What paper engine air filter do YOU recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the Fram filters I used to use are being made in China. Although almost impossible I try to avoid made in China where possible.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Oem is hard to beat

Agree.

OEM engine air filer is probably best for not much more than aftermarket.

I used only OEM air filter in my 380+k miles LS400 before I parted it a month ago. I used pantyhose as pre-filter and I only changed the filter every 60-70k miles.

My choice is Purolator P1 (blue media) or Fram Tough Guard (yellow media) when available. They are lightly oiled but still regular paper media. Not enough oil to damage a MAF, but still helps with the filtering.

When the above is not available, I try to find the country of origin of regular brand filters and choose among the best such available.

But unfortunately for you, there is no TG or P1 air filter made for your car, and all the others are Chinese or Korean. So for your TL, just get the OEM air filter.

Many recent Honda air filters are oiled like the TG and P1.

I use Purolator classics on my car. The filter media seems to be pretty thick. I don't think you can go wrong with any major brand name for air filters.

The BMW gets Mann filters.

Do they make a Mann for it? I ordered one for my Camry on Amazon, was like $13. Excellent quality

I went with what was available. Purolator Classic. The MAF sensor was dirty so I cleaned it with MAF sensor cleaner. The ping I was chasing is now gone. The recommended 30,000 mile change interval is too long for Ranger 4.0L. It was the best $22 spent.
grin.gif

Not bashing Fram here but when I got my truck it had a Fram that needed changing. I replaced it with a Carquest wix and I couldn't believe the weight difference, the wix was a lot heavier and had more pleats and just looked better built. Just to clarify this is the old round filter, I have not compared the newer flat style filters.

Last edited:
In my place, i am using SAKURA...
Before i used to use KnN-look-like..

With dusty road condition, could y'all suggest me the best change interval?

I drive sometimes 75% racer and 25% family..

I had elevated silicon levels with a Fram air filter using a Honda J30A V6 engine which disappeared after returning to OEM. The seal quality is critical and Fram is not as good as OEM for this particular engine.

Originally Posted By: NO2
I had elevated silicon levels with a Fram air filter using a Honda J30A V6 engine which disappeared after returning to OEM. The seal quality is critical and Fram is not as good as OEM for this particular engine.

Agree.

I don't remove/reinstall air filter frequently, usually no more than once or twice in 3-5 years, replace the filter on second or third removal. The more the filter is removed the chance to damage the seal is higher.

I like to use Fram but for the 2014 Taurus SHO, I'm not sold on the huge metal mesh they use on their air filters. I'm thinking it would be a restriction, however minor it is.

For my performance cars, I run cold air intakes with the conical K&N or K&N style filters along with the pre-charger wraps. The wraps don't provide any restriction, but prevent the grit and objects larger than fine talcum dust from touching the elements. This greatly increases the service life of the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back