Upgrading from Ipod Classic to Ipod touch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of getting a 16g touch. All I really need, is for it to hold 2000 songs. I have 1300 or so on my classic, but I have a lot of songs I could delete if needed.

What else do the Touch Ipods do?

Also, is there a good program to buy so my I-tunes library loads all of my songs to my new ipod?

iPod touch if you get the latest is the equivalent of an iPhone without the gps and cellular data/talk piece included. When wifi is extremely close to an smartphone.

To move files use iTunes software for easiest approach.

Nobody in my family has an iPhone (prefer Android), but I think the Touch is similar except for the actual phone function. You can load apps, play games, hook up to WiFi, etc. Mine just sits in my car, so I don't know that much about what it does other than play music. I'm hoping the Touch should be even more durable than the old one with solid state memory instead of a hard drive.

Got it as a present after my venerable iPod video bit the dust, I could still select songs on it but they would not play. If your iTunes account is current, you should just be able to register your new device to that account...worked fine when my daughter got a new nano. I screwed myself because I used a work email to set up my iTunes and then didn't touch it for years while changing jobs 3 times (2009, nuf ced), so I ended up starting from scratch with the new device. May have been possible to recover my old stuff somehow, but I just started fresh...probably only had $20 or so of purchases on the old account, I usually rip CDs.

Last edited:
I'm just using it to play music on really. I'll take all the other functions. Just wondering if it will sound as good as the Classic, or will I LOSE any functions.

My daughter uses hers to watch movies and TV shows in addition to playing games and listening to music. Its a little small for my old eyes though! She calls it her "Ish" since it almost a lot of different devices. You can also any old smartphone to do the same thing, usually people will five them to you. I use my old work phone to play videos around the house and I used it as a tester for my kids to learn on.

I came here to say, I'll repair my iPod Classic until it cannot be repaired anymore. I want all my music in one place. Play Music is nice, but I couldn't upload 100% of my music.

To contribute:

The iPod Touch is an iPhone without the cellular connectivity. So pretty much anything you can do on a smart phone you can do on this, except make network phone calls. There are ways to make phone calls over WiFI with Facetime (Voice and Video), Google Hangouts, etc.

iTunes is still your primary computer/device interface.

I'll just throw it out there, but if you are not permanently tied to Apple, and if all you need is great sound quality and lots of storage, then look into a refurbed SanDisk Sansa Clip+. It can be had for about $35 on eBay. It accepts a microSD card, which are cheap these days. A 32 GB card is about $10. You can expand it up to 200 GB.

Added bonus: you don't have to deal with iTunes.

On the downside, the player is really tiny, with a tiny screen, which may be a problem for some.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
I came here to say, I'll repair my iPod Classic until it cannot be repaired anymore. I want all my music in one place. Play Music is nice, but I couldn't upload 100% of my music.

To contribute:

The iPod Touch is an iPhone without the cellular connectivity. So pretty much anything you can do on a smart phone you can do on this, except make network phone calls. There are ways to make phone calls over WiFI with Facetime (Voice and Video), Google Hangouts, etc.

iTunes is still your primary computer/device interface.

But, I'd be storing all my music ON the Touch, not just playing from the cloud, correct?

Originally Posted By: montero1

But, I'd be storing all my music ON the Touch, not just playing from the cloud, correct?

That is correct, yes!
The music will be on your device.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

That is correct, yes!
The music will be on your device.

OK. I thought my co-worker had something that only played from the cloud.

Now, as for transferring my music to the new device, is there an app, or do I just sync the new device when I get it and let it load?

iTunes will handle it all.

1. Install latest version of iTunes on your PC
2. Plug iPod into computer like always
3. Click sync and it will load everything on the new iPod.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
iTunes will handle it all.

1. Install latest version of iTunes on your PC
2. Plug iPod into computer like always
3. Click sync and it will load everything on the new iPod.

Cool, thanks.

Thinking of getting a 16g touch. All I really need, is for it to hold 2000 songs. I have 1300 or so on my classic, but I have a lot of songs I could delete if needed.

Also, is there a good program to buy so my I-tunes library loads all of my songs to my new ipod?

Do yourself a favor and get a 32gb, 16gb is just about worthless because you start about with about 11-12gb of storage.

Can pretty much almost do what an iphone/ipad can do minus actually making phone calls.

Originally Posted By: A_A_G

Do yourself a favor and get a 32gb, 16gb is just about worthless because you start about with about 11-12gb of storage.

Can pretty much almost do what an iphone/ipad can do minus actually making phone calls.

Agreed.

My Nexus 6 is my first 32GB phone and I'm glad that I have it now that I have it. I would have made due with 16GB had a 16GB version been available. My wife has a 16GB iPhone 6 and she keeps filling it up. Partially with apps, but after the apps she only has 3ish GB of space for pictures. As her iPhone is her primary camera and we have a new baby in the house to go along with all the pictures she would normally take of our twin 4 year olds, I have to empty her phone regularly.

TLDR: Get the 32GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back