Other than DOLLAR TREE... is all DOT 3 the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
most would use the terminology "meets and exceeds...".

How much are you saving between cheapest and expensive? $5? Just go with a big name, don't pick the cheapest, don't pick the most expensive, will probably be fine

I usually buy this stuff.
Meets DO3 and DOT4

and it is CHEAP

brake_fluid-valvoline-synthetic-dot3-dot4-small.jpg

$6.97 for a QUART not a little pint sized thing

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Meets DO3 and DOT4

and it is CHEAP

It's on sale right now at Advance Auto for $5.99 a quart. I bought two quarts today because I am doing some brake work on my Volvo, and wanted to make sure I had enough. I had a $5 off $10 SpeedPerks reward, so I used that, and got two quarts out the door including tax for $7.47. Pretty good deal!

I bet the dollar store stuff will work just fine. You're probably doing more maintenance with one flush than most car owners ever do or get done.

I personally use the Valvoline stuff mentioned above because it is cheap, available, and works in my Hondas that want DOT 3 and my bike that wants DOT 4.

There is nothing wrong with Dollar Tree brake fluid. It meets DOT 3 standards
smile.gif

Besides, $1 for 6oz isn't too far off from Walmart's price of $2 for 12oz.

There's no 'preferred' DOT3, except for price. People that are picky about the fluid usually use DOT4 or even 5.1 (NOT to be confused with silicone DOT 5)

I use Wagner DOT 5.1, but the Valvoline someone else mentioned is also a great value. Castrol DOT 4 is good stuff, too.

But in terms of DOT 3, Ford sells a heavy duty DOT 3 with a 500-degree dry boiling point, but the same minimum 284 wet as any other DOT 3.

China Petroleum Corporation DOT3 Heavy Duty Brake Fluid, in the plastic bottle, 320NT a litre

(The DOT4 comes in a metal bottle but is 420NT a litre)

Available at a garage approximately 7,500 miles from you.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Meets DO3 and DOT4

and it is CHEAP

I am not a fan of this 1 size fits all brake fluid. I just pay a little more for Prestone DOT4. DOT3 and DOT4 have supposedly have different boiling points so in my simple mind, I don't see how they can compromise the performance of one to meet the requirements of the other.

Perhaps I am being a bit too picky?

Dot 4 is just a lower viscosity for modern ABS systems. No harm using Dot 4 in a Dot 3 system, but it will need to be changed every 3ish years due to water contamination and lower boiling point.

Brake fluid choice isn't hyper critical. For normal driving you could probably use 10W-30 and not tell a difference.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Dot 4 is just a lower viscosity for modern ABS systems. No harm using Dot 4 in a Dot 3 system, but it will need to be changed every 3ish years due to water contamination and lower boiling point.

Brake fluid choice isn't hyper critical. For normal driving you could probably use 10W-30 and not tell a difference.

What? Dot 4 has a higher boiling point than Dot 3, not lower. Dot 3 and 4 are the same base fluid just one is rated for higher temps.

Dot 4 has a higher boiling point but it absorbs water faster, which lowers the boiling point of the fluid.

This is why where a Dot 4 is specified, regular changes/flushes are recommended. Dot 4 also has a lower viscosity for use in modern computer-controlled ABS systems.

Dot 4 has a higher boiling point but it absorbs water faster, which lowers the boiling point of the fluid.

This is why where a Dot 4 is specified, regular changes/flushes are recommended. Dot 4 also has a lower viscosity for use in modern computer-controlled ABS systems.

Where do you see Dot4 absorbs water more? Dot3 and 4 are based from the same Glycol base and absorb at similar rates. Difference is usually between brands but not by much. That and brake systems are closed so there should be little moisture getting in.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz

Where do you see Dot4 absorbs water more? Dot3 and 4 are based from the same Glycol base and absorb at similar rates. Difference is usually between brands but not by much. That and brake systems are closed so there should be little moisture getting in.

I have also heard dot 4 absorbs moisture more readily than dot 3....? Not sure how true it is, if at all.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I bet the dollar store stuff will work just fine. You're probably doing more maintenance with one flush than most car owners ever do or get done.

I personally use the Valvoline stuff mentioned above because it is cheap, available, and works in my Hondas that want DOT 3 and my bike that wants DOT 4.

+1 Brake fluid isn't as different as say ATF or motor oil. I use gumout or Valvoline all the time but don't see any issues with using a cheaper brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back