Good synthetic oil for ford transit ecoboost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2015 ecoboost that just turned 3000 miles. I plan on keeping the van for a long time and want a good synthetic oil. I'm thinking about 5000 mile oil changes since any longer scares me! I need to stick with 5w30 since it's under warranty for the next 3 years. Thanks

Last edited:
PU 5w30. You can get it online from Walmart for about $28 for a 5 qt. jug. Buy two and get it shipped to your front door free.

Any of the synthetics available at Walmart (even Walmarts own ST syn.) would serve you well at a 5K OCI interval. I agree that PP and M1 are among the best...

You won't see any benefits from running syn oils at 5,000 mile oil change intervals.

Originally Posted By: CT8
You won't see any benefits from running syn oils at 5,000 mile oil change intervals.

Nope if someone were to do 5K changes, just use Supertech or Napa Synthetic on sale. Or better yet just Supertech conventional.

I'm ok wasting money by shortening the oil intervals to 5000k. I have researched enough on here to realize syn oils can go way further. I guess it makes me feel better running something that will keep the engine clean, protect it, something with a good additive package for the turbo etc.. What's the difference in pen soil platinum in the silver jug and the ultra platinum in the black jug? I can't find the black jug locally anywhere.

Originally Posted By: Jetstreamz06
I'm ok wasting money by shortening the oil intervals to 5000k.

That is a very, very long interval.

I am running Mobil 1EP in my transit. I am following the oil minder. It goes on calling for an oc at a little over 9,000 miles. I intend to follow the computer and will continue with M1 since it is high mileage rated and should have plenty of life at change time.

I have a 2015 ecoboost that just turned 3000 miles. I plan on keeping the van for a long time and want a good synthetic oil. I'm thinking about 5000 mile oil changes since any longer scares me! I need to stick with 5w30 since it's under warranty for the next 3 years. Thanks

I've run Dealer Oil in mine as well as Pennzoil Platinum. Changes in the Taurus are according to the OLM (7.5k) and the truck gets every 6 months or the IOLM (10k).

Car turns 100k in 300 miles and 0 engine issues. Truck has 68k with no issues either.

For such short intervals, just use whatever meets Ford's specs. Those spec are designed for 10k intervals for at least 150k engine life so you'll be fine. The EB 3.5 is a robust platform.

thanks for the input. I could just wait for the computer to tell me to change it, or change every 7500, i just have to retrain my thinking of the old fashioned 3000 mile changes.

7,500 K will let you sleep at night until you get used to longer oil changes. When mine got to 9K and the light had not come on, I admit that I got a little nervous.

You have the right idea about keeping oil changes to 5,000 miles on that EcoBoost! EcoBoosts are known for oil shearing & fuel dilution in oil, neither are healthy for the engine. 5,000-6,000 miles is best. My vote goes to Pennzoil Platinum, I have had excellent experiences with it. But any name brand synthetic will do fine.

If you're only doing 5k OCI go with dino like Havoline or PYB. Welcome to the new school lol. With synthetics you can go longer. For synthetics I like PP. Right now Pennzoil is running a rebate for $10 off 5 qts. Also on Amazon if you choose 'Subscribe and Save '(which you can always cancel once after you receive your first order), PP 5 qts is $19.10. So $19.10-$10= $9.10 for PP before taxes which is a steal of a bargain.

sounds good guys. can you tell me the difference between the pennzoil in the silver bottle, and the ultra platinum in the black bottle?

sounds good guys. can you tell me the difference between the pennzoil in the silver bottle, and the ultra platinum in the black bottle?

Besides price and the color of the bottles, not much LOL. There's been a couple threads here on PUP vs PP but I did a quick search and wasn't able to find it. Maybe someone else will find it for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back