Rotella T6 5W40, 8,000 mi, 2012 Jeep 3.6L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotella T6 5W40 UOA on a 2012 Jeep Wrangler 3.6L Pentastar w/~60k miles. 8,000 mile run. Daily-driven with 50/50 city/highway driving in southeast US climate.

You forgot to cover your name/info on this report.

As a fellow pentastar owner, why T6? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the 2012s spec'ed for 5w30?

I can't seem to find how to edit it, but it doesn't matter much I suppose, since it's for a business. My name and business address is everywhere on the internet as it is.

They are spec'ed for 5W30 and advised the customer, but the customer wanted to run it anyway. We had them sign a release form to keep us out of liability in case any problems arise. My only concern would be with the thicker oil possibly causing issues with oiling to the heads, which might explain the drop to the 5W20 reccomendation with the 2013 models. We're not well-versed on the Pentastar engines, so it's just a guess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GermanAutohaus

They are spec'ed for 5W30 and advised the customer, but the customer wanted to run it anyway. We had them sign a release form to keep us out of liability in case any problems arise. My only concern would be with the thicker oil possibly causing issues with oiling to the heads, which might explain the drop to the 5W20 reccomendation with the 2013 models. We're not well-versed on the Pentastar engines, so it's just a guess.

I'm not an expert by any means but my understanding is it had to do with CAFE requirements.

As for the copper, these engines just run that high. Others UOAs have shown the same. I've had two on my Durango, copper has been in the 20 range both times. And yes, they do have coolers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back