Anyone Using Spline Sockets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Came upon this:

http://www.protoindustrial.com/literatures/Brand/Proto/P20657_Proto Spline Sockets.pdf

Ok, if you're using splined fasteners for high torque applications, I get it. Not that I've ever run into a spline fastener,,just torx/star and hex, if not 6/12 side fasteners.

But what's interesting in that document is that they claim that the spline sockets are fine for use on 4, 6 or 12-pt fasteners, and may actually do a better contact job.

Not sure I trust that, but can't say I deny it either. I'm not a fan of 12 pt sockets if I can avoid them, so can't say I'd be a fan of these, but it's interesting they are being claimed to be a one size fits all...

Not tried the sockets, but i do have some craftsman splined endwrenches. I think they call them universal wrenches. They work well.
universal_wrench.png

Last edited:
I really don't like the ideal. My concern would be corrosion. The splined bolt head gets rusty, corroded. Making it difficult to impossible to get the socket on... and you can't just go a size bigger socket..

I've run into splined nuts on a u-joint flange recently. I was able to get them off with a 12 pt socket.

I've also got a cheap, craftsmen splined multi-wrench which actually works better than I assumed it would. Great for a random nut or bolt that I don't know the exact size of.

The display I saw at sears for the craftsman spline sockets showed it fitting a myriad of different types of things, I am interested in some but tools are expensive

I just used a 12 point 7/8 socket a little while ago to turn the square end of a small engine crankshaft with a drill for checking spark. I don't know why people say they don't like 12 point sockets; they always work good for me. However, if I'm gonna use a spline drive socket, it's gonna be for turning a spline drive only.

I bought a set for $10 on Black Friday that included a 3/8" ratchet at Lowes a few years ago. Came in real handy when I replaced a broken garage door spring dealing with square head bolts.

A couple years ago, Lowes had a Kobalt "frictionless" ratchet as well as 10 metric/ standard sockets for $10. They seem to work great, but I havent used them on anything too tight or rusty either.

The splined combo wrenches were on perpetual clearance at Lowes here. Almost got a set but they looked like useless gimmick, even though they were worth it for the open end sides alone.

Got a pass-through spline ratchet set; convenient for rear strut jobs where the package shelf is right on top of the top mount. And it worked great, despite misgivings.

The one job where my friend had a set of spline combination wrenches was a small block head gasket replacement job.
I felt the splines were not a positive fit at all. They did chew up bolt heads and nuts.

The little spline teeth seemed vulnerable as well.

What are those driveshaft "splint head bolts" referred to above? Aren't they just TORX?

HD driveshafts use 12 sided heads on the bolts but they are neither spline nor Torx, they are just double hex bolts. If you examine them closely you can see that they are not spline.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Looks like it would chew up a normal fastener. No thanks.

They don't. I use them everyday at work, I work in the aviation industry. Some of the wrenches in my tool box are spline and I can use them on any nut I run into. I can't bring my entire tool box up onto the aircraft with me so whatever is in my bag will have to work or I'm going to be making allot of trips up and down.

A couple of times I used the spline on a stuck hex nut.
It actually rounded off the hex nut.
I don't have much confidence using spline anymore.

Originally Posted By: kb27
A couple of times I used the spline on a stuck hex nut.
It actually rounded off the hex nut.
I don't have much confidence using spline anymore.

Thing is, what's to say that 12 point hex wouldn't round off?

My preference is 6 point hex whenever I can, for notionally better fit and interface. However, I'm sure a hard seized fastener could be rounded by that too...

I think for stuck nuts/bolts, a surface drive such as this metrinch is superior to spline.
introverschil.jpg

Spline only has 2 relatively sharp teeth in contact per surface (and it slips) as compared to a whole convex drive.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Thing is, what's to say that 12 point hex wouldn't round off?

12 points work best with 12 point fasteners - but - if you have a quality 12 point socket with off-corner engagement, you shouldn't have to worry about rounding off 6 points.

I have an SK 3/8" drive set with spline sockets. I find them most versatile as they can do virtually any common fastener. For truly stuck fasteners, I guess a 6 point is better but even then.... The SK's are quality, and made in USA. The round head ratchet that comes with it is also very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back