A bit of tractor maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been over 20 years since I did any real work to my winter work tractor-a 1947 Ford 2N. When I brought this tractor home in 1997 it was in pieces and I rebuilt it into a working tractor. Other than a few odds and ends I haven't done anything to it other than rebuilding the distributor last summer, so it was time for a little maintenance. Since the weather was rainy all weekend it was the perfect time to spend some quality time with it in the shop.

The first item of business was to replace the old carburetor. I had rebuilt it in 1997 and it was in rough shape back then, and after another (almost) 20 years it was simply not worth rebuilding. It also wasn't one of the better original styles, so it would never perform as well as some of the newer designs. This is a working tractor and I don't have a problem with functionality over originality, so it now has a shiny new carburetor.

The original 69 year old water pump was starting to wobble a bit, so it's time to replace it. When I sandblasted the tractor back in 1997 I uncovered the original gray paint. This is one of the last 2Ns made before the changeover to 8Ns. The serial number and casting dates put it in late May of 1947, and at that time the 9Ns and 2Ns were painted gray and the 8Ns were gray and red. Since the last of the 2Ns and the new 8Ns were hitting the dealers at the same time, many of the 2Ns received gray and red paint at the dealer so they didn't look outdated next to the 8Ns. There was original gray paint on the water pump; I'm fairly certain that it's original to the tractor and it's time to replace it. Off with the hood, radiator, etc.

While I have it opened up I replaced the front axle bushing. The tractor had a loader on it in the past, so the bushing was getting sloppy.

I also replaced the fan belt and fixed up a little wiring.

The fan is all bolted up to the new water pump. It's nice to have virtually all the parts for these old tractors so readily available.

Buttoned back up-just a couple quick carburetor adjustments and it purrs like it should and idles better than it has in years. I pulled it out and warmed it up smoothing out the gravel portion of the driveway, and after making sure there were no leaks dropped the blade off behind the shop and it's put away until fall. I'll pick up a set of new front tires between now and then and put them on before the snow flies.

Love those old Fords. Almost as much as the 2 cylinder John Deeres. But the Fords are much more useful with the 3 point etc. I did a lot of farming with both a 51 J.D. A and an 8 N ford back in the early 60's.

Pops, good productive weekend. It amazes me how many old tractors survive and their automobile counterparts are long gone. That old tractor has a lot of character, and is still earning it's keep. Good job.

We used Ns around the farm a lot-they were great plow tractors. But for larger field work we used several Allis Chalmers-a WD, a D17, and eventually an XT190. Although my grandfather refused to use a tractor-he still used a horse team to plow until 1955 or so.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
I hope to be learning about one of these tractors soon.

They were designed to be simple enough so the average farmer could work on them. They are very easy to work on and extremely reliable-both reasons why they make such good acreage tractors to this day.

Thanks for sharing.
My father and I once redid our Ford 801 ( 1959)
They seem to have over heating issues but were solid.
Great job.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Thanks for sharing.
My father and I once redid our Ford 801 ( 1959)
They seem to have over heating issues but were solid.

Actually, all of the Ford tractors at that time had overbuilt cooling systems. I've seen the wrong heads on those cause overheating-the ports don't line up correctly. Overheating issues are extremely rare.

thanks, my father in law(FIL), has kept his N from his farming days, although it is an early 1960's.
As soon as I can make room for it in my shop, i will bring it home for my wife as my FIL wants her to keep it.

Like you pop,_rivit, my FIL used bigger tractors for his larger plowings and plantings, but the old ford worked many chores on the farm.

he continued to use it for many years after his retirement from farming for snow blading and garden plowing. At last as he reaches his 80's he is slowing down and not using it any more at all.

enjoyed your pics.

Last edited:
Interesting that the exhaust and intake manifold are so intertwined. I wish I could get away with a tractor like that, but 4wd and a loader is what I need.
Probably most utility tractors even today under 50hp should be gas, but I guess they think they won't sell.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
thanks, my father in law(FIL), has kept his N from his farming days, although it is an early 1960's.

Ns were only made until 1952 so if yours is from the early 1960s it's probably an "01" or a thousand series.

Drove one of those Ford tractors in 1952 when I spent the summer on my uncle's S&J hereford farm in northeastern Oklahoma about eight miles southeast of Fort Gibson. Beautiful green country with excellent fishing.Wish I was on Baron Fork right now. Very nice bass in those deep holes.

I love to see these old tractors being cared for! Used to use and be around Ns, Farmalls and others in my teens when I worked (my butt off) for a few neighboring farms during hay season.

Useful and powerful smaller tractors. Surprisingly decent on fuel too. You'd think they'd guzzle through gasoline being a flat-head, but staying at low RPM, they're not bad at all.

I would love to have the acreage to justify one, but it's not in the cards for the time being.

Pop - thanks for sharing that! I love the old Fords. Learned to drive on an 8N about 40 years ago...not the most forgiving clutch, but stomp on one brake and cut the wheel and she sure would turn quick! A bit of a challenge to get that engine running when the weather was below zero. Updraft carburetor and all....

Your tractor looks great. I admire it. I'm delighted that it's still "earning its keep".

Cheers

My cousin taught me how to drive on an 8N 53 years ago. The tractor replace Sam and Harry. Harry was put down and Sam was kept for the kids to ride. 2 or 3 of us would get on him and cruise the ranch.

Memories...

Sometime around 1938/39 my paternal grandfather passed, my dad and his brother, uncle Fred inherited the farm, uncle Fred got the old farm and dad got the new farm. Maybe 400 acres total. My uncle worked the land and raised cattle, pigs and sheep. my dad worked in a shop and raised pigs, goats and chickens. They both raised vegetables for market as well.

As a small child I remember Uncle Fred still had horses, and a fordson petrol tractor. Sometime in that time frame a used Ford tractor was bought, a 1939 model I think. My earliest childhood memories were all about the 2nd. world war. When uncle Fred was working our property, I would ride on the back of the ford, standing up, leaning against the fender, hanging on to the seat. By the time I was about 7 years old, I could drive the tractor and did so at every opportunity.

After the war dad sold the farm and we moved to northern Michigan. Dad went into business, we sold all sorts of building materials including sand and gravel. Early on he bought a Ford tractor with front end loader. Over the years we owned several of those, the last gas one was a 53 jubilee model. the last tractor was a Fordson Major diesel. A very good tractor.

We used to bust up the drive on the fords. By the time I was 15, I could open up a Ford, replace the clutch, driveshaft, or the pinion bearing. I My job at that time was to keep the equipment serviced and repaired. That included the 2 or 3 tractors 2 dump trucks and 2 flat bed trucks, and what ever else needed fixed. I had to work on everything and got good at it all.

Those tractors were good tools. Without them we wouldn't have been able to do what we did.

Like I said, memories...

Love those old buggers. Had a 8 and 9N back in the day. They never let me down and made a great yard tractor, good for snow plowing etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back