How clean a buffer spring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
HK USP Expert

The recoil/buffer spring is integrated and not recommended to be taken apart. So how clean should clean be??

45E527CF-7AE4-4D87-A5E8-4FD473115480_zpsysrlydya.jpg

Also, any idea why this happened?

331F0669-3BCC-4496-95FE-47629D6D5369_zpsbpy1gacc.jpg

8E75B7CF-0F21-46B2-89EC-23CB31180FC5_zpssbnqzygr.jpg

Great range day with this gun, but I do think I shoot sigs a little better... Fwiw. Love this gun though. Have owned it a while but haven't shot it until recently.

They don't usually get that dirty, you should be able to clean it well enough as is without disassembling it I would think.

Looks like the extractor may have a defective finish?

I was wondering if the finish was bad perhaps.

I was surprised about the black grit on the spring. It only has seen federal new ammo. It makes patches and cloths black enough...

If it were seperable, I'd fully clean the inner shaft and be sble to run a patch through the spring. Here it's not as easy to do.

That recoil spring isn't that bad at all. I would soak it for a couple of days in a jar of Hoppes #9. Then blow the he!! out of it with compressed air. Then give it a good oiling. That should take care of it. As for the finish on the extractor, it's just plain BAD. The Elves in the Black Forest aren't as wonderful as they're cracked up to be.

Originally Posted By: billt460
That recoil spring isn't that bad at all. I would soak it for a couple of days in a jar of Hoppes #9. Then blow the he!! out of it with compressed air. Then give it a good oiling. That should take care of it. As for the finish on the extractor, it's just plain BAD. The Elves in the Black Forest aren't as wonderful as they're cracked up to be.

The recoil spring is after I cleaned it... Didn't think I did a really good job.

Apparently the coloration is common. And not covered by lifetime warranty...

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handguns/1...rent-color.html

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=29&t=38376

If it was mine, i would replace the extractor just for looks. You might contact H&k and ask them about it, send pics. They just might send you one.

I like the looks of that rear sight. Is it factory? If so, nice that they have adjustments.

Last edited:
Yes the sight is factory.

It appears that the extractor finish is a known issue. The metal is especially hard, and it doesn't take whatever kind of coating/finish they use.

If it were all consistent, I'd not mind. The mix of coatings on it now looks a little funny, but I'd suspect a few more times at the range with it, and maybe it will be consistent. If not, replacement or refinish is an option.

The purpling on the extractor is somewhat "normal". It's common on older HKs and tends to settle in with age. I've had a USP 45 Compact since new, it's getting to be 10 years old now and I'm starting to notice a slight bit of change in the hue on the extractor. It doesn't affect function whatsoever.

Unfortunately the finish on this particular extractor almost looks flaky or chalky. I may be inclined to replace it simply due to the appearance.

There was a thread on hkpro somewhat recently with a VP9 that also had a flaky looking extractor however, it was not purple colored. As I understand it the metal hardening/heat treating that HK uses makes it very difficult to apply a finish to this part.

This one is four years old but never shot before the last few weeks. Not sure if "older" has a date range where newer parts no longer do this?

On the captured guide rod, I just spray them down with an aerosol CLP lube (Remoil or Breakfree) and then wipe it down with a clean rag afterwards. Doesn't need anything more than that.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
This one is four years old but never shot before the last few weeks. Not sure if "older" has a date range where newer parts no longer do this?

My USP is eight ish at this point, and the extractor has not discolored. I rarely shoot it - I don't know if that makes any difference.

Regardless, that would really rub me the wrong way. They ought to replace that part for you. I don't buy the excuse that the finish won't stick - it has on mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back