1991 yamaha xt600 NY registration questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I might be purchasing the bike above and I have a few questions on registering it. The owner lives in ct and does not have a title for the bike. Now ct allows you to register the bike without a title if its over 20 years old. In NY you need a title unless the bike is older then 1973 or something. Now I have been reading about getting the bike registered in Vermont and then transferring the Vermont registration to Ny. Because Vermont does not title a vehicle over 15 years old when I bring the papers to the Ny dmv they will see that Vermont does not give titles because the bike is so old and then Ny will issue me a title. Has anyone done something like that before. It seems like its pretty common practice and the Vermont registering can all be done over the mail. You don't need to live in vt to do the mail in registering. Just wondering if that was a good way to go about getting it registered in NY or if there was another way. Sort for typos or weird sentence structure as it was typed on my phone. Thanks

I wouldn't bother with the headache and probability of it not working out. I researched putting a license plate on a dirt bike and while doable, it required a lot of fishy run around work.

I would call the NY RMV and ask them. If the other state does not issue a title I don't see why it would be a problem. If the previous owner had it registered at any time a copy of the registration even if expired years ago will probably be acceptable.
Trying to register it in other states and messing around like that may raise eyebrows, it smells like stolen vehicle washing, don't do that.

I will call the dmv and find out. If I did register it in vt you have to get the vin checked by the state police first to verify its not stolen. I wouldn't buy any bike without making sure its not stolen first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back