Winter + Slightly off concentration of glycol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious if this is a problem. I finished swapping out the timing belt on my 4Runner and flushed the coolant with Toyota Red. I discovered that I must have used a little too much water, because according to my hydrometer, the freezing point of the solution is about -30C (so roughly 45% EG/Water).

Here in Canada, we do occasionally reach as low as -45C in the winter. Would the concentration being off by 5% really cause any issues? Or do you guys think I should drain out some fluid and aim for a 60% EG/Water ratio to get the lowest freezing point?

The bottle of Toyota red doesn't give a minimum concentration, only a maximum. Unless your owner's manual says otherwise then from a mechanical (corrosion prevention) standpoint it doesn't appear it would be detrimental.

As far as a freezing point goes that's up to you. If I lived where it gets down to -45, I wouldn't want my coolant only good to -30. But maybe that's just me.

If you're worried and your area gets temps cold enough to freeze it drain some off and replace it with the concentrate undiluted. Better safe than sorry, or waking up in the middle of the night during a cold snap next winter worrying.

A 50% mix only goes to -39C. 45% is -30C, as you say. I'd move it up to 55%, which is good to -46.

Just add a little 100% antifreeze until you get to the correct percent on your hydrometer.

The good news is that you've got lots of time to get it right.

Does the engine have a block heater? Is there any practical situation when the engine would cold soak, without a heater, to -45 in the winter?

Is it a true -45, not wind chill?

I'd want it to be right, personally, unless I noted other issues with cooling of the engine, in which case I'd consider running a summer and winter blend and rigging a way to do a fast swap...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Better safe than sorry, or waking up in the middle of the night during a cold snap next winter worrying.

agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back