Quaker state Multi Vehicle ATF in a manual trans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I just picked this up for the Ranger. The transmission calls for Mercon V.

This stuff is a synthetic and meets the spec. Any issues using a multi vehicle formula for a manual?

My guess....no. I figure theyre less picky then the automatics and this has been used with success.

Thanks

Ryan

Ford engineers wanted to spec a manual transmission oil for sticks but the bean counters prevailed. The fluid you bought will perform worse if contains more friction modifiers than the OEM stuff.

hmm, I wasn't aware of this. I actually thought about running Pennzoil synchromesh but didn't want to stray that far from the spec

There are different friction modifier chemistry for each type of fluid.

ATF's really don't have the AW or proper FM's for Manual Transmissions. ATF's were introduced for better cold temp shiftability.

I would try one of these fluids which are 1 to 2 cSt higher than the ATF:

Castrol Syntrans V FE 75W-80 8.0cSt

BG Synchroshift II 8.2 cSt

Mopar Type MS-9417 MTL 9.0cSt

Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 9.2 cSt

Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.3 cSt

Thanks Molecule.

I can actually get the synchromesh locally from Napa. Its not cheap. Probably $50 to change over to it, but if it smoothed things out even more it would be worth it.

The ATF should be ok for longevity though shouldn't it?

I just changed out the old stuff for this Multi synthetic, and it shifts well. slightly notchy, but the best its been. I'm interested to see what the syncromech would do.....but it's also do for a rear diff service @ $16 a quart. lol

I may leave the ATF in until I'm feeling a bit richer.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Thanks Molecule.

I can actually get the synchromesh locally from Napa. Its not cheap. Probably $50 to change over to it, but if it smoothed things out even more it would be worth it.

The ATF should be ok for longevity though shouldn't it?

I just changed out the old stuff for this Multi synthetic, and it shifts well. slightly notchy, but the best its been. I'm interested to see what the syncromech would do.....but it's also do for a rear diff service @ $16 a quart. lol

I may leave the ATF in until I'm feeling a bit richer.

I would contact the BITOG Amsoil rep. He can help you get differential fluid for less than $16 a quart delivered to your door.

I'm running Mobil Multi-ATF in my truck, so far it was the fluid that provided the best cold weather shifting of everything I tried. In Calary, I'd leave the Quaker State Multi in it, if it's working for you.

Thanks Maritime,

That's actually what I'm leaning towards. It's been shifting as good as it has, and it'll be a good balance in the winter. The QS and the M1 are probably similar enough that it'll be a good indicator. Those FRS's are great BTW! A friend had the Corolla AE86 way back when.

Last edited:
just fyi i ran straight 30wt motor oil in my manual that called for ATF. it works great and it's affordable.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Thanks Maritime,

Those FRS's are great BTW! A friend had the Corolla AE86 way back when.

Big Time, the Boss and I figure the FR-S was the best money we've spent on a vehicle yet. Fun to drive, reliable, good on gas, turns heads.

Multi-vehicle ATF's have been used successfully in manual transmissions for decades. I' not saying it's optimum. But many have lasted 150K-200K miles on the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back