04 Mercedes c230 any good

Status
Not open for further replies.
A buddy of mine is looking at picking up a used 04 kompressor w 115k miles in decent shape for $4000. We like to maintain and work on our vehicles as a hobby, learning exp and to save money. I don't have any experience w Benz and neither does he. Any known issues w this year? Should he run the other way? Test drive is tomorrow

Run
15.gif

If he wants a nice luxury car, have him pick up a Lexus like an LS400

I have to respectfully disagree with my fellow posters here: The advice to just run is grossly inaccurate...I'd run as fast as I could.

The elan of a Mercedes is for the first owner only. Subsequent owners are not only poseurs, but really stupid. The amount of time and money and basic agita on an old Benz are incomprehensible.

Hello Fellow member,

I saw your post and although everyone else said run, here are a few things to keep in mind. If you don't mind working on the Mercedes yourself then it can be a bargain. Keep in mind my boss purchased the same vehicle that you were looking at, but a couple of years back. The hydraulic trunk actuator broke costing her $700 plus installation at the dealership. Here is an article from jalopnik that is really neat showing a guy who purchased a Mercedes S600 for almost nothing, but with work he has a $94,000 car for cheap. Cheap Mercedes

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Run
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Run
Originally Posted By: montero1
Run
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
RUN!!!!!

I guess you have your answer.

BTW I bought a 1995 LS400 for $3000 and have driven it for 8K miles with just an oil change and tire rotation... car drives much better than my 2008 accord

I have a later E class. Don't know that much about C class. Earlier E class from 2003-2006 had many problems. C class cars were known to be even worse. You should check the Mercedes forums at benzworld.org and mbworld.org. Only good thing would be that at this stage, there are probably aftermarket parts for common problems and you can get used parts at the junkyard. Parts are typically 2-3x what they would normally be on a regular car, for instance my rotors are like $90+ instead of some other cars that may run $30.

Still I enjoy driving it.

Unless he has an unlimited income i would not buy a Mercedes they are nothing but trouble.. Get a used Ford,GM,Toyota,Hyundai or Honda they are better cars and usually cheaper to fix.

I bought my wife a used Mercedes SLK 320 back in '05. I think it was an '01 with 52k. It had 1 previous owner, and was in EXCELLENT shape, no dings, scratches, rust, curb rash on the wheels, and the interior was like new. My wife decided to ditch it at 120k, because the exhaust rusted out, and cost $1300 or so, then the PSE Pump, that operates all the door locks and power hard top went out. She was OK with that, those repairs happened when it had well over 100k. The final straw was when the PSE had another problem, or a short in the system somewhere, after she had spent $1500 or so months before, she just got frustrated with it. We live a ways away from a reputable German Car mechanic, and she was just done with it. All in all, it wasn't a bad car, aside from the horribly uncomfortable seats. I was able to do every bit of maintenance to it, including all the plugs and wires with not much of a problem. I just wouldn't want one that already has over 100k on it. I'll likely never own another Mercedes again, and if I did, it would have to be new (never going to buy another new car) or less than 10k on it and 5 years old and it would have to be 2/3 it's original MSRP. Even then, it would be a weekend fun car, I doubt I would daily drive it.

Moreover, it's not that it's a Mercedes, it's that it's a Mercedes from the worst era of Mercedes history, the Daimler Chrysler Era. Ask any German mechanic, he'll tell you those years from '97/98 til '07 were horrible.

My co-worker had an '06 C-class that had a check engine light on that had some sensor that had failed, and caused the Check Engine light to come on, which means in MD it won't pass emissions. To get this sensor replaced, involved removing the motor, and several places wouldn't even touch it, or wanted $3500.

The only other experience I've had with Mercedes is my friends '02 S55. NICE car. He beat that car to death, and the only thing that really went wrong mechanically was one day he came out and the whole thing was on the ground (suspension failed). The GPS and Radio stopped working, and of course to fix the stock stuff was a lot of money. That car is really over-engineered, so I expected it to take the beating. The downfall for him, is he isn't the type to get his hands dirty, so he paid out the a55 for any service it needed. I don't think he knows how to check the oil.

I guess if you are handy in the garage, or know that you may be in for some dents in the wallet, go ahead get one. Personally, I would have to have been the one that maintained it it's whole life and knew the history before I even took it over at 100k+.

P.S. I would buy a used G500 and love it like my first born.

Last edited:
I would consider it a project and buy it as cheap as possible. Many stories of people buying cheap and doing their own repairs.BMW 7 series are good candidates. I would never consider taking a german car of that age to the dealer.

I bought my wife a used Mercedes SLK 320 back in '05. I think it was an '01 with 52k. It had 1 previous owner, and was in EXCELLENT shape, no dings, scratches, rust, curb rash on the wheels, and the interior was like new. My wife decided to ditch it at 120k, because the exhaust rusted out, and cost $1300 or so, then the PSE Pump, that operates all the door locks and power hard top went out. She was OK with that, those repairs happened when it had well over 100k. The final straw was when the PSE had another problem, or a short in the system somewhere, after she had spent $1500 or so months before, she just got frustrated with it. We live a ways away from a reputable German Car mechanic, and she was just done with it. All in all, it wasn't a bad car, aside from the horribly uncomfortable seats. I was able to do every bit of maintenance to it, including all the plugs and wires with not much of a problem. I just wouldn't want one that already has over 100k on it. I'll likely never own another Mercedes again, and if I did, it would have to be new (never going to buy another new car) or less than 10k on it and 5 years old and it would have to be 2/3 it's original MSRP. Even then, it would be a weekend fun car, I doubt I would daily drive it.

Moreover, it's not that it's a Mercedes, it's that it's a Mercedes from the worst era of Mercedes history, the Daimler Chrysler Era. Ask any German mechanic, he'll tell you those years from '97/98 til '07 were horrible.

My co-worker had an '06 C-class that had a check engine light on that had some sensor that had failed, and caused the Check Engine light to come on, which means in MD it won't pass emissions. To get this sensor replaced, involved removing the motor, and several places wouldn't even touch it, or wanted $3500.

The only other experience I've had with Mercedes is my friends '02 S55. NICE car. He beat that car to death, and the only thing that really went wrong mechanically was one day he came out and the whole thing was on the ground (suspension failed). The GPS and Radio stopped working, and of course to fix the stock stuff was a lot of money. That car is really over-engineered, so I expected it to take the beating. The downfall for him, is he isn't the type to get his hands dirty, so he paid out the a55 for any service it needed. I don't think he knows how to check the oil.

I guess if you are handy in the garage, or know that you may be in for some dents in the wallet, go ahead get one. Personally, I would have to have been the one that maintained it it's whole life and knew the history before I even took it over at 100k+.

P.S. I would buy a used G500 and love it like my first born.

That sounds like you're talking about the M272, that was a balance shaft problem. Costs now is up to 5-6k at the dealer and they do have to take the engine out to replace the balance shafts. An indy might be around $3k although the parts are only a few hundred. That was basically all the 2006 engines and it didn't get fixed until the early 1/3 of the 2007 engines. That's why 2008+ are better.

The other option is to pick up a used one that still has some of the original 4 year/50k warranty and get an extended warranty from MB for up to 7 years/100k. Those cost about 3k and a 3-4 year old E350 is in the $25-30k range although they were 50-60k new.

The other thing with an older C class like the 2003 is that they didn't have too many options that came around later. No pano sunroof, no keyless go, no parktronic, no Sirius, although it did have bixenons as an option, but who knows if the car you're looking at has that. Also heated seats are an option, on the E class it's an option but most cars had them.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Run
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Run
Run
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
4K will get you a great used honda or toyota.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Run
15.gif

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
Run. Nothing's more expensive than a cheap Mercedes.
Originally Posted By: Noey
I'd run as fast as I could.
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
RUN!!!!!
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Run
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i would not buy a Mercedes they are nothing but trouble...

Sounds like they're great cars. Buy it!

crackmeup2.gif

Had a 2003 C320: 8'times in shop before I sold it at 8 months. Horrible car. Was less reliable new than an 86 Saab that had been donated to a charity.

Run!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back