3000 miles in; a brief update on my M235i

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've now had the car for almost three months and I'm absolutely convinced that I made the right call. I am SO glad I didn't buy a bigger car. The 2er is a perfect size for two people to take on a road trip. Recently we took the M235i on a three day trip to SC to visit our son. We averaged 32 mpg on the interstate and 28 mpg with some urban driving mixed in; around town it is averaging 26 mpg- considering the available performance(0-60: 4.3 seconds, 1/4 mile: 12.9 seconds) I'm sure not going to complain about fuel economy.

I really like the 8HP45 automatic; in Sport mode it acts like a true manual from @40 mph on up; it will not upshift or downshift unless you tell it to- and shifts are extremely quick. Turbo lag is virtually nil; it feels like there is a stump-pulling V8 under the hood.

I've been asked whether I'd prefer an M2 instead; I haven't driven one, but based on reports from people I trust I probably would; it's a bit more aggressive and track focused. That said, I picked up my 2er for considerably less than the MSRP of an M2- and good luck finding an M2 without an ADM sticker. So there's no buyer's remorse here.

Last weekend my wife and I met another couple for dinner. The husband is an old friend of mine who has a moderate interest in cars- he's owned a 1969 Camaro SS 350, a Spitfire and a TR4. His current car is a Mini Cooper S. I gave him a ride in the 2er, flogging it through the gears in Sport+ and taking him down a somewhat winding rural road. When we got back he said, "You know, this car makes a regular BMW seem kind of dull." "Pretty much." I agreed- which is sad. I still resent the fact that you now have to use the option list to make most new BMWs handle and perform like most every BMW used to in base form. On the other hand, I'm thankful that there a few True Believers still left in Munich who continue to insist on building a few BMWs that are relatively light, nimble, and exhilarating to drive.

Congrats! It's always nice when you reach the day you say to yourself... "yep, I'm stoked I bought this".

Originally Posted By: MCompact
When we got back he said, "You know, this car makes a regular BMW seem kind of dull." "Pretty much." I agreed- which is sad. I still resent the fact that you now have to use the option list to make most new BMWs handle and perform like most every BMW used to in base form. On the other hand, I'm thankful that there a few True Believers still left in Munich who continue to insist on building a few BMWs that are relatively light, nimble, and exhilarating to drive.

I think marketing people are driving the R&D dept. They want to be able to advertise lower price for entry level without performance option(s) to draw more customers into showroom, then they will be shown and test drive the more expensive model with what engineers like to design with.

The problem is people who bought base models will be disappointed after few months of ownership.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Definitely take it out to Test & Tune for 1/4 mile run.

Sounds like a fun car.

I definitely will- I'm already planning to grudge race my friend's 2007 AMG E63 while I'm there.

I've come to the point where I don't buy cars all that often- so I try to make sure I get something I'll want to keep for a very long time. I think this one is a keeper.

Hmmm so M235i starts around 44k vs 51k+ for M2? That would be a tough call between the two.

I would be more tempted by a new Camaro SS. The new camaro is only about 150lbs fatter than the M235. I bet the BMW is far more comfortable to ride around in than a camaro, but the savings would be nice.

Comparing new for new, I'd definitely go with the M2, although at that price point the GT350 is very tempting- assuming you could get one close to MSRP.
I drove a 2015 Camaro SS 1LE and liked everything but the size, weight, and its restricted outward visibility. The new Camaro is a nice car, but again, I prefer smaller and lighter cars.

Its all about 2016 and up camaros but yeah a GT350 would be really awesome too. Lota of great choices if one is willing/able to spend that much. Its a lot of money and the depreciation is real.

Just to give you a laugh, your car retails at $77,500 here
smile.gif

I'd be interested to see what sort of quarter mile times you can get out of it. "Wheels" magazine here in Oz got 0-100km/h in 5.0, and the standing 400 metres in 13.1.

I saw a few 2 Series in Targa Tasmania last week, they are a very impressive little car.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Definitely take it out to Test & Tune for 1/4 mile run.

Sounds like a fun car.

I definitely will- I'm already planning to grudge race my friend's 2007 AMG E63 while I'm there.

I've come to the point where I don't buy cars all that often- so I try to make sure I get something I'll want to keep for a very long time. I think this one is a keeper.

I did an image search, since I'm not familiar with BMW's new model numbering scheme. That is one nice coupe. If I didn't have two cats to occasionally schlep to the vet, or out of town for hurricane evacuations, I'd think about a CPO BMW coupe.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
If I didn't have two cats to occasionally schlep to the vet, or out of town for hurricane evacuations, I'd think about a CPO BMW coupe.

How big are your cats?
Tiger size?

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
If I didn't have two cats to occasionally schlep to the vet, or out of town for hurricane evacuations, I'd think about a CPO BMW coupe.

How big are your cats?
Tiger size?

BC.

One thinks he's a miniature black panther, the other is fairly normal. Together they total 27 pounds, and then there'd be the issue of getting at least one of their carriers into the back seat of a smallish coupe. I'd hate to bang up the door edge paint of my car.

Beautiful story. Some of us like a car with a bit of fun in it, and how you get your fun is variable. Most of the "stick shift or die" crowd may never know how cool those ZF 8 speeds are when correctly programmed.

Bravo to the OP for having the stamina to locate this vehicle in proper trim. I wish him a decade of excitement or more!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Beautiful story. Some of us like a car with a bit of fun in it, and how you get your fun is variable. Most of the "stick shift or die" crowd may never know how cool those ZF 8 speeds are when correctly programmed.

Bravo to the OP for having the stamina to locate this vehicle in proper trim. I wish him a decade of excitement or more!

That's kind of the problem though, a correctly programmed automatic seems to only come in expensive packages and how many have a good (paddles behind the steering wheel) system for manually selecting gears? How many cars under $40k even? Whereas most manuals work well enough in most cars for track use.
I wouldn't mind an 8spd auto in a car like my Focus that is as easy to control as what I have, but that will never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back