Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a used 2002 Avalanche with 157,000 . In the morning it took 3 turns of the key before it would start and this condition persisted for 3 days . I figured fuel regulator , Fuel filter or Pump. I dumped 32 ounces of marvels mystery oil in the gas drove for one day and ever since it has started every time . Marvel Story or coincidence ?? I will replace the regulator as it appears corroded but is not leaking, no fuel in the tube and no weird noises from the pump , Is it possible something was sticking on the fuel pump and is now lubricated or cleaned from the marvel ? Or do the pumps wprk and not work before they fail ? Power is good and the idle is smooth .

Last edited:
With 157k , do you know when the plugs and wires were last changed? If not they are suspect. The fuel filter is suspect. The o2 sensor is suspect unless you know its been changed.

I would use berryman b-12 and or techron before mmo.

Originally Posted By: 94 saturn sl1 2000 saturn sc2
no i will change all of it over time . Although the wires look brand new . O2 sensors should through a code and no lights are on.

o2 sensors probably are not the cause of hard starting as the ecm is in open loop until some heat is present. But if its running a bit rich a times, your injectors could be dirty from this. O2 sensors don't have to throw a code to be poor. They get slow( lazy). I have changed upstream sensors on cars over 100k with no codes, and picked up 2-3 mpg.

I'd run some b-12, them some techron and then change the fuel filter and go from there.

Replace all fluids, clean the throttle body thoroughly, and continue w the mmo in the fuel. Should be good to go

Originally Posted By: 94 saturn sl1 2000 saturn sc2
16.4 MPG over 3 tanks .. Im happy with that for this engine . All fluids for sure will be changed as well as plugs .. So far so good

thumbsup2.gif

I get about 13 town and 18 highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back