'96 Chrysler Sebring with 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at a 1996 Chrysler Sebring convertible to drive around this summer. Car has the 2.4 engine in it. I know the Chrysler 2.7 could be a sludge monster. Any issues with this engine/car I should be aware of?

2.4 is the minivan engine,its an enlarged Neon 2.0 engine.They have been known for horrid crankshaft endplay,and of course they use the infamous 41TE transmission that can frag itself quickly or last nearly forever.Otherwise,it may be cheap wheels...

96 model 2.4s had weak head gaskets from the factory (asbestos, I believe). Unless it has EXTREMELY little use, it's probably blown and been replaced with an updated MLS gasket already. Once it has an MLS gasket, the only thing to look out for is the inevitable oil leak from the rear of the head gasket. Harmless, if you keep it topped up. They tended to burn valves at high mileage (150,000ish) if run hard. Thermostat gaskets can begin to leak at this age too.

Check condition of the trans fluid. 96 models would have been filled with ATF +2 or +3, which is pretty spent after 30,000 miles, definitely by 50k. If it's been serviced and looks good, great. If not, move along or read up on trans repair.

JX bodies liked to rust the sills out; give them a look. Check brake lines too, they're at the age where rust rears its ugly head.

Other than that, happy hunting.

I kid you not when i say my mom had one when i was in high school, she had engine replaced 3 times courtesy of our local dodge dealer. I got stranded at basketball practice 3 times because of that car

It uses a timing belt, so know when that timing belt and related hardware was replaced.

The transmission is weak, but maybe it was rebuilt at one time. Sometimes when a transmission is failing, adding Lucas ATF additive will temporarily disguise the problem. I helped my grandmother get an extra 10,000 miles from a 2003 T&C van using that stuff.

My.mother had a late 90s Cirrus (same platform) with the 2.4. It had 125000 mostly trouble free miles on it at that point.

Last edited:
I guess the cloud cars never came with the old 3 spd automatic? The one in my Neon was indestructible, and once the headgasket was done, the Neon was pretty much trouble free.
The major oil leak on my 2.0 was a cam shaft sensor seal. And once it was fixed it didn't leak enough oil to keep it from rusting anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back