MC FL-820S C&P Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 F150 Lariat, 41K Miles
That mileage is not a typo!
My son works at a Ford dealership in Louisiana as a grease monkey/detailer/tire tech, etc. He has been there almost a year now and like any job, you must start at the bottom and climb the ladder. This fall he starts school to become a Ford tech.
Anyway, when used vehicles come in to be traded in he is usually the first one to see them, besides the salesman the potential buyer originally meets. This past Wednesday an 81 year old widowed woman drove in her 2006 Ford Taurus and her best friend drove in her previous husbands 04 Lariat, to trade in for a new 2015 Ford Explorer. The salesman called my son to come get the vehicles to have them ready to be looked over and have the works done to them to be put on the used car lot. My son saw and drove the truck first and knew he had to have it. He had been biding his time on the "RIGHT" vehicle to come in for him to buy! This was it!
Long story shorter, the husband died in 09 and the wife kept the truck garaged, driving it every now and then. My son bought it for $7500 and it's IMMACULATE!
He did an OCI on it today and I kept the old MC FL-820S filter to cut open. It must have been on there for awhile. I will be cutting it open and displaying the code on it so someone here can tell me what year the filter is.
To be continued.............

What a find for him, well done! 5.4 or 4.6? Bet it just needs a little TLC to be a great vehicle. I'm glad the woman has gotten past the grief enough to be able to let the truck go.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
What a find for him, well done! 5.4 or 4.6? Bet it just needs a little TLC to be a great vehicle. I'm glad the woman has gotten past the grief enough to be able to let the truck go.

5.4. The truck is Aspen Green Metallic with a tan interior. It's loaded with ALL of the bells and whistles!
35a7qqo.jpg

Very nice truck..How much did they actually pay this old lady for that vehicle? And what does she think she got for it?
Especially After the trade?

Well anyway good luck with it!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Very nice truck..How much did they actually pay this old lady for that vehicle? And what does she think she got for it?
Especially After the trade?

Well anyway good luck with it!

COD, I asked my son that same Q? He stated that he heard, if they sell any vehicle to an employee, they like to make at least a minimum of $500. Of course, that's on top of any money that they put into the vehicle.

BTW, he wanted to do the OCI himself so that he could use M1EP 5W20 and a FU filter.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
BTW, he wanted to do the OCI himself so that he could use M1EP 5W20 and a FU filter.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Good choice and a good looking truck!

My son had a 04 like this and he had some COP problems. Also I believe these years had a problem with spark plugs. You may need to look for these issues. OVERK1LL has the scoop on this.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

5.4. The truck is Aspen Green Metallic with a tan interior. It's loaded with ALL of the bells and whistles!
35a7qqo.jpg

Nice truck ... good for him as he's probably one to take good care of it too.

When I first read the post, I thought we were going to see a filter that went for a 41k mile FCI! Now I'm disappointed.

Nice score for your son, though. Is this the plug spitter or breaker?

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
When I first read the post, I thought we were going to see a filter that went for a 41k mile FCI! Now I'm disappointed.

This is the plug breaker engine!
mad.gif

mad.gif

Did this one break them or spit them out of the hole? They had a problem with that also.

mad.gif

Gets a mint truck in cherry condition for a steal of deal, heck the spark plugs shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Plus if he is about to start attending Ford technician school it will be good practice for him!
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jk_636

mad.gif

Gets a mint truck in cherry condition for a steal of deal, heck the spark plugs shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Plus if he is about to start attending Ford technician school it will be good practice for him!
wink.gif

JK, you're absolutely correct! I told him to invest $55 in a LISLE plug extractor and break away!
grin.gif

I have changed these plugs in 4 of the 3 valve 5.4 engines. I broke a total of 5 plugs all together. A LISLE plug extractor is your best friend when changing these plugs.
The Ford techs I know back in FL remove them with a 1/2" impact and NEVER break ANY!

The Ford techs I know back in FL remove them with a 1/2" impact and NEVER break ANY!

^^^ this is all that he needs to do. Plenty of YouTube videos using this method with no broken plugs. All he needs to do is install the improved plugs and that will no longer be a problem after this first change.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
2004 should be a 2V still. At least they were in the Mustangs.

If it had the 4.6L it would be the 2V, but the new body style '04 trucks with the 5.4L got the 3V engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back