JASO vs. Auto Oil for non-wet clutch Powersports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the JASO rating and "motorcycle" oil for powersports with wet clutch units. My question is this: What if you have a powersport (such as a polaris ATV/UTV) that doesn't have a wet clutch? Why would I use an oil that limits friction modifiers for a clutch my unit doesn't have? I'm an Amsoil fan and am using the signature series 5w50 right now but recently they added a JASO ATV/UTV 5w50 and it sounds like a lot of folks are switching to that from what they use now (understandably). To my understanding both have to meet the emission/catalytic requirements so that should be a net neutral. But my gut feeling is that the signature series may have a better anti friction package because it doesn't have to meet wet clutch requirements. I know just enough to be dangerous so sorry if this is a dumb question but I haven't seen much on this topic.

EP ADD (ZDP) had been higher by 30-50% on motorsports oils with obsolete API-SF service classification. I haven't seen a VOA lately. Oils without ILSAC GF4/5 classification can have higher % ash.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coachvonyo
I get the JASO rating and "motorcycle" oil for powersports with wet clutch units. My question is this: What if you have a powersport (such as a polaris ATV/UTV) that doesn't have a wet clutch? Why would I use an oil that limits friction modifiers for a clutch my unit doesn't have? I'm an Amsoil fan and am using the signature series 5w50 right now but recently they added a JASO ATV/UTV 5w50 and it sounds like a lot of folks are switching to that from what they use now (understandably). To my understanding both have to meet the emission/catalytic requirements so that should be a net neutral. But my gut feeling is that the signature series may have a better anti friction package because it doesn't have to meet wet clutch requirements. I know just enough to be dangerous so sorry if this is a dumb question but I haven't seen much on this topic.

That is an application that a JASO MB oil would be perfect for. You still get the other powersport specific properties JASO specifies but without the limit on friction modification.

Great feedback on the MB that makes sense. It's too bad there aren't more MB 5w50 choices. I'm becoming more and more convinced that JASO (non-MB) is more about wet clutch applications and what they can't add to the oil than it is about some magical formula for small high heat/revving engines. Some of the turbocharged autos these days are super high revving and high heat as well and I've never heard of one of them going to a JASO oil from auto oil for some mysterious advantage. I'm of the mindset that the Amsoil Signature Series 5w50, which is their top tier oil, is a better lubricant than the ATV/UTV JASO 5w50. I'm always open to hearing how I'm wrong though, seems that's usually the case!

I have used a bunch of different "Auto" oils in my four stroke Polaris's from Mobil 0W40 to Valvoline WB 10W40. Currently it has Pennzoil Ultra 0W40 in it. I think like everything in oil and on here. It is all over thought. I am currently running Peak SN 10W40 in the Honda Rebel. My daughter said it shifts nicer than with the Super Tech 15W40. I may try 10W30 Peak in it next. I have never noticed clutch's slipping with different types of oil or even ATF in a two stroke transmission. The most important thing in a wet clutch, keeping them wet. I have never noticed any slippage in the KLR 650 with several brands of car oil and diesel oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coachvonyo
Great feedback on the MB that makes sense. It's too bad there aren't more MB 5w50 choices. I'm becoming more and more convinced that JASO (non-MB) is more about wet clutch applications and what they can't add to the oil than it is about some magical formula for small high heat/revving engines. Some of the turbocharged autos these days are super high revving and high heat as well and I've never heard of one of them going to a JASO oil from auto oil for some mysterious advantage. I'm of the mindset that the Amsoil Signature Series 5w50, which is their top tier oil, is a better lubricant than the ATV/UTV JASO 5w50. I'm always open to hearing how I'm wrong though, seems that's usually the case!

The main focus of the JASO spec is definitely the wet clutch compatibility. The other attributes are pretty similar to the API specs that go along with it. It is just foaming shear and then the SAE requirements. The only real "performance" test in the spec is the SAE #2 clutch test. JALOS records the API spec of each oil they register and a lot of the engine performance is reliant on that.

So big chunk of the engine performance minimum requirements will be the same as automotive with the JASO spec being more tailored to the transmission side of things. This also means that engines without an integrated clutch/transmission aren't going to see as much benefit from a JASO rated oil as one that does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back