Gas Push Mower Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: JTK
What price point are you looking at? Unless you're talking a Toro Super Recycler, a Honda or a higher end Snapper or Ariens, pretty much all the rest are the same.

A Snapper hi-vac, Toro Super Recycler (has to be a "Super") or a Honda is going to be your best 3 baggers.

He wants a manual walk-behind, not a personal pace.

Where did he say that?

What price point are you looking at? Unless you're talking a Toro Super Recycler, a Honda or a higher end Snapper or Ariens, pretty much all the rest are the same.

A Snapper hi-vac, Toro Super Recycler (has to be a "Super") or a Honda is going to be your best 3 baggers.

Where did he say that?

Reading comprehension is fundamental.

Originally Posted By: jims5600
In the market for a gas push mower. I have a lawn tractor and need a mower to cut around flower beds,bushes,etc.

I recommend a push reel mower for this.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Where did he say that?

Reading comprehension is fundamental.

Brain comprehension is utmost more important than reading comprehension. Normally when the OP's need is to do circles around flower beds, get into bushes that are normally located along fence lines or abut to fences / dead-ends going straight....etc....etc..... a manual mower makes more sense and it's usually the pick.

Notice the OP never mentioned mowing lots with it, in his first post?

Try to think things out a little better Bubba.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
you cant go wrong with anything 6.5hp briggs/stratton, 5.5hp can be usable but if your grass gets too tall it will struggle.

They no longer put HP ratrings on briggs engines.

The number is the torque rating. I assume you multiply ...T x RPM/5252. Their 140cc 5.0 engine is about 3.5 HP which is adequate.

I bought a push, rear-bag 6.5 HP Craftsman 12 years ago. I use it at least twice a month. Normal maintenance, push prime, still starts on first pull.

Quote:
They no longer put HP ratrings on briggs engines.

The number is the torque rating. I assume you multiply ...T x RPM/5252. Their 140cc 5.0 engine is about 3.5 HP which is adequate.

So why is this? Why no more horsepower ratings, is it confusing foreigners that live in the Metric system? Imperial horsepower, metric horsepower?

Why would you need to know a torque rating on a mower? Is someone just slapping off the shelf generic engines on mower decks? Why would this be a better measurement than H.Power?

These are just push mowers people, why confuse widowed Great Grandma!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: _MAXIMUS_
Because torque is what you need when cutting through deep wet grass, not hp

Yeah, I get that, what I am asking is why is the consumer that considers 5hp engines as standard mower equipment concerned about torque?

Typically you can tell if a mower is good, by the HP rating. The change of measurement is not significant to warrant industry change. The torque of the engine does not really play in the purchase of a push mower. People are not going to dealerships and special ordering because of torque, they purchase based mostly on Brand, deck design, bagger, mulches, options.

If you are cutting deep wet grass you need a DR Trimmer, really don't see the need to overcomplicate this. Any mower will get the job done, just at a slower pace.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted By: _MAXIMUS_
Because torque is what you need when cutting through deep wet grass, not hp

Yeah, I get that, what I am asking is why is the consumer that considers 5hp engines as standard mower equipment concerned about torque?

The truth is that in this country about 2 people out of 100 understand what a horsepower relationship vs grass really means....and its only a number. I am a mechanical engineer and when I buy a lawnmower of good quality and by a known manufacturer I am trusting that probably the mower has the correct engine installed on it. Why would you think otherwise even if you knew the HP rating?

Here is the explanation:
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_...rque-value.html

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

So why is this? Why no more horsepower ratings, is it confusing foreigners that live in the Metric system? Imperial horsepower, metric horsepower?

Horsepower ratings for most OPE went away after OPE manufacturers had to pay out millions in class action lawsuits because they had been overstating the horsepower for years.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Today, it's OK to simply use displacement as an indication of lawnmower power. 140cc is fairly weak. 190cc's is robust.

Remember the 195CC flat head Tecumseh? A weakling of a engine. Always stalling and low power.

I'd much rather have a 160cc overhead valve Briggs/Honda engine than a 195CC flat head Tecumseh.

I love my Honda.

That said if you have some basic mechanical skills (and since you are on this site I’ll bet you do) then this is the perfect time of year to find the perfect lawn mower for your touchup duties. You can drive around any nice neighborhood on any trash day in spring and find plenty of like new mowers that won’t start after sitting all winter and get thrown out. I find at least three a year without trying.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Today, it's OK to simply use displacement as an indication of lawnmower power. 140cc is fairly weak. 190cc's is robust.

Remember the 195CC flat head Tecumseh? A weakling of a engine. Always stalling and low power.

I'd much rather have a 160cc overhead valve Briggs/Honda engine than a 195CC flat head Tecumseh.

If the carburetor is clean and they run right the Tecumseh lawnmower engines have plenty of power. The problem is the carbs are hardly ever clean enough to make them run right.
grin.gif

I wouldn't buy a Honda as a trim mower. If it is something you use to do the whole lawn then maybe. Something like a Murray from WalMart would make a good trim mower.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back