Best spark plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to change the Spark Plugs in the Escape in my Signature.

Ford OE Plugs are platinum, but when shopping around there are other options for "double platinum and Iridium.

I have no experience with Double Platinum or Iridium plugs. They are slightly more expensive, but that really doesn't amount to much in this equation for me. Double platinum are a dollar more per plug and iridium are 2 dollars more.

Are they worth the little bit of extra coin, or is there really no difference between platinum and the others?
confused.gif

Yes they are worth it. Buy iridiums. They last longer than any platinum or double platinum will.

Being a Ford you are best to stick with Motorcraft or Autolite traditionally, although Denso and NGK are good ones too.

More electrodes will extend the change interval. Same for iridium.

The performance will basically be the same.

I have been using NGK Plugs for my last few tune ups on other vehicles, but Autolite, Denso, NGK, Champion, pretty much every big name manufacturer is offering the Iridiums.

If the Iridiums last longer than that will definitely be a bonus. The back 3 on the escape are less than user friendly to change.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Interesting. I assumed that the higher the quality of the metal components on the plug, the higher the performance.

If you want to extend plug change time get iridium. I have 140,000 miles on mine and runs great

Originally Posted By: jk_636

Interesting. I assumed that the higher the quality of the metal components on the plug, the higher the performance.

The one thing you do get is the the fine wire electrodes on the higher end spark plugs allow the spark to jump easier, which I guess puts less of a load on the coils. On some marginal designs, this would possibly make a coil live a longer and happier life.

a spark is a spark.does not matter what type of material it's jumping to as far as performance is concerned

Stay with OEM ---- Spark is spark the coil is what fires the mixture, all the plugs/wires do is deliver that package without losing it. No plug/wire can deliver a better spark than the coils can issue, and they either deliver reliably -or don't. One or the other, -either all the sparks are getting there or they aren't -there is no better or worse in quality of the actual arc.

Originally Posted By: walterjay
If you want to extend plug change time get iridium. I have 140,000 miles on mine and runs great

140K on the same set!?!
shocked2.gif

Have you noticed any change in gas mileage or performance? That seems like a long time to me, but hey whatever works!

Thanks for all the responses. Im leaning toward the Iridiums, though there "efficiency" over others seems debatable, I like the idea of not having to change them every 60k miles on a PITA design like this one happens to be.

In transverse V6 engines like your Escape, where getting to the rear bank is impossible, use iridium plugs that last longer; they're good for 100k.

My recommendation is the Denso Iridium TT "Twin Tip" part number 4713.

The Denso TT is the only good iridium plug available for your engine, since the Denso Long Life and NGK Laser Iridium don't appear to be available for your application. The "performance" iridium plugs (Denso Iridium Power and NGK Iridium IX) aren't that great and will only last 40-60k.

Should you decide to stick with platinum, the best platinum plugs for your application are the NGK Laser Platinum (part number 93858) and Denso Double Platinum (part number 5091). However, these are only good for 60k.

How many miles on your Escape? Because it seems early for a 2012 car to need new plugs already, as most modern cars come with iridium that are good for at least 100k. But if you do have high mileage, and you need to pull the intake, consider replacing the valve cover gaskets while you're in there (and Rock Auto has the valve cover gasket set cheap on clearance right now).

Is there any access for the rear plugs? Some of those engines have cutouts in the intake, allowing plug/coil access without having to remove the intake (an example is the 95-99 Maxima).

Most Motorcraft plugs are made by Autolite, but they're not the greatest.

I had a Duratec engine and I changed plugs at around 70-80k even though they were supposed to last 100k. The reason you change them is so that they don't get completely rusted to the block. Gas mileage did improve afterwards and even though they were platinum plugs, the gap did open up a little over time.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Yes they are worth it. Buy iridiums. They last longer than any platinum or double platinum will.

Being a Ford you are best to stick with Motorcraft or Autolite traditionally, although Denso and NGK are good ones too.

It depends on which one you get. For example the NGK Iridium IX is a single iridium plug with a shorter lifespan.

No, it buys you longevity. Max performance is high-conductivity copper. But it wears quickly. Single platinum plugs are also not worth it; if you want longevity go double platinum or Iridium (and NOT "fine wire" or performance Iridium which are now being marketed. Get the long life or compare center electrode width and choose thicker, not thinner).

FWIW, I am currently running Autolite Iridium in our Lexus and they are doing great. With the rebate they had going, I'm a fan at the price-point. Check that out.

As an aside, last weekend I pulled the AC Delco Iridium plugs out of my mom's 2007 Equinox to see how they were doing. My dad installed them 26k/5.5 years ago. They looked perfect and gapped identically to when installed. I am NOT sold that non NGK or Denso Iridiums are junk...

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I had a Duratec engine and I changed plugs at around 70-80k even though they were supposed to last 100k. The reason you change them is so that they don't get completely rusted to the block. Gas mileage did improve afterwards and even though they were platinum plugs, the gap did open up a little over time.

Spark plugs screw into the cylinder head, not the block. And while corrosion can be an issue with iron cylinder heads, no one uses iron cylinder heads anymore. About the last holdouts with iron cylinder heads were Ford with the Vulcan engine and GM with the old 3800 series, but even those have been out of production for 8 years now. Good plugs will be plated to prevent seizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back