Help w/Transmission Drain/Fill 08 Honda CR-V 4wd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dave123
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
So your "best way" is better than. Honda's service direction? Sure thing.

OP, I'm truly envious that your transmission has a dipstick.

I'm not the clueless person asking how to do a drain and fill on something as easy as a Honda transmission just posting experience and works best he can do whatever he wants it's not my vehicle.

No, you were just posting the wrong information for the specific Honda I'm working on. Maybe you should get a "clue"! Some Honda's may be checked when cold but the 2008 CR-V is not one of them.

Had you bothered to read the original post, I was simply asking for suggestions on a catch container that could be used to measure the amount of fluid that comes out when the drain plug is removed. Here is a picture from the owners manual on the procedure for checking the fluid in a 2008 Honda CR-V. Pay particular attention to the very first sentence!

image_zpstsozxtjd.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Empty gallon water jug, measuring cup, sharpie, water, is how I do it.

This works great - the way I've been doing it for 140k miles on the civic - minus the water.

klt - the capacity should be listed in the manual - probably around 3 quarts for a drain and refill.

Late model Honda owners: while it might work for dave, if atf is topped off based on a cold dipstick reading, you stand the possibility of overfilling which could damage the tranny. There's a reason the manual requires checking the level at operating temp.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill_G

This works great - the way I've been doing it for 140k miles on the civic - minus the water.

klt - the capacity should be listed in the manual - probably around 3 quarts for a drain and refill.

Late model Honda owners: while it might work for dave, if atf is topped off based on a cold dipstick reading, you stand the possibility of overfilling which could damage the tranny. There's a reason the manual requires checking the level at operating temp.

Bill_G,

A light bulb just came on in my head and I remembered to look in the capacity section of the manual and there it was. It is listing 2.7 quarts for a drain and fill. However, reading several Honda specific forums owners of 4wd CR-V's are reporting a tad over 3.5 quarts. The empty gallon jug and a sharpie sounds cheap and effective.

Originally Posted By: klt1986
Originally Posted By: Bill_G

Bill_G,

A light bulb just came on in my head and I remembered to look in the capacity section of the manual and there it was. It is listing 2.7 quarts for a drain and fill. However, reading several Honda specific forums owners of 4wd CR-V's are reporting a tad over 3.5 quarts. The empty gallon jug and a sharpie sounds cheap and effective.

You're doing the right thing by making sure you put in the same amount that comes out - then check the level several times for a few days and top off if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back