New WD Blue 2.5" hard drive beeps???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought the above mentioned hard drive and every once in a while and occasionally when starting the laptop from sleep, I hear a single beep. I've owned this laptop for 7 years and never heard that sound. Ran diagnostics for the drive and it passed.

Anyone ever had a hard drive that beeps???

It's probably the motherboard beeping at you, not the hdd. I'm not sure I've heard of a hdd speaker before.

Google your laptop manufacturer, along with the words "beeping" and "diagnostic"

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
It's probably the motherboard beeping at you, not the hdd. I'm not sure I've heard of a hdd speaker before.

Google your laptop manufacturer, along with the words "beeping" and "diagnostic"

+1

Maybe a bios setting has changed notification.

On externals can mean a stuck head... internals its a bios thing no physical issue is likely

not applicable

that isnt a single electronic beep and internal hdd dont have speakers

Unless what he's calling a beep was actually the noise heard in the video. Did you watch it with the volume on?

Make sure that the hd connector is installed properly?
Otherwise, the number of beep and the type of beep determined what is wrong with the computer.

Is it actually a beep emitted from a speaker or maybe a brief whine as the HDD spins up?

To test, go into the control panel power management settings and disable HDD power savings.

Originally Posted By: asand1
Unless what he's calling a beep was actually the noise heard in the video. Did you watch it with the volume on?

Did you perhaps skip part of the first post?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
when starting the laptop from sleep, I hear a single beep. I've owned this laptop for 7 years and never heard that sound. Ran diagnostics for the drive and it passed.

Single beep isn't that video at all.
Also those wouldn't pass any diags.

OK, it's still doing it. It's not a microphone beep. It's like a weird beep/screech sound, like really old computers used to make??? It only does it maybe 3 times a day. I guess I'll just ignore it. All my data is backed up but I would like to know what it is. It sounds like a digital screech/beep, not from a microphone. It's weird! I haven't found a similar sound anywhere online. It's not loud, it last a split second.

do you have the hdd set to stop? (power saving settings)

does it make the noise every time it starts up?

is there a bios update available?

I get a whine from mine when it first spins up that can easily be mistaken for a beep.

I have 3 of these drives, they all do it.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
OK, it's still doing it. It's not a microphone beep. It's like a weird beep/screech sound, like really old computers used to make??? It only does it maybe 3 times a day. I guess I'll just ignore it. All my data is backed up but I would like to know what it is. It sounds like a digital screech/beep, not from a microphone. It's weird! I haven't found a similar sound anywhere online. It's not loud, it last a split second.

Use a smart tool to keep track for any reallocation sector counts. My bet is the drive is dying because of head crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back