Boat hard to start. Here's a easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try just changing the spark plugs as I did yesterday. Different motor than the portable engine of ours.

The non-ethanol 89 small engine/boat fuel that's sold many places down here with what I add in the fuel helps. But plugs don't last forever. I changed them and darn it. That thing started like it should always if not every time it is at the boat ramp. When flushing and starting it with (ear muffs) before going to the water does reassure you might be in the clear, but we all at one time or another get [censored] off or have little patience at a busy ramp that usually should take the 5mins it should take at actual prepping and getting in the water. Get in and get out of the way for other impatient boaters!

Hmmm I'll do that next go around. Maybe in October or November I'll see about the iridium plugs. What is listed on the side of the motor is what I went with for now. NGK plugs. BPZ8H-N-10. Gapped 0.040" . The bottom cylinder was the plug that looked the worst of the three. We do use quicksilver synthetic blend premium plus 2stroke oil for it. In the other motor I use the Quicksilver Premium. Both TC-w3. Direct injection for the 50hp.

I also would like to say that 2stroke oil for your weedeaters and chainsaws does not need to be used for 2stroke outboards. And vice versa. One is obviously for water cooled engines. The other is for air-cooled.

I wouldn't trust the oils that are listed for both uses.

I used RP 2 stroke oil in everything... optimax etec small engines snowmobiles.. not tcw3 rated... never a problem... engine doesn't care what oil you use...
I use ETH free gas and seafoam in everything... clear sail always... I have a 10 gal gas caddy I can can push over to the gas station, fill up with ETH free add seafoam and back to the house... haven't taken a boat to a gas station in 6 years.
Don't need the muffs... just turn the key and start it... its either gonna run or not...
If your gonna fuss about plugs before going out you probably shouldn't be boating that day. These are public ramps, you can take as long as you want, no time limit... people get mad just give them the finger and tell them to have a nice day... you paid for it with your tax money...

Originally Posted By: Tuffy1760
I used RP 2 stroke oil in everything... optimax etec small engines snowmobiles.. not tcw3 rated... never a problem... engine doesn't care what oil you use...
I use ETH free gas and seafoam in everything... clear sail always... I have a 10 gal gas caddy I can can push over to the gas station, fill up with ETH free add seafoam and back to the house... haven't taken a boat to a gas station in 6 years.
Don't need the muffs... just turn the key and start it... its either gonna run or not...
If your gonna fuss about plugs before going out you probably shouldn't be boating that day. These are public ramps, you can take as long as you want, no time limit... people get mad just give them the finger and tell them to have a nice day... you paid for it with your tax money...

That must be you in Old Forge then. LOL

When I had my boat I would be ready to launch before the boat ramp and would maneuver around and launch while the morons would prep their boats to launch on the ramp.

CT8 that's the way to go... I could launch and load my boat by myself real fast... here in NY we have these weed inspected guys at the ramp... I take great joy in being rude to these guys... they get to the ramps at 6... I launch at 5:30... when I get back they complain I shouldn't have launched... I ignore them completely and drive away.

CT8 that's the way to go... I could launch and load my boat by myself real fast... here in NY we have these weed inspected guys at the ramp... I take great joy in being rude to these guys... they get to the ramps at 6... I launch at 5:30... when I get back they complain I shouldn't have launched... I ignore them completely and drive away.

They are only trying to stop the spread of evasive species like zebra mussels.

. These are public ramps, you can take as long as you want, no time limit... people get mad just give them the finger and tell them to have a nice day... you paid for it with your tax money...

Thanks Tuffy!! That's great!

Yeah, I would or should put in a can of seafoam or B12 chemtool, too.
I'm at a 1/4 tank for one and almost empty in the other. I'll get a couple cans this weekend.

I

Originally Posted By: Donald
Did you fog the engine in the fall?

Not the 50hp.

But from now on I think we will. I'll fog any other small engine stuff that doesn't get used ever during winter. Any opinions on which foggers to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back