Costco Tire Service - now available for all tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the longest time, Costco's policy was to only provide tire services (rotate/balance and flat repair) to tires that were sold by Costco.

I was at a Costco yesterday and saw a banner in their tire department that indicated the new service offerings.

For tires that were not purchased from Costco, they are now charging $22 for a rotate/balance/nitrogen fill, or $26 if the vehicle requires a TPMS reset. I think flat repairs are $11.

Yes, there are other establishments that may offer the same services at a lower (or no) cost. But we all choose our service providers for different reasons, and I think Costco's pricing on these services are very competitive compared to a normal repair shop.

They have increased services but not their facilities, at least here locally.
I love most things about Costco tire shops, but I think they just made it a little harder to find convenient times.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Some of the clubs I have used the tire service at (Sams) had a long wait time. How is Costco?

If you are buying/install new tires then waiting time is reasonable on weekday about 1 hour or a little longer. If all you want is balance/rotation then 2-3 hours. They serve paying customers first, since balance/rotation is free for tires purchased there your priority is at the bottom of the service list.

I hate Costco tire service, they don't have much choices, their price is higher than DT, their tire service worse than anyone.

There is no reason to go anywhere but Discount Tire(America's Tire in So Cal).

I've had nothing but great service at our Costco Tire center.
They beat DT on the michelins for my truck - cost me $450 less by going to costco.
And they've always been reasonable on time for service.

One of the main reasons we got a membership,at Costco was because of good deals on tires.

That said, it can take a long time for an install, and longer for a rotate. It means that to do it you need to involve a shopping trip and a meal there. Makes it a pain.

Fortunately there is a big outdoor mall where ours is, but still... Don't like to kill time just to kill time.

I too noted that banner last weekend. It is a fine price since you know only the rotation will occur... But I'd really rather just DIY...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Donald
Some of the clubs I have used the tire service at (Sams) had a long wait time. How is Costco?

If you are buying/install new tires then waiting time is reasonable on weekday about 1 hour or a little longer. If all you want is balance/rotation then 2-3 hours. They serve paying customers first, since balance/rotation is free for tires purchased there your priority is at the bottom of the service list.

I hate Costco tire service, they don't have much choices, their price is higher than DT, their tire service worse than anyone.

There is no reason to go anywhere but Discount Tire(America's Tire in So Cal).

Interesting post and information. As the nearest Costco is ~50 miles from me and two Discount Tire stores within 10, it's a no brainer.

In fact just went to DT yesterday for my first rotation/balance on the RT43's purchased last fall. Usually just stop by but called first to see if I needed an appt., said they weren't busy and come on down. In and out in about a half hour. And as Trav suggested recently in another thread, they still take the pneumatic wire cup brush to the inside of each wheel and the hubs prior to reinstall. Haven't found reason yet to buy or have tires serviced other than at DT.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
One of the main reasons we got a membership,at Costco was because of good deals on tires.

That said, it can take a long time for an install, and longer for a rotate. It means that to do it you need to involve a shopping trip and a meal there. Makes it a pain.

Fortunately there is a big outdoor mall where ours is, but still... Don't like to kill time just to kill time.

I too noted that banner last weekend. It is a fine price since you know only the rotation will occur... But I'd really rather just DIY...

Got membership for same reason. But not bcs good deals, but because DOT on tires is ALWAYS like 2-3 weeks old, unlike DT where you can get tire several years old.

Quote:
... unlike DT where you can get tire several years old.

Boughts lots of sets of tires from DT b&m stores since 2004 when they came to the area and NEVER had a tire "several years old". I think the max I've had is 3 months and asked the DT salesperson what the max was, iirc he said 6 months. But last two sets were ordered and they came from Ga. warehouses and within a month of manufacture.

And I'd say if one were to accept a tire(s) from DT b&m store that was supposedly several years old, then it's on them for being asleep at the switch. And I'd say that for any b&m tire sales shop.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
... unlike DT where you can get tire several years old.

Boughts lots of sets of tires from DT b&m stores since 2004 when they came to the area and NEVER had a tire "several years old". I think the max I've had is 3 months and asked the DT salesperson what the max was, iirc he said 6 months. But last two sets were ordered and they came from Ga. warehouses and within a month of manufacture.

And I'd say if one were to accept a tire(s) from DT b&m store that was supposedly several years old, then it's on them for being asleep at the switch. And I'd say that for any b&m tire sales shop.

They tried to sell me for Tiguan in 2013 tire that was made in 2011. I returned tire and said: unless tire is 6 months or younger, I am not buying it. They found it and install it.
However, in Costco you do not have to mention that. I bought in Costco 8 sets of tires and none was older then a month.

Interesting post and information. As the nearest Costco is ~50 miles from me and two Discount Tire stores within 10, it's a no brainer.

In fact just went to DT yesterday for my first rotation/balance on the RT43's purchased last fall. Usually just stop by but called first to see if I needed an appt., said they weren't busy and come on down. In and out in about a half hour. And as Trav suggested recently in another thread, they still take the pneumatic wire cup brush to the inside of each wheel and the hubs prior to reinstall. Haven't found reason yet to buy or have tires serviced other than at DT.

It's very much depend on locations, Bud_One and JHZR2 had good experience with their Costco stores, I didn't.

In general, Costco and Sam Club have less choice than DT and DTD they carry only few brands compare with more than 20-30 brands DT and DTD have.

Price: my local DT match the lowest price I can get online.

Quote:
...They tried to sell me for Tiguan in 2013 tire that was made in 2011. I returned tire and said: unless tire is 6 months or younger, I am not buying it. They found it and install it....

I'd say that 'ime' with b&m DT you got an anecdote out of the norm on one tire. You discovered it and they made it right. From that anecdote though I can't make the leap that DT sells tires several years old as standard practice.

That said, if shopping Costco for tires because of that one anecdote makes you feel confident, cool. As said for me, no reason for me to join a warehouse club to get the consistent quality sales and service on tires I've gotten with DT. To each their own.

Quote:
...They tried to sell me for Tiguan in 2013 tire that was made in 2011. I returned tire and said: unless tire is 6 months or younger, I am not buying it. They found it and install it....

I'd say that 'ime' with b&m DT you got an anecdote out of the norm on one tire. You discovered it and they made it right. From that anecdote though I can't make the leap that DT sells tires several years old as standard practice.

That said, if shopping Costco for tires because of that one anecdote makes you feel confident, cool. As said for me, no reason for me to join a warehouse club to get the consistent quality sales and service on tires I've gotten with DT. To each their own.

Well, I ordered in DT Michelin PSS. There tires were 4 months old, one 9 months. I had horrid balancing issues with Kumho on my VW CC (got new Kumho's with car when purchased CPO). It was so bad that I did not want to go with DT back and forth on DOT, so I just install them.
Last November I was purchasing in DT winter tires. Costco did not have that many options when it comes to RFT. So I went to DT, and the guy literally said: I have 4 Michelin Latitude Alpin's sitting for some time in Denver. Decided on Bridgestone DM-V2 since they were new model and DOT had to be recent, plus DT had very low price ($156 per tire), although not RFT.
But I would say in DT it depends, and you might get something 2 years old, or year old, you can argue with them etc.
In Costco of 8 sets, that never happened. Granted, Costco does not have variety like DT, that is for sure.

Quote:
...But I would say in DT it depends,.....

For you, so it would seem. Sounds like some questionable management and practices where you've shopped DT in your area.

Here, never an issue with tire age at DT. But if so would have been a simple solution, tell them fresh or no go with purchase/install. But in 12 years never an issue and no warehouse fee.

Back on topic, puncture repair and rotation have always been free no matter place of purchase.

So you should stick with Costco and I'll stick with DT.

If you want to wait much longer than what a tire store can take to balance and rotate tires CostCo is the place to be. The only way to avoid a long wait is to be the first customer when they open.

No thanks!

Quote:

For you, so it would seem. Sounds like some questionable management and practices where you've shopped DT in your area.

Here, never an issue with tire age at DT. But if so would have been a simple solution, tell them fresh or no go with purchase/install. But in 12 years never an issue and no warehouse fee.

Back on topic, puncture repair and rotation have always been free no matter place of purchase.

These were three different DT's.
Two in San Diego (where i got tires for Tiguan and PSS for CC) and one in C. Springs where I got Blizzaks.
Not having anything against them, but there is that part: how discount works.
Also, one thing that drives me completely nuts is that it is snowing outside, and they get load of tires and they keep tires for hours in snow.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Quote:

These were three different DT's.
Two in San Diego (where i got tires for Tiguan and PSS for CC) and one in C. Springs where I got Blizzaks.
Not having anything against them, but there is that part: how discount works.
Also, one thing that drives me completely nuts is that it is snowing outside, and they get load of tires and they keep tires for hours in snow.
When they are on you vehicle do the tires see snow? how long do they see snoe?\w

Quote:
..Not having anything against them, but there is that part: how discount works. ....

...For you it seems. Not for me, or in my long experience with them. And if you accepted any of tires with issues in your mind, then it was on you imo. And, hard to understand going back to a place you seem to have so many issues with. The old sayin goes fool me once shame on you, fool me twice.....

So stick to Costco, I'll stick with DT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back