling in a pack, though, he was a sitting duck.

Originally Posted By: Turbo_Lemming
Originally Posted By: cmhj

yup

There are also laws to protect the continuous flow of traffic. That is a real thing, too. If a car in front of, as well as in back of you, was speeding. If OP was not traveling in a pack, though, he was a sitting duck.

Sounds like an internet myth. I don't think there are any laws that say you can speed if everyone else is doing it.

Citation needed

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Citation needed

Flashback! You must be "that guy.."

Well, in my limited research, I find a site that says that driving the flow of traffic is important, but not at over the speed limit.

My citation (if im engaging that) would be when every car on the road is doing about 75MPH and the trooper looks for that one usually in the left lane doing 80MPH to nail to the wall. I've also never personally seen, or been involved in, the troopers pulling over two or three cars at once, which they can do.. If every car on the road is speeding, the greatest offending one usually gets the ticket. And I've never seen it be the car in the middle. That's common sense.

http://www.safeny.ny.gov/spee-ndx.htm

*edit: Its also good advice to never be the fastest car on the road, but who listens lol. http://forums.officer.com/t110217/

It really sounds like OP got the ticket because he didn't have traffic around him.

If the sign is within sight,that's the speed limit,not exactly where the sign sits stuck in the ground. Unless there are marked lines on the road to denote a school zone or ped-crossing etc. That's why there are lines plus signage to let you know "THIS LINE IS WHERE THE x ZONE STARTS"

Does this vary by state? I dunno.

Yes Joseph, I'm the guy who wants evidence to back up claims. I'm the worst.

Your anecdote is not a credible source. There is no law in New York about the flow of traffic or driving in packs that allows speeding.

Posts on an Internet forum by a guy who claims to be a retired cop from California are also not credible sources. Here is the relevant vehicle code from California. You'll notice that the onus is on the defendant in a case where they claim to be lawfully speeding because of the flow of traffic. Specifically:

The speed of any vehicle upon a highway in excess of the prima facie speed limits in Section 22352 or established as authorized in this code is prima facie unlawful unless the defendant establishes by competent evidence that the speed in excess of said limits did not constitute a violation of the basic speed law at the time, place and under the conditions then existing.

Good luck proving that in a traffic court.

Quote:
I've driven the highways in nearly every state, and I've never found it difficult or hazardous to keep my speed at the posted speed limit. I set my cruise control to that number and make my way down the road. I will pass a few trucks and other heavily-laden vehicles, especially on the upward side of hills, and faster vehicles will pass me. I generally keep out of the leftmost lane except when I'm passing a slower vehicle, so that faster traffic can get around me. While I've heard frequently that driving the posted speed limit is hazardous and obstructive on some highways, this hasn't been my experience in over 40 years of driving, including the entire span of the national 55 mph speed limit. I've heard all sorts of rationalizations and justifications for violating laws people find to be distasteful or inconvenient, and I think the "flow of traffic" practice is one of them.

As to which vehicle a cop will stop when encountering a pack all moving at the same speed: it will not be evident that a group of cars are all moving at the same speed when the officer is at the side of the road with a radar device or LIDAR gun. The LIDAR gun in particular measures the speed of one vehicle at a time--whichever one the officer has targeted in the laser rangefinder. If the speed readout of that car is above the threshold he has set for violators, that one is probably going to be stopped. Keep in mind that LIDAR operations usually employ at least two police officers, one to remain stationary and operate the LIDAR, and the other to chase and stop the cars the first officer has identified.

If the officer is moving and comes up behind a pack of cars all moving at the same speed above the posted limit, he's probably going to stop the one that he thinks is easiest to catch. Which one of those it's likely to be depends on the configuration of the road at that moment, the dispersal of the cars, the types of vehicles involved, and other factors not apparent to me right now.

In answering questions like this, I get a sense that people are looking for a tactic that optimizes their chances of violating speed limits without getting traffic tickets, and that they assume there is a standard practice in law enforcement for apprehending speed violators. There isn't. Some agencies suggest tactics based on "best practices" that have worked for them, but in the end the job of a police officer is largely autonomous and the officer is free to choose the tactics he finds work best for him.

If you want to avoid traffic tickets, my recommended best practice is to observe the traffic laws and abide by them. As I mentioned above, when I drive in good weather I set my cruise control to the posted speed limit and leave it there. I received my last speeding ticket during the Nixon Administration, so this method is working pretty well for me.

- Tim Dees, Retired cop and criminal justice professor, Reno NV

https://www.quora.com/Speeding-Do-police-officers-believe-in-driving-with-the-flow-of-traffic

I pointed out that a retired cop's opinions are not a source of legal authority.

You then posted another retired cop's opinion piece.

Joseph, if you want some legal info, reading opinions on the Internet is not going to help you. Read the actual statues and abide by them. Speeding in a group may keep you out of trouble, but you can't claim google results as a defense if you end up in court. As someone with a few vehicle and traffic arrests under his belt, you should be aware of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back