2GR-FE Water Pump Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier today, I replaced the serpentine belt on a 2008 Camry that is equipped with the 3.5L V6 (2GR-FE). While the belt was off, I spun all of the pulleys and noticed that the water pump pulley was making a very unusual sound.

I took a brief video of the noise. The pulley spins smoothly but does have a bit more drag than you would expect. The noise is very unusual and I have never heard anything like it before.

Untitled by The Critic, on Flickr

What do you think is the cause of this noise? Bad bearing?

Assuming there is no leaking, you might have some time before it goes out but it sounds to me that the bearings are getting worn. I personally would change it while you can. Every Toyota (Aisin) water pump I have had has gone out around 120k-130k miles which really isn't much to complain about. I know Toyota was having issues with Aisin WP's going out on the 5.7 Tundras between 25 and 50k miles a few years back.

I know people only complain online, but it seems Toyota has had issues with water pumps. I'd be inclined to replace. Although what is the job like? I want to say on the RAV's the "official" procedure was to pull the motor--I'd wait until it actually went if that was the case. If it's "lots" of work to replace then perhaps wait until it actually starts leaking.

I never heard anything like that before, its probably the bearing. Either that or you got a bomb tosser trapped in the trunk yelling Akbar.
lol.gif

Water pump started leaking in our 2005 rav 4 at 45K. Had a lot of ungaraged sub zero starts on it that are not easy on the seals. Shocks leaked early too.

Originally Posted By: supton
I know people only complain online, but it seems Toyota has had issues with water pumps. I'd be inclined to replace. Although what is the job like? I want to say on the RAV's the "official" procedure was to pull the motor--I'd wait until it actually went if that was the case. If it's "lots" of work to replace then perhaps wait until it actually starts leaking.

Meant to say, I know it's not a RAV but am not sure what doing a water pump on a 3.5L Camry is like.

How many miles on the pump? If not a lot, I'd be inclined to keep an eye on it and replace when it starts to leak.

I remember reading on other forums that the 2GR-FE water pump has failed prematurely (weeping) on occasion.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
How many miles on the pump? If not a lot, I'd be inclined to keep an eye on it and replace when it starts to leak.

The current mileage is 71,000.

WP on our 08 RAV4 but the dust at about 80k. And yes Toyota used to require pulling the engine. No need. Just Put a jack under the engine, remove the top engine mount, and jack up the engine a few inches. You can then get to the water pump. It's still a 3-4 hour job.

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
WP on our 08 RAV4 but the dust at about 80k. And yes Toyota used to require pulling the engine. No need. Just Put a jack under the engine, remove the top engine mount, and jack up the engine a few inches. You can then get to the water pump. It's still a 3-4 hour job.

That's good to know - thanks.

I can go with an Aisin WPT803 pump for $85 or a dealer pump for $140. The dealer pump is an Aisin unit but has supposedly been updated. I'll see what the owner wants to do.

Now that everyone has told you to replace it, I think that noise is just the seal running a bit dry and making a funny squeak as it's rubbing.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
I remember reading on other forums that the 2GR-FE water pump has failed prematurely (weeping) on occasion.

+1 They sure do. Super common on a 2GR-FE.

When the water pump makes that sound (and the often do at 120k or so), you MUST replace on a 2GR-FE.

Originally Posted By: Tosh
Now that everyone has told you to replace it, I think that noise is just the seal running a bit dry and making a funny squeak as it's rubbing.

Now why would the seal run dry? That has me curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back