Fuel filter recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As part of my ongoing vehicle maintenance I plan to change the fuel filter in my 2001 Toyota Sequoia. 217,000 miles , 4.7 liter V8 with auto trams. Its running good but I can't find a receipt of when that was changed so it's an easy fix since it's a rail filter. Any suggestions on brand? I hopefully will order it on amazon or online. Thanks in advance for any filter suggestions!

When I replaced the one on my old Sienna I just got one at the dealer, I'm not sure if there were any aftermarket ones or not. It appears the one for your Sequoia is P/N 23030-50010 and is around $26-30.

If Motorcraft makes one for you car, get it. They use a stainless steel case, and IMO, it's worth getting just for that. I car's don't rust where you live (unsure) that might not be important to you.

I've heard that the NAPA Gold and ProSelect Fuel Filters are the same exact filter. If anyone knows the difference, I'd love to know!

Is there any difference between the OEM and Wix? I don't want to just throw any old filter on there but don't need top of the line either. I can get a Mann filter for 10 bucks less than the dealer fon Amazon.

Who makes the OEM filter anyway?

Thanks for the replies!

I think you'll find any of them will do just fine.. The Wix I just put on my Cadillac just looked like it was some other brand with a wix sticker on the box and made in Taiwan. Get whatever name brand filter you can find the cheapest and don't sweat it.

Originally Posted By: Tlhfirelion
Who makes the OEM filter anyway?

The one for my Sienna was made by Denso. FWIW, for the price it also includes the holder.

Originally Posted By: Cressida
Leave it alone or replace it with another filter from Toyota.
I'd say leave it alone unless you get a lean code. The Toyota sites have many "woe is me" tales about trying to replace fuel filters and causing broken or twisted fuel lines. Auto gas is a lot cleaner than it once was, even the FAA agrees. For reference, one of my Camrys still has the OEM filter at 350K. Getting the bottom connection off the Camry filter is a problem, even the stealers are not happy to get into the task. If the "technician" damages your fuel line trying to get the filter off, YOU pay for replacing the entire line, stealers won't just splice in a hunk of rubber fuel hose..I can't say I blame them. The system used by Toyota on their post mid 90 cars is a single pipe system which does not return fuel to the tank, unlike the old "shunt regulated" system where fuel was constantly pumped up front at full output and the excess returned to the tank to be pumped up front again. That resulted in the filter seeing the same fuel over and over, and the filters were large. The regulator for the single pipe system is in the tank, right at the pump. Only the fuel actually used is filtered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back