Ticks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last few years i have seen very few ticks. I have already found 2 ticks on me after just walking to the shed and riding the zeroturn to mow the yard. Looks like its going to be a bad tick season. I'm outside greensboro north carolina. It looks like the least toxic spray for the yard perimeter is a permethrin.

I have a lot of woods around me. I hate to carpet bomb the yard with pesticide. I'm thinking using permethrin granules in the yard and wood line. I use termidor around the foundation of the house.

It was a lone star tick.

I treat the dogs with fipronil.
Any other ideas?

When i was kid, i would find 10-15 on me when we had cattle and i had to check the fences, but we have no livestock now ( except for deer in the yard )and i have not seen ticks like that since the 70's.

Last edited:
I just read that permethrin is toxic to fish and cats, i have 2 outdoor cats, and a pond downhill from my house. I may have to find something else to use.

Dogs that have not been well trained not to eat chickens, will eat chickens. Also Guinea hens are really noisy, day and night. And you will still have ticks.

Last edited:
Just stay inside. if you're going to go outside and count ticks you won't win this battle. Unless you buy some chickens as mentioned above.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Just stay inside. if you're going to go outside and count ticks you won't win this battle. Unless you buy some chickens as mentioned above.

Guinea hens... did not know either hens or chickens ate ticks.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Dogs that have not been well trained not to eat chickens, will eat chickens. Also Guinea hens are really noisy, day and night. And you will still have ticks.

+ 1- with chickens or Guinea hens you may not have any ticks around the coop, but you will in the rest of your yard. Dogs/cat should be using Frontline or similar and people need to take the proper precautions such as long pants and check themselves.

Originally Posted By: mk378

Our dogs haven't harassed a chicken since they were 1 and they got some strong negative feedback on chasing the animals they are supposed to guard. I agree with the Guinea fowl though, to noisy for me and we have 4 roosters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back