Ariens B&S 17.5 o/c w/MK additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let it drain overnight.Added a quart of Chevron 30 wt.On line the motor capacity was listed as a qt and a half.When I refilled it a quart brought it up to the full mark on the dipstick.???.Who knows why?

My room mate likes to ride the mower and my grass was pretty high so she jumped on the mower and started on the 2 acres of jungle.She did about half the yard,when she finished I put my hand on the top of the engine and it was uncomfortably warm.

The next day I decided to test something a fellow Bitog member had posted about. I added one ounce of MotorKote before the roomie jumped on the mower and finished the yard.When she finished the top of the motor was not warm to the touch.The mower certainly sounded smoother as the cut progressed.So I feel the MK did something to lessen friction.
Interesting.

Cool story?

Want to reduce engine temps? Clean the engine of debris and grass around the cooling fins. Blow out the cooling fins with compressed air. Running a synthetic 5W30 or 10W30 motor oil has been shows to lower engine temps 5-10 degrees over conventional oil. I doubt there are many additives on the market that can realistically lower your engine temps.

.Just giving a bit of anecdotal evidence to something reported by another member.The ambient temp was the same,workload on the mower was the same,rider was the same,gas used was the same.Only difference in the two days was 1oz of MK on the second day.So if the engine was cooler to the touch something happened to reduce operating temps.

If I had a temp sensor I would have taken a reading each day.Now that would have been cool.If friction was reduced that is great,leading to less wear and longer engine life.On the other hand if the the heat is being trapped in the engine somehow that will lead to early oil cooking which would not be good.

I guess long term mower use will show.

I believe in a good 15w40 diesel oil. That way when you're running it hard in tall grass and it's 100 degrees outside and the oil temps are approaching 280 degrees, you'll still have a good amount of oil film separating the bearings. Air cooled engines run hot and it's not uncommon for me to feel the heat from the engine while on the mower. Normal oil temps are about 250 degrees.

Ah yes the infamous hand to the manifold test.

You don't/didn't have a different user name here a while back, did you?

Originally Posted By: urrlord
My room mate likes to ride the mower and my grass was pretty high so she jumped on the mower and started on the 2 acres of jungle.She did about half the yard,when she finished I put my hand on the top of the engine and it was uncomfortably warm.

The next day I decided to test something a fellow Bitog member had posted about. I added one ounce of MotorKote before the roomie jumped on the mower and finished the yard.When she finished the top of the motor was not warm to the touch.The mower certainly sounded smoother as the cut progressed.So I feel the MK did something to lessen friction.

I just replaced the head gasket on my Briggs 21HP engine. From what I have read, HGs are a common failure on Briggs engines.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Are you trying to say something?or start something?kschachn if you want you can pm me about this chknsht act of yours.....

Just asking if you were the previous hand to manifold tester on BITOG.

A simple yes or no would have been fine, threats aren't necessary.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Are you trying to say something?or start something?kschachn if you want you can pm me about this chknsht act of yours.....

Alright.
Fair enough.You may want to come off the snarkiness a bit on your end.From your post it looked like you were accusing me of being a shill or some one trolling under different names.I only have one account here and I did not appreciate the accusation.And I have not issued any threats ,I merely was suggesting if you had a problem with me we should discuss it privately.

You have a good day.

Where can I get this miracle oil additive? Slick 50 was the last one I used. I shut the key off and the engine kept running for 8 minutes. Oil froze up solid it ran so cool. Had to put an electric blanket around the block. Was 105 outside too.

slomo

Mildly amusing slomo.

I guess from the post you are not open minded enough to give it a shot.
I'm also guessing you had difficulty reading the first post MOTOR KOTE is the additive.Available at WalMart and most parts stores.
Try some.

But I doubt you will.

Mildly amusing slomo.

I'm also guessing you had difficulty reading the first post MOTOR KOTE is the additive.Available at WalMart and most parts stores.
Try some.

But I doubt you will.

THIS JUST IN:
Pert Plus outperforms Motorkote in the one armed bandit test.
maybe try that next in the mower.

If he were to try it, or if I were to do so, what specifically would we look for to tell if it is "working" or not?

Mildly amusing slomo.

Try some.

But I doubt you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back