ST 5w30 ok for 11' Impala 3.5 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and is ST 5w30 conventional ok for a 2011 Chevy Impala? Friend of my landlord has the car and $$ is tight. I have the ST 5w30 or 6 5qt jugs of it. Haven't checked to see if it requires DEXOS approved oil also

Thank you in advance and it will get a FRAM Tough guard filter and be on 6,500 oci's

Sounds good, and it will get a oil change tomorrow sometime. Thanks gentlemen
smile.gif

Of course the ST would be fine for this undemanding application.
6500 mile OCIs should be a piece of cake for any API SM/SN oil in most engines in most uses.
Many of us, including me, would look to a better quality oil and filter solution, but one has to ask just how many fleet Impalas have gone 200K on e-core filters and bulk SM/SN oil.
I'd say that this Impala would be fine on the oil and OCI you suggest.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Many of us, including me, would look to a better quality oil and filter solution, but one has to ask just how many fleet Impalas have gone 200K on e-core filters and bulk SM/SN oil.
I'd say that this Impala would be fine on the oil and OCI you suggest.

If we all (including me) could just understand, that the [slightly] lesser known oils, meet all the specs, and return very good UOAs, then we'd start to realize what a 'snake oil' advertising campaign were falling for. For example, if your car specs 87 octane gas, a lot of folks (we Americans who believe, more is better) would think 89 or 90+ octane, that yields the same gas mileage, is somehow better. In this case, we've just spent more money and gained nothing. Same with oil, if good oil will protect your car for 125,000 miles, then what have you gained by using expensive oil that also gets you 125,000 miles? If you have "enough" protection, then what does the extra protection get you? Of course, oil companies are playing on our not being able to do, or see, any side by side comparison/testing being done to quiet all the absurd advertising, so they market to the "best" protectioñ, and we eat it up.

Oil advertising is interesting isn't it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Nothing wrong with ST, but Napa Synthetic is on sale for $2.99 this month. It's rebranded Synpower

I'm not so sure the NAPA synthetic is better than the (WPP) ST synthetic....thoughts?

I don't see any reason the Napa synthetic would be better than ST synthetic, aside from possible warranty concerns due to lack of certs. The Supertech extreme cold performance appears significantly better (PQIA).

Also, I don't think the Napa synthetic is rebranded Synpower. It certainly is similar, but Synpower has significantly better extreme cold performance among other differences.

Originally Posted By: dew
I don't see any reason the Napa synthetic would be better than ST synthetic, aside from possible warranty concerns due to lack of certs. The Supertech extreme cold performance appears significantly better (PQIA).

Also, I don't think the Napa synthetic is rebranded Synpower. It certainly is similar, but Synpower has significantly better extreme cold performance among other differences.

I agree.

The VOA of ST syn. that I saw last year showed it to be excellent stuff. I'd probably choose it over the Napa but I'd use either.

that is a good combo and you can easily do 5k-6k on that. ST is a solid oil that many people have had good results with. Plus the 3.5 is a good engine that is easy on oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back