Fluid film softening frame undercoating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
How long does one application of Fluid Film last? How often do you reapply.

People I know who use it apply it once a year, some do it in the spring and again in the fall. Others do an inspection and touch up as needed. It is not a long lasting permanent coating, it requires reapplication, or touch ups at the very least. HTH

Demarpaint - have you applied FF using the FF air gun and the gallon yet? I think the answer to this question may lie in the application method. I keep finding areas I missed and doing touch-ups using aerosol cans. The cans are great but I gotta crawl way under to get the spray into certain areas. If you're not reasonably close being an aerosol it's lost in the wind.

But the other side is cost I'm up to 6 cans under there now plus the $2 spray handle its approximately $60. I think you're over $100 with that FF kit before you spray anything. But now that you own the sprayer and using gallons it may be cheaper in the long run. Let us know how much of that gallon you use for a heavy coat and if it required touch-ups with aerosol cans. Before and after pics would be nice if you can do that

I didn't use FF I used Cortec VpCi368, which is similar in consistency. I used an undercoating gun with wands, etc. and really laid on a good coat. This stuff doesn't stay "wet" for lack of a better term.

You're right with regard to application, proper application and not missing spots is the key! I can tell you from doing a few cars with spray bombs, there is no comparison to the job you'll get with a gun and wands.

What I plan on doing once the weather breaks is re-doing the job, for no other reason than I have the material and I want another coat on it. My plan of attack is use the wands first and get everything with that, and then the undercarriage with my airless sprayer. That will lay a perfect coat down for sure. I'm a little crazy about over spray, i guess painting all these years makes me extra careful. The last time I used 3M painters film, this time I have pallet wrap. I plan on shutting the end of the pallet wrap in a door, and walking around the Jeep wrapping it with the film, using some magnets, from magnetic business cards to hold it to the car if needed. The painters film worked well, I think this might be a bit easier, faster, and cheaper. I had no over spray at all on my Jeep last time.

I used about 2 gallons to do a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. Spray bombs are going to be cheaper for sure. But look at it this way, you'll have the gun for a very long time and can do your cars as needed, or when you replace them with something else.

I use a duplicolor cheap truck bed coating spray gun with suction hose. drill a 3/4" hole in the top of the 5 gallon bucket and connect the gun to my compressor and go. It helps to warm and stir the fluid film a bit before spraying - sit the bucket in front of a heat register in your house etc.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I got some overspray on the paint it attracts a little dirt but it wipes right off with no damage to the paint. What's interesting is anywhere that's rusted continues to get darker and darker. And now I feel the softening of the undercoating is actually a good thing because it's getting rid of any air gaps between the undercoating an the metal which appear to be many more than I realized. The the fluid film causes any loose undercoating to fall off exposing metal in early phases of rust that I would not have seen. Overall I'm pleased with how dark it's getting. I'm tempted to use one of my undercoating cans right over the top of it and see what it does in a few areas. If it dies it or blends with it.

Your results are similar to mine when I first tested fluid film. I sprayed a heavy coat of Fluid Film on my Silverado with the professional spray gun from Kellsport.com. The FF did seem to soften the black waxy coating that GM uses and I was pretty nervous at first. It seemed like the coating was going to dissolve completely and I was going to be left with a totally bare frame.

Those worries were unfounded after about 3 months. The FF stopped softening the frame coating and instead, the frame coating looked better than ever. Instead of the frame coating being dry, cracked and starting peel; The coating now looked fresh, hydrated and renewed. It is almost like the FF re-hydrates and kind of renews the black GM frame coating.

My advice now is to thoroughly pressure wash your vehicle, let it dry a few days and then go ahead and spray on a heavy, even coat of FF. Get the fluid film everywhere you possibly can and give it a few hours to thicken after it is applied. At least every 6 months, give your vehicle another coating but you don't have to be as thorough as you were the very first time you applied FF. If your vehicle is a GM truck and has the black frame coating, go ahead and apply the FF all over everything the first time you coat your vehicle. After that, apply as you normally would but do not put it on the black wax coated parts. Only apply the FF to the black coated parts when the black wax starts to look dry and cracked again. So far, it seems like the FF will only need to be re-applied to my black frame every 2-3 years or so.

Sorry for the long post but I hope this helps. I have come to really like FF and I use it a lot. It is usually cheapest and most convenient to subscribe to Kellsport's mailing list and buy your FF in bulk when they have sales.

Fluid film is just thick petroleum distillate. It will work at first, but will eventually absorb half its weight in water and make the rust worse.

Overrated junk. Use a real undercoating.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Fluid film is just thick petroleum distillate. It will work at first, but will eventually absorb half its weight in water and make the rust worse.

Strange, I have not found that to be true on vehicles I have used it on.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

First time I'm hearing of that problem.

basic chemistry

Just......wow. Got any pictures or other evidence to back that one up? I can post pictures of both our cars with their filthy and rust-free undersides after 5+ NY winters/5 thorough FF applications to show that one wrong.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

Just......wow. Got any pictures or other evidence to back that one up? I can post pictures of both our cars with their filthy and rust-free undersides after 5+ NY winters/5 thorough FF applications to show that one wrong.

thumbsup2.gif
The rubber [for lack of a better term] parts they're using today in our vehicles are resistant to the chemicals used in FF and most popular rustproofing compounds. There are rubber bushings etc. that were coated close to 30 years ago under my van that are still good. FF is harmless to those parts.

basic chemistry

What exactly is basic chemistry? What basic chemistry did you use to determine that water is miscible in fluid film to 50%, and won't phase-separate?

happened to find this thread lately, understand it's 3 years old thread. but i wanted to correct the mis-information from KingCake. Yes, the SDS of FluidFilm indeed has a petroleum distillate (current SDS indicating 40-80% VOC). However, this is the propellant in the aerosol can, not the real substance of fluidfilm. NAPA sells a brush can of fluidfilm (non-aerosol), and from the NAS SDS ( NAPA fluid film NASA SDS). The content of that petroleum distillate is <1% VOC. So, fluidfilm is NOT petroleum based.

Last edited:
Need to retract my post earlier...I was wrong, fair and square. The NAPA SDS is misleading. The 2015 SDS from Fluid Film for brush can has 64742-54-7 listed at 50-90%. So at least, Fluid Film contains 50% of this petroleum distillate, if not more. I would still use it, but will not get it on rubber boots, bushings etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back