Meguiars Whole Car Air Re-fresher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loaned my car out to a friend and when I received it back, my car reeked of smoke. Not tobacco, but the other kind that is legal in some states.

I tried airing out the car for a few days, but the smell still lingered. Since I did not have access to an ozone machine and I needed a quick solution (or improvement), I picked up a can of Meguiars' Whole Car Air Re-fresher from Walmart for $7.

Untitled by The Critic, on Flickr

The instructions are fairly simple - remove all interior belongings and remove any obvious sources of the odor. Then, you need to start the vehicle and set the climate-control fan to "MAX" and leave the system in recirculate mode. At this point, you can start the can (the trigger locks) and close the doors/windows for 15 minutes.

Here is a picture of the can inside of the vehicle. As you can see, the chemical is being dispensed.

Untitled by The Critic, on Flickr

Once the 15 minutes has elapsed, you can turn off the vehicle and leave the doors open for 10-15 minutes.

At least for me, the smell is now completely gone. The fragrance that the product leaves behind is fairly strong, but I would not call it unbearable. Of course, the real test is to see if the smell returns after the fragrance wears off, so I will update this review after a week or two.

In summary, the product is probably worth a try for $7.

Last edited:
Thanks! I have a can, havent used it yet. Let us know how it fairs in a week
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: montero1
What kind of friend would smoke in your car if you don't?

Exactly. Not much of a friend.

It reminds me of fogging a house we bought to flip years ago that had a bug issue. Empty house set off a few bombs, problem solved.

I bet you'll get the long lasting results you're hoping for, sometimes it takes two applications though.

Originally Posted By: Donald
How much $$. I can see why they want the fan running in recirculate, but why does the vehicle need to be running?

That's probably to circulate the freshener throughout the a/c duct system. Lots of nooks and crannies for odors to hide in there too. Engine running to save the battery. Probably should also have the a/c compressor running. Evap coils can get nasty too.

Originally Posted By: Bud

Exactly. Not much of a friend.

Bingo, this is one reason I don't let anyone borrow my car. If someone had smoked weed in my car there is a strong chance they would end up without the use of their jaw for a couple months or an extra hole in their forehead about the size of a .40 S&W.

That product looks pretty cool, like a Febreeze hand grenade.

I might try this.

Does the A/C have to be on? Just fan on high? Seems like A/C off might work better, the air still goes through the evaporator right? Without it being freezing cold I wonder if it might help evaporator smells.

Sounds like something a hot girl would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back