looking for a good garden hose reel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a decent one that isn't going to break the bank. $50ish is where i would like to be.

I need something to store my 50ftx2 garden hoses. Everything I've seen looks like people complaining of them breaking after a year. This will be a standalone unit as i dont have space to wall mount, the walk way is narrrow already.

I saw this $80 thing at sams, it was complete overkill, all metal has big beefy tires on it. Needed a small pickup to bring it home. I dont have too much space, its a small 1000ft home in the city. Anyone recommend anything?

I might just go gamble on one at walmart for $40.

I bought one at Wal-Mart years ago made by Suncast. Being the tall roughneck that I am, I eventually broke the handle on it. I was able to buy a new handle directly from Suncast for cheap. You don't gotta go overboard buying one.

I think anything made of plastic is going to break. The couple that I've had end up springing leaks on the fittings and kinking/flattening the hose in dozens of places. At this point I'd rather just loop the hoses myself and hand them up. Most of these reels don't have a wide enough diameter to not ruin the hose. Probably need something around 2-3 ft in diameter which would mean a 4-5 ft tall hose reel. They cheaper plastic ones all work the "first" time and get worse with every successive use.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I think anything made of plastic is going to break. The couple that I've had end up springing leaks on the fittings and kinking/flattening the hose in dozens of places. At this point I'd rather just loop the hoses myself and hand them up. Most of these reels don't have a wide enough diameter to not ruin the hose. Probably need something around 2-3 ft in diameter which would mean a 4-5 ft tall hose reel. They cheaper plastic ones all work the "first" time and get worse with every successive use.

For the past 3-5 years i've been making a loop in the backyard, about 4ft diameter. It just gets annoying from fully extended to loops, I figured the it would take the same time if i was fighting a plastic reel. But i think its time to give it a shot.

I bought a couple plastic hose reels and 2 garden hoses from Costco around 1997-1998, they are still working as of today after almost 20 years. The garden hoses are still flexible today as they were 18 years ago.

Some places have 90 return policy at the store. I think HomeDepot for one. I am not sure something from Walmart will last. This is the kind of thing that would be cheaply made and sold at Walmart. I would look at Lowes or HomeDepot.

I have a couple hundred feet of 5/8" and have given up with a hose reel.

I've also had the Suncast plastic ones to last a decade or so. I picked up one of the big 'beefy' ones a neighbor had put to the curb several years ago, and it still works great after replacing a leaking coupling.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I bought a couple plastic hose reels and 2 garden hoses from Costco around 1997-1998, they are still working as of today after almost 20 years. The garden hoses are still flexible today as they were 18 years ago.

My hoses stay out on the open porch in the New England winter. So I wonder if the temperature cycling causes them to age and stiffen faster? No hose I've ever had around the house the past 25 years failed to harden up and kink within a few years. If your hoses remain perfectly supple, I would guess a hose reel could work for you.

I got tired of the plastic ones.... although I did have one last several years.
I picked it up at Sears.

I have an Eley now. Well out of your stated price range....But they are as good as everyone says.

Last edited:
We bought a plastic hose mobile around 2006 from Home Depot. Still fine. Our more regularly used hoses get cooked on the ground in the warm weather and put away on hooks in the winter.

I have an Ames mobile reel that's over 10 years old and still works fine. Hasn't broken even though it's 100% plastic.

Be careful of the new ones with aluminum fittings. They corrode quickly. You need to wrap them w/ teflon so they don't touch the brass fittings on your garden hose. When aluminum touches any other metal, it corrodes

Also, plastic reels are lightweight so they need to be anchored down

Seems people have had some luck with plastic ones here.

Costco has a suncast one for $70. I might do that since its backed by lifetime from costco.

Places like Lowes and Home Depot sell decorative hose holders that get cemented into the ground, much like a fence post would. That's what I use in the backyard and I use a wood-screw plastic hose holder in the front yard, attached to the side rail of my front porch deck.

Those windup hose reels are a pain. They either leak, break or kink hoses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back