2012 Civic - MaxLife ATF update

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the MaxLife ATF vs DW-1 debate in the Honda's...

Bought the car new, and the 2012 Civic now has 96K on the ticker. I did our first drain and fill with ML at approximately 30K. Since then, I have two additional D&F's. Still shifts like new so not really much of a report. I will update as time goes on.

Good to hear! I am glad it is working for you. I will stick with Honda DW-1 as it is inexpensive and I know its the proper fluid.

Originally Posted By: sw99

Bought the car new, and the 2012 Civic now has 96K on the ticker. I did our first drain and fill with ML at approximately 30K. Since then, I have two additional D&F's. Still shifts like new so not really much of a report. I will update as time goes on.

You could probably have done nothing and it would shift like new.

Talk to us when there is 200K on the ticker.

Originally Posted By: Donald

You could probably have done nothing and it would shift like new.

Talk to us when there is 200K on the ticker.

thumbsup2.gif

I think regular drain and fills will keep the additive pack fresh. This should in turn make the ATF protect against heat and wear.

Hope you'll get tons of life out of that transmission.

What?!? You didn't use Honda ATF in your Honda? Say it ain't so!

Back when we had our 2008 Honda Odyssey LX, all I used in it was Maxlife ATF. I did the first two consecutive D/Fs at ~30K miles and it took all the weirdness out of that 5spd AT.

I've also used Maxlife ATF in later model Hyundai and Toyota products with nothing but positive results.

But I was told that anything other than DW-1 wont get me to 100k...

LOL! Probably by the same guys that think anything thicker than 0W20 is going to kill your honda too..
smile.gif

I always use the factory ATF. But what you are doing with the changes early on is a good idea in my opinion. Keep the ATF additives fresh and remove the garbage. Honda considers 3 drain fills a flush and recommends you never flush their transmissions. I'll take the word of the factory any day over some of the clowns on here when it comes to lubricant specs.

Last edited:
105k!!! That's a boatload. I'm just about to hit 40k on my 12 civic. It's been great. Almost all city driving.

And you guys believe Honda has your best interest when Honda pushed on us one of the WORST ATF ever made in the industry, and told you it was a never change,life long ATF. Your nuts!

There is NOTHING special about Honda fluid except their CVT fluid, (MAYBE) And we will soon find out something tells me that too will be substandard as all their fluids seem to turn out to be. Cheap and substandard.

And for some reason fanboys on oil forums most of which have almost never picked up a wrench, started some "dogma" on Honda oil is so special, and chatter about it like they think they some kind of oil experts and/or follow "the manual" like sheep. When in turn is is sub standard and any other top tier oil would be a far better choice. We have years of evidence top tier oils work just fine or better then Honda "dogma" oil. Except CVT oil. But again I have seen owners of cars with CVTs on all brands have fixed studdering issues and other issues by changing to top tier CVT oil. But there we just don't have years of evidence, YET. I own 2 Honda cars and have a garage full of Honda.

Last edited:

Yes, that's the sort of balderdash you'll read on the Honda specific forums, especially as espoused by one 'expert' poster with a display name alluding to female royalty.

I've been using ML in an 01 Civic since Z1 was discontinued. Rough estimate at this point ~80k miles with only single d&fs every 25-30k miles. Never a 3x d&f procedure. Still original AT at 245+K miles on unit. As for 01 Civic AT, check that one out on car complaints, it's #1.

Also been running it now for ~25k miles on z1 spec'd 3.0L V6, also since Z1 discontinued, been working just fine.

And it's true Z1 was nothing special, as posted here it sheared quickly. DW1 may be improved, but good to read more positive anecdotes using ML in it's place. And a much better value on a quality ATF.

I run a cocktail of Redline D6 and Redline Racing Light Weight and Regular to kill some of the slip agents in the D6 while keeping the viscosity close to the D6.

My comment on the worst Honda ATF was about Z1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back