Costo lost money without membership fees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to my knowledge. They do prepackaged self service on their Deli meats, not sliced to order, as does Sam's.

I have no idea what Costco's on the east coast provide. Keep in mind the ones I occasionally use in Colorado have much different deli selections than the ones here in Kansas City.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Does Costco have Boars Head meats and cheeses in their deli ?

They have Kirkland brand and other nice brands which are really good and better or equivalent to boarshead.
There will never be sliced to order because the whole point is wholesale, but they will have items freshly sliced in house. But the problem remains that the smallest package to buy is still like 3lbs of roast beef at a time or a blocks worth of cheese that's been sliced for you.

Last edited:
Boars Head meats and cheeses in their deli ?

I love that stuff! The best imo.

Bumping this thread.

I just had a wonderful customer service experience with Costco. About 6 months ago we purchased a mattress thru Costco.com. My wife wasn't happy with the mattress - much too firm for her. Today I called up Costco, told them we were not happy with the mattress and wanted to exchange it for another one I had picked out online. No questions asked the guy said no problem and did it on the phone. I ordered the new one, gave him the order number, he processed the exchange without a question.

I knew this is how Costco treated their exchanges and was one of the main reasons I was willing to buy a mattress on their website - I knew the exchange would be painless. And is sure was.

It's nice doing business with a company that values their customers.

The $4 rotisserie chickens are excellent quality. Better than the grocery stores. All the ready to eat sides look very good.

We just bought bedsheets and bath towels, they are kirkland brand and excellent quality.

I have two pairs of kirkland casual pants, they were 14 dollars a pair and they have been good. The mens underwear is a good buy also.

I can say that I have not had one bad product with costco.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
The $4 rotisserie chickens are excellent quality. Better than the grocery stores. All the ready to eat sides look very good.

We just bought bedsheets and bath towels, they are kirkland brand and excellent quality.

I have two pairs of kirkland casual pants, they were 14 dollars a pair and they have been good. The mens underwear is a good buy also.

I can say that I have not had one bad product with costco.

Agreed.

Rotisserie chicken is 1 of the best ready to eat at Costco. Yes, it is better than local grocery stores, and better than El Pollo Loco(a specialty fast food chicken in CA).

We have also had good experiences with their concierge service for computers. Every time the Costco rep sets up a three way conversation with a vendor rep, and stays on the line until the consumer is satisfied with the resolution. This service has led us to buy our laptops from Costco, when the price is close or better than competitors.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
I'd be curious to know a couple of yous guys zips. $.30-.70 difference seems a little far fetched.

I'm not posting my zip on a public forum. If you don't believe me, that's your problem. I'm stating the facts - I buy a lot of gas. I fill up at least twice a week sometimes 3 times. Every area is different.

Also it's not always that much difference in price, but especially here in Ca sometimes there seems to be no rhyme or reason. Right now Costco is 2.59, the closet Arco is 2.65 and other Arco stations not far away are as high as 2.99. A Chevron station within easy walking distance of Costco is currently 2.85, just dropped from 2.89 earlier this week. I drive past these stations six and sometimes seven days a week.

I've seen Costco stations < half an hour from me be .20 higher or lower. If it's not the same in your area I believe you. I have no dog in this fight. If you don't like Costco (for whatever reason) FINE! It makes those "long lines" people here are claiming shorter for those of us who do!

Dude, you're the one that responded to me. And then go on to prove my point about not saving very much. Of course if you get gas at the most expensive stations Costco will be a lot cheaper. Checking out gas buddy again. By Orlando International Airport(32827): $5.95. Sun Gas has a big sale going on. $4.59!!!! Of course there are 20 stations between $1.88 and $1.93. Didn't see a Costco. But if there were we could confirm they're $4 cheaper than other stations.

And once again you missed my whole point. What is true in Florida is absolutely true in California? LOL!

Just about everything in California is outside the "norm."

I'll give you a for instance in a neighboring city I go to often on my way to/from work. The zip code is 92591. Costco is currently 2.59 The Union 76 station which is literally in the same shopping center (Promenade Mall) is 2.89 (cash price) .10 extra for ATM/Credit cards. So to make it even the Union 76 is 2.99. In my book that is .40 cents difference. A Chevron station literally across the street from the Union 76 station is currently 2.95 I know you seem to have your mind wrapped around the concept if it is true in your little neck of the woods it must be the same everyplace else in the country but it just isn't so.

I've even commented it isn't ALWAYS like this - at times I've seen Costco to be virtually the same, other times there has been a HUGE difference.

I considered posting photos of these stations, but I figure you probably come up with some lame excuse to say that the photos were doctored so I didn't bother.

Edit: I'll give you one more. I use to live close to this city - Carlsbad, Ca. Zip code 92011 Costco at 951 Palomar Airport Road is also 2.59, Chevron at 850 Palomar Airport Road (just down the road a very short distance is 3.29.
Let's see - that is .70 cents a gallon? Yes? Need some more examples?

Last edited:
Publix had gas card promo last week and got two $50 gas cards for $80

I visited St. Petersburg a year ago and had a sub from Publix. Really good stuff. I wish they had them around here.

I'd be curious to know a couple of yous guys zips. $.30-.70 difference seems a little far fetched.

Funny, how someone can basically call you a liar, but then when you prove your point you never hear from them again.

I got gas this morning at Costco - 2.19 a gallon. The same stations I mentioned before, a Union 76 and Chevron station that are literally walking distance from Costco are still priced quite higher. Union 76 is currently 2.76 for cash and 2.94 for credit/atm. That is .75 cents difference. Chevron is 2.79 for a difference of .60 a gallon. So even based on Chevron's price and the fact that I put just over 12 gallons in my Impala this morning I saved 7.20 on one tank of gas. Granted I got there when they opened at 5:30, but even waiting a few minutes is worth it in my opinion. Filling the 25 gallon tank in the F150 would save me about 12.00 based on pumping about 20 gallons at .60 a gallon savings.

Again, I realize Costco and other clubs are not for everyone and not everyone has them in a convenient location. I just wanted to point out that in my area at least, the price difference is not an anomaly.

In my area Arco is usually NOT the cheapest. Looking at Gas Buddy, 3 Arco stations within 2 or 3 miles of Costco are 2.49, 2.73 and 2.89. (Not including the .30 fee they charge to use ATM cards). No airports or anything else close by! LOL. Actually the highest priced Arco is the closest to Costco, about 1 mile (according to Mapquest) down the road. Go figure.

A lot of people I know buy from Costco because of the food quality, not the prices. If you want similar quality usually you end up paying more and have to go to Whole Food, Safeway typically don't sell the same grade.

I'm a cheapskate so I just buy wherever it is the cheapest in small quantity as needed.

Well almost 5 months since my last comparison and hasn't changed much. This morning Costco was 2.39, the other two stations within walking distance were 2.94 (Union 76 for debit/credit) and Chevron, 2.95. That is roughly .56 per gallon difference. Doesn't seem so far fetched to me. And for the record I pulled right up to one of the many pumps and was in and out in less than 5 minutes.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I purchased a Rolex watch for my wife from Costco about 10 years ago. I needed a link and called a local jeweler that carried the Rolex brand asking about adding the link. He asked me where I purchased it and after hearing it was Costco he said something I could not understand and hung up on me.

Did you talk to Costco about the link for Rolex watch ?

81 million paying members is a lot, this tell me Costco have very good customer service.

I cannot believe Rolex would degrade their luxury image and consider a horrid concrete floor store as avenue to sell watches.
Big deal, they buy their movements from the Swiss company which supplies TAG and other "high end" makers. What you pay for is the name on the case. In the car business they called "badge engineering".

Sorry, but you're 100% incorrect on this.

There's a lot to dislike about Rolex and as a watchmaker(as a hobby) I detest their spare parts practices. With that said, Rolex movements are for the most part always have been made in-house and are unique to Rolexes. The workhorse 3135 used in the popular models(specifically the DateJust and Submariner) is a descendent of the 1950s 1535. The Daytona did at one time use parts sourced first from Valjoux and then from Zenith, but it's now completely in-house also.

Tudor branded watches use ETA and other mass-market movements in Oyster cases, but only shady sellers try to pass off Tudors as Rolexes.

There are a lot of things we can debate about Rolex, but their 3 hand, day, and day-date movements are superbly engineered movements with consistently excellent fit and finish. The case and bracelet quality is superb and those parts are nearly indestructible. The movement finish isn't up to the quality of the "Big Three", but then there's also an order of magnitude price difference.

As cliché as they are, it's hard to beat a Rolex in the price bracket where they compete just for a good, solid watch.

I have owned exactly one Rolex-a 1980s vintage Datejust(16013) that was a graduation gift from my parents when I finished my masters degree. It has been on my wrist nearly every day since then, barring of course the times I've had it serviced. It's consistently a few seconds a month fast.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The savings in gasoline costs pay for the membership. The membership is $55 per year, but I save $70 per year in gasoline costs....

This. How could you not get the $55 annual fee back?

I wish I had Costco to get the better gas. But, I have BJ's instead and save approx $40/yr over local gas stations. BJ's membership is $50 per year which means I only need to make $10 back in bulk items that are always a better deal than the Supermarts (3 lb bags of Ghiradelli's dark choc, 3 lb bags of walnuts or almonds, 3 lb bags of blueberries, to name a few). That gives me around $150-$200 per year in savings over everything else in my area. And we spend well under $2,000 per year there. For those that spend $5K-$10K their savings are multiplied but they get additional discounts via premium memberships and BJ's credit cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back