Accident, no citation, insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Got into an accident couple weeks ago, rear ended a guy but it wasn't my fault, cop didn't ticket me. Question is do I have to report this to future insurance companies? Since there won't be any points on my license? A claim had to be filed because my car needs fixed so can they find out that way? Never been in this situation before. Thanks

Wait 6 months and see if the info makes it to CarFax. If its there then list it.

With all the data sources available these days, its unclear how much info they need (or believe) from the consumer.

40 years ago you needed to list all loans on a credit application. Now they just pull the information.

Originally Posted By: Colt
Just because you didn't get a ticket doesn't mean the accident isn't your fault.

Exactly. I had a guy hit me from behind in the quarter panel and that was enough for the officer to cite the other guy for 100% "fault." But, in my mind, I actually was more at fault.

My wife got into an accident where a drunk driver slammed her from behind and totaled the car. The other party was never cited. I can only assume the police knew them and protected him.

I got T-Boned once by someone that ran a stop sign. No ticket was issued and the other driver was never brought up by insurance. I think it is incumbent on the insurance company to look up my record to write ma a policy ...they seem to have no difficulty getting my credit report or E-Billing me.

if you dont report it and you have another accident they will cancel you and not pay...or other shadyness

According to some policies you are required to report all accidents to your insurance company regardless if they are going to pay or not. In the case that there is going to be a claim I would always report to my insurance company because they are the advocate for you in the case the party doesn't pay. They will find out anyways and better to be upfront with them in this case.

You say not your fault but will the other person tell their insurance it is your fault? Cop didn't ticket but was there a report filed?

If you want the insurance to fix your car, you have to call them and report it, and make a statement of the accident. Your rates may or may not go up, that depends on your history of claims as well as the circumstances surrounding this claim.

Unless you want to pay out of pocket, there's no way of avoiding making a claim. Even if you do decide to pay out of pocket, the other guy's insurance will call your insurance company and your insurance company will call you. Your insurance company will appreciate this even less.

Originally Posted By: Trav
How do you rear end someone and not be at fault?

Good question, I was wondering the same thing. Thought maybe I misread the post.

Originally Posted By: Throt
Hi all,

Got into an accident couple weeks ago, rear ended a guy but it wasn't my fault, cop didn't ticket me. Question is do I have to report this to future insurance companies? Since there won't be any points on my license? A claim had to be filed because my car needs fixed so can they find out that way? Never been in this situation before. Thanks

To answer your question, no - unless they ask if you have had accidents in which case you should be honest with them. When you sign up for insurance, part of the underwriting process is to check your record. If they find it or not and didn't ask, you are in the clear.

As far as I know, if you rear-end somebody, it's always your fault, regardless of the circumstances.

Originally Posted By: JTK
As far as I know, if you rear-end somebody, it's always your fault, regardless of the circumstances.

I believe if someone suddenly pulls out in front of you without right of way, that is typically an exception, but otherwise rear end wrecks are usually the fault of the car in the rear.

Originally Posted By: Colt
Just because you didn't get a ticket doesn't mean the accident isn't your fault.

Absolutely. Someone could even be not at fault for a wreck, but get cited for something they did that was illegal. IE, someone who is drunk, but the other driver actually caused the wreck. Citations do not equal fault or vice versa.

I too would like to know from the original poster how he managed to rear end another vehicle and it's not his fault.

Yes, you need to report it to future insurance companies (at least for how many years of history they ask for). It says right in the policy that if you lie on your application they can cancel you or deny claims. Why take such a big chance? Either could have very serious consequences. And by filing a claim, yes a record will be somewhere so they would likely find out anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back